Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: HFS: Loads of fun! [SPOILERS!]  (Read 4829 times)

joeyjo0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
HFS: Loads of fun! [SPOILERS!]
« on: June 22, 2009, 03:31:49 pm »

I was following an adamantine vein, like a lot of people do when they find it.
After a while, I breached the chamber. I quickly went to close it down. As I closed it down, demons appeared(I only unpaused the game for 2 seconds between breaching and the demons appearing) and began raping all of my poor dwarfes.

I drafted each and every dwarf in the fort and positioned them in a hallway...

...bloodshed ensued.

The final score:
Demons Killed: 2
Dwarfes died: 50

Screenshot here:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Lots of fun were had.

Discuss.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
Re: HFS: Loads of fun! [SPOILERS!]
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2009, 03:39:12 pm »

Yeah, tentacle demons are very dangerous to civilians, but you don't start digging the veins until you're ready, they're nothing ten or so champions can't handle.

Spirits of Fire are ornery sons of bitches, though.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Limul Thak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2009, 03:49:15 pm »

Yeah, spirits of fire are awful sumbizzatches. Tentacle and frog demons are much easier to take down, though. That's wierd, considering that tentacle demons are the most horrific (i.e., perverted and "depraved") ingame... :P
This game is so strange.
The horses have TEEN ANGST.

shadow_archmagi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2009, 03:54:48 pm »

For my fort I drafted the entire population and had them spend a year training with crossbows.

Then I sent them all onto a single tile, with the animal population of the fort blocking the corridor ahead (darn invisible demons won't be able to climb over the catwall without being spotted).

Huge seas of arrows ensued and many lives were lost.
invention is every dwarf's middle name
that means that somewhere out there theres a dwarf named Urist Invention Mcinvention.

joeyjo0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2009, 04:00:22 pm »

Funny thing is. The room is filled with tortured guys.

Then tentacle demons start flooding out.

What the hell did those demons do!? :O

Deimos56

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: unicorpion]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2009, 04:32:59 pm »

Pretend they played checkers and be a saner person for it.
Seriously. And pretend those puddles of 'unknown substance' aren't there.
I'm curious what the barely conscious ai wrote about.
Well that went better than expected.  He went nuts and punched a rabbit to death, then the dogs and the whole dining hall ripped him to shreds.

loopoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2009, 04:41:43 pm »

Do all maps have HFS? I seriously want this. I'd seal the chamber off once i'd killed the Demons and taken the adamantine...Preserving it for future generations. That's awesome :D

EDIT: Why is your FPS at 417? I find a FPS cap of 70 is perfect, near-dwarf speed. 50-60 is too slow, and 90 is WAY too fast...You must go through the game insanely fast, a season being about 10 minutes :D
« Last Edit: June 22, 2009, 04:43:23 pm by loopoo »

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2009, 05:11:05 pm »

Yeah, spirits of fire are awful sumbizzatches. Tentacle and frog demons are much easier to take down, though. That's wierd, considering that tentacle demons are the most horrific (i.e., perverted and "depraved") ingame... :P
Grasp on their claws can help a bit.  They become pretty nasty wrestlers if you do that.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2009, 05:18:03 pm »

Do all maps have HFS? I seriously want this. I'd seal the chamber off once i'd killed the Demons and taken the adamantine...Preserving it for future generations. That's awesome :D

While embarking, each mountain tile on the region (middle) map has a single local (left) map tile in which HFS may be found. You can see where HFS and other underground features are during embark by changing some settings in the data/init/init.txt file.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2009, 05:18:45 pm »

I think HFS is represented by a grey £ sign if you turn it on.

loopoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2009, 06:13:14 pm »

Aww damn, I embarked on a wooded plain :c So no HFS for me till the next fort :x

Can a squad of 6 LEGENDARY Wrestlers, Shield users and Weapon Users (Swords, Hammers, Axes) and a squad of 4 LEGENDARY Wrestlers, Shield users, Hammer users and Crossbow users take on a pit of demons?

Peewee

• Bay Watcher
  • Watcher Of Bays
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2009, 08:19:46 pm »

I think HFS is represented by a grey £ sign if you turn it on.

It's actually light blue / teal.

kotekzot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2009, 09:05:46 pm »

Aww damn, I embarked on a wooded plain :c So no HFS for me till the next fort :x

Can a squad of 6 LEGENDARY Wrestlers, Shield users and Weapon Users (Swords, Hammers, Axes) and a squad of 4 LEGENDARY Wrestlers, Shield users, Hammer users and Crossbow users take on a pit of demons?
depends on their type. sofs will walk all over those champions, frogs and tentacle demons will be slaughtered.
Dwarf Fortress: Where violent death is a renewable resource
Bro, your like... thinking like a square man... its like, the WHOLE lamprey is just like, one big NECK dude, you know? its like hahahaha! dude protect the trees though, seriously. *inhale*... anyways... you like, want this dead black bear, bro?

Fault

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2009, 08:35:50 pm »

i've only ever encountered a Spirit of Fire, but I did manage to build an effective defense to keep him out of the rest of my fortress. And I only lost one dwarf in the process!

The only way out of his chamber is a single-tile wide series of walls, pits, and fortifications, and the ramp out has been floored over. Then There's another wall.

So far its kept him contained.. I don't know why he doesn't just knowck down the walls and fly over the pits though.

Byakugan01

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2009, 08:42:05 pm »

...you say you have ONE SoF? You actually have about 20 you aren't seeing. I'm going to guess your framerate has been murdered recently...and the reason he hasn't destroyed the wall is because walls, floors etc are currently indestructible.
From Mr. Welch's 1350 things he is not allowed to do in a RPG:
148. There is no Gnomish Deathgrip, and even if there was, it wouldn't involve tongs.
171. My character's dying words are not allowed to be "Hastur, Hastur, Hastur"
218. No matter my alignment, organizing halfling pit fights is a violation.
231. I am not allowed to do anything that would make a Sith Lord cry.
240. Any character with more than three skills specializing in chainsaw is vetoed.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4