Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Mining Out Veins of Ore  (Read 1484 times)

Foxbyte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Mining Out Veins of Ore
« on: June 22, 2009, 01:05:35 pm »

How do you mine your ore? Do you just leave it, or do you transport it back to your fortress so it can sit in a nice little pile [be it extradimensional or not!] near your smelter?

Last night I spent four hours trying to transfer native gold ore out of a massive vein I hit digging my moat.
There is an engraving of three dwarves in a dining room. The third dwarf is a soaper.

Peewee

• Bay Watcher
  • Watcher Of Bays
    • View Profile
Re: Mining Out Veins of Ore
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2009, 01:07:05 pm »

I use a dwarven quantum storage unit to vacuum up all of my stone (and ore) and put it in a neat little pile in the middle of my workshops.

Foxbyte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2009, 01:28:17 pm »

I use a dwarven quantum storage unit to vacuum up all of my stone (and ore) and put it in a neat little pile in the middle of my workshops.

I bet it takes a while when the vein is on the other edge of the map. :) Even with 50 dwarves I can't seem to get them to work in harmony.
There is an engraving of three dwarves in a dining room. The third dwarf is a soaper.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2009, 01:35:32 pm »

I mine it out if mining it wouldn't interfere with my architecture, wait for my dwarves to start moving it to my ore stockpile closer to my workshops, then smelt it.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Peewee

• Bay Watcher
  • Watcher Of Bays
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2009, 01:42:24 pm »

I bet it takes a while when the vein is on the other edge of the map. :) Even with 50 dwarves I can't seem to get them to work in harmony.

Not really. I change things just for when I'm hauling. [SPEED:0] and no invaders etc...

Foxbyte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2009, 01:46:37 pm »

I mine it out if mining it wouldn't interfere with my architecture, wait for my dwarves to start moving it to my ore stockpile closer to my workshops, then smelt it.

Nothing makes me rage more than when I think 'Oh, I'll use this place here for X' and as soon as I break the wall there's this scattered patchwork of little bits of valuable ores and gems. :(

I tried to mentally break my habit of OCDing on fortress design though, smooth walls and constructed walls mercifully blend in together...

Not really. I change things just for when I'm hauling. [SPEED:0] and no invaders etc...

Wouldn't Speed 0 make it so dwarves don't move at all?

loopoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2009, 01:52:45 pm »

I usually mine out the area, then wall it up. Usually i'll come across veins when I dig out my 3 tile wide corridors. I'll wall up the inside, and if it interferes with rooms, i'll wall that up too. I don't mind too much now. Before, I would mine it then abandon that whole area :c Now I've learnt to just go with the flow :D

geoduck

• Bay Watcher
  • mollusk
    • View Profile
    • Geoduck's Page
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2009, 01:57:38 pm »

I'm really lazy; I just leave it where it is dug out, and make my smelter-dwarfs drag it all the way to the worksite. The only time I set up a stone stockpile is when I have a catapult going.
Geoduck's graphic set: simple and compact!

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2009, 01:58:41 pm »

Not according to the... well, some of the equations on the wiki article for speed. The rule of thumb equation doesn't like SPEED:0, but the more specific equations say that a dwarf like that will move ten times as fast as a dwarf with default speed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Foxbyte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2009, 02:01:12 pm »

Not according to the... well, some of the equations on the wiki article for speed. The rule of thumb equation doesn't like SPEED:0, but the more specific equations say that a dwarf like that will move ten times as fast as a dwarf with default speed.

I could have sworn the normal dwarfy speed was 1000, and with five ranks in agility they get something like 1800. o.O I must try this, since I had to drain the moat I've got tons of 2-5 water sloshing around, and it's really buggering my FPS. I want all that gold before I flood the place again. :D

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2009, 02:18:50 pm »

That's displayed speed (displayed in adventure mode, anyway), not raw speed. An unmodded, healthy dwarf with no agility stats has a raw speed of 900 (the default for any creature in the raws without a SPEED tag) and a displayed speed of 1000 (and moves once every ten frames). An identical dwarf that has just reached Perfectly Agile has a raw speed of 900 and a displayed speed of roughly 1800.

Reducing the raw speed makes the dwarf faster. According to at least one calculation, a dwarf with a raw speed of 0 has a displayed speed of 10,000 (and moves once every frame, ten times as fast as a normal dwarf). Due to the way agility works (according to the wiki, anyway), I don't think a perfactly agile SPEED:0 dwarf would be different.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2009, 02:19:48 pm »

Generally it depends on how many idle haulers I have. If they've nothing better to do, I'll make a dedicated ore stockpile near the smelters; otherwise, the furnace operators get to haul their own ore.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

LegacyCWAL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2009, 02:46:25 pm »

I typically don't like quantum stockpiling, so I use "normal" stockpiles to hold my impending-use ore.  However, quantum stockpiling is the only real way to order my haulers to do their damn job and take the ore from the vein to where it's supposed to go, so I have a quantum stockpile to one side that I only unforbid when I want to refill the "normal" stockpile.  That way, I get the hauling-control benefits of quantum stockpiling without the space saving that makes it an exploit 8)
HIDE THE WOMEN AND DROWN THE CHILDREN, THE BARON HAS ARRIVED.

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2009, 03:21:56 pm »

I use a small stockpile for metal ore to keep smelting running smoothly, but, generally, if I have magma, smelting ores is the basic activity of my fort. I have huge bar/block stockpiles of unused metal bars.
Hell, my last fort had 500-odd bars of iron laying around.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2009, 04:09:57 pm »

A skilled Furnace Operator shouldn't waste time doing their own long-distance hauling.  I think that's self-evident (but you asked.)

I don't like to haul above-ground, nor leave valuable ore out for thieves/monkeys to steal (they will if they can't find anything better.)

So I try to dig a tunnel to anything I find (even above-ground exposed veins) and tunnel into it from within - everything stays nice and safe, haulers don't get ambushed, etc.

Then, it's a matter of time.  Maybe use Dumping if things are moving slow (and I don't have a lot of other stuff/corpses around to mess things up), or just let a stockpile take care of it over time.

I do try to assign only Strong (or better) haulers to Stone Hauling, leaving the lighter Hauling tasks for non-Strong.
Pages: [1] 2