Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: HFS: Loads of fun! [SPOILERS!]  (Read 4817 times)

Tcei

• Bay Watcher
  • Fear me! I am Bekat the Adorable Skull!
    • View Profile
Re: HFS: Loads of fun! [SPOILERS!]
« Reply #30 on: July 17, 2009, 04:13:28 pm »

One of my fav moments involved a fort I grew bored of.

I decided to end it with HFS and so sent my miner to the other side of the map and dug down, and stationed my military at the entrance to the tunnel. Nothing happened for a long while. I even sent a miner to dig out admantium from inside the pit. It wasnt until I set a stock pile for admantium and watched as the civilians marched out across the map and down into the narrow tunnel that things turned Fun.

Apparently a frog demon had made its way out before this and was hanging out of detection range near the entrance to the tunnel. As the first peasant was leaving with his load of admantium, he showed himself and slaughter the helpless dwarf before being pounded to death by my 6 legendary wrestlers/hammerdwarves/axedwarves. These brave soldiers then proceeded to fight their way into the tunnel as terrified civilans fled from the army of frog demons. Things went well, the soldiers even killed a higher demon with only a few minor wounds. Then they came across another demon and its SoF lover. The pair quickly killed 5 or the 6 champions, the 6th was left with a broken arm and missing both eyes, but alive as the pair made their way out of the tunnel and into the world, where they slaughtered a seige for me.

The surviving soldier groped his way blindly, deeper into the tunnel, stumbling apon more and more frog demons, terrified by the atrocities he saw visited upon his fallen friends before loosing his site he made no attempt to fight these demons, instead he fled allowing the monsters to beat and torture him. By the time he reached the pits both his legs had been pulled off, and most the rest of his body was severly damaged. As he neared the edge of the pit another demon appeared and the soldier, with a feirce cry grabed it and slid off the edge into the void.

After that it was your standard fair of helpless civies being raped by horrible demons.
....They just refuse to stay down unless butchered, in which case their skins will haunt you until you subdue and tan them. Never has legendary butcher and legendary tanner seemed so valueable as in this release.

Lymojo

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:SMARM][PREFSTRING:pendulous balls]
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 17, 2009, 04:31:52 pm »

He can't knock down walls because walls are completely indestructible.

Ahh, noooo. He knocked down walls like crazy when I first uncovered him. The miner who found the demon pit was also a mason, so I had him brick it up with some granite that was laying around as soon as I discovered it. He whipped up three walls in a row, and the SOF kicked'em all down.

I got a little message that said "A construction has been toppled by (SOF NAME)", like the messages you get when a tantruming dwarf knocks over a work shop.

Vids or it didn't happen.

Fault

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 24, 2009, 03:18:26 am »

Vids or it didn't happen.

I'll get right on it, good sir.

EDIT: found a pic. Sorry, but I don't quite know how to work videos yet.

« Last Edit: July 24, 2009, 01:11:39 pm by Fault »

SimRobert2001

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 24, 2009, 03:33:48 am »

i've had it happen to structures that were partially built.

My miner was desperately trying to build a wall when he was attacked, but only got partway through before the wall was destroyed.

Beanchubbs

• Bay Watcher
  • Khorne Flakes: Crunchy & Delicious
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 24, 2009, 04:35:42 am »

Someone asked this earlier but recieved no answer. Is there ever an end to the demons? Or do they just keep coming and coming and coming?
Yikes, the Orcs have a nasty language.  Traditional foreplay would be right out for them; how would they ever "say my name" for one another?  No wonder Ocrs are always so bloodthirsty and violent, they're getting sub-par action.

Graven

• Bay Watcher
  • Don't we all just love contact juggling?
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 24, 2009, 06:48:46 am »

There is. I've only breached HFS once, but it was about 20 SoF and a Demon leader.
What a strange and beautiful world I beheld, but dangerous too, I was certain. And I was friendless and homeless. And so I prayed.
"Hear me, exalted spirits. Hear me be you gods or devils, ye who hold dominion here. I am a wizard without a home. I am a wanderer seeking refuge."

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 24, 2009, 07:07:43 am »

Here's to hoping future updates will include an option to let HFS attacks be never-ending. Like a yearly event or so.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 24, 2009, 07:53:03 am »

Here's to hoping future updates will include an option to let HFS attacks be never-ending. Like a yearly event or so.
No idea why it would be an annual event.  Either continuous or on a geologically-long cycle respawn time, or just randomly as and when enough HFSites gather together up at the cold ceiling of the mantle, at one of the intruiging little holes in it, and decide to see what had happened to the brethren, sistren and othren who had previously wandered up that way...

decius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 24, 2009, 11:54:36 am »

While embarking, each mountain tile on the region (middle) map has a single local (left) map tile in which HFS may be found. You can see where HFS and other underground features are during embark by changing some settings in the data/init/init.txt file.
To clarify: If the region tile is a mountain tile, there WILL be exactly one local mountain tile with HFS? (Placed in a similar way as Magma pools/pipes, UG pools, pits, and the like?)

I had thought that there was one HFS local tile per named mountain RANGE. Checking the wiki- I find the phrasing ambigious.
TBH, I think that all dwarf fortress problem solving falls either on the "Rube Goldberg" method, or the "pharaonic" one.
{Unicorns} produce more bones if the werewolf rips them apart before they die.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 24, 2009, 12:10:12 pm »

There is one on every region tile that happens to be a mountain. That's the center screen in the embark screen.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

jokermatt999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 24, 2009, 04:30:14 pm »

If you change "other features" in the init.txt to "Always", it's easy to see this for yourself as well. However, some people might see that as taking the fun out of finding HFS as it will greatly narrow down your search.

doctorspoof

• Bay Watcher
  • [FIREBREATH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 24, 2009, 05:18:00 pm »

Back on the wall toppling thing;
I've noticed that if you try and construct a wall on a tile that is part of the HFS cavern (i.e., already dug out) it'll immediately be toppled, but without that SoF name or whatever that Fault saw.
It just said 'Wall Toppled' as soon as it was built.
Extremely terrifying for a newbie player's first HFS, with a military consisting of a single marksdwarf.
The best way to avoid tantrum spirals is to make sure no-one lives long enough to make any friends.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 24, 2009, 11:08:20 pm »

Welp, turns out Spirits vaporize water on contact, and foolishly I didn't add a floodgate so I couldn't stop it. Hello 12fps!
While that is, of course, obvious, I must admit that my plan for tapping HFS at some future time was to include a reservoir ready to flood the scene (possibly a special intermediary hallway, if not the HFS area) to deal with the various the elementals accordingly.  So, that won't work.  Ok.

Sounds like an SOF miner (if one could recruit such a beasty) would be a useful 'person' to send to dig through aquifer layers, though.  Though perhaps it would be advisable to avoid bitumonous coal deposits. ;)

Water might not work, and magma might not work, but put them together...
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 26, 2009, 08:41:55 pm »

No idea why it would be an annual event.  Either continuous or on a geologically-long cycle respawn time, or just randomly as and when enough HFSites gather together up at the cold ceiling of the mantle, at one of the intruiging little holes in it, and decide to see what had happened to the brethren, sistren and othren who had previously wandered up that way...

Oh I'd love it to be random, actually. So that you never know when the next attack is going to come. ;D

Lord Dakoth

• Bay Watcher
  • That's a hammerin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 26, 2009, 11:58:38 pm »

Someone asked this earlier but recieved no answer. Is there ever an end to the demons? Or do they just keep coming and coming and coming?

Only in Adventure mode are the demons endless.
Avatar by legendary engraver /u/Redicno of reddit.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4