Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: The philosopher  (Read 1465 times)

SwiftAusterity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The philosopher
« on: June 22, 2009, 10:22:33 am »

Has anyone else had this occur:

Twice now my population has gotten past 100 (120 and 128) and the philosopher shows up. The economy hasn't started yet and no major nobles other than the dungeon master had shown, but this yahoo shows up. Moments later some dwarf throws a tantrum.

Everyone was happy up to that point. Everyone has 9 square bedrooms + 6 square dining rooms/offices with 2 chairs each with a cabinet and a chest. All administrators have 64 square bedrooms + 64 square dining room/office and a 15 square tomb. EVERYTHING was smoothed and engraved. 30 square main dining hall, 1000+ lavish prepared meals and 400+ stockpile of booze. 15+ champions guarding the place, always offduty unless something is attacking.

So the lazy bum shows up and someone almost immediately throws a tantrum. Last fortress the jerk destroyed the only bridge out, stranding 30+ dwarves half of whom managed to die to carp trying to swim the river back causing most of the fortress to also tantrum which brought down the entire place. Abandoned it with 70 out of 128 dwarves still alive. (20 were insane, the rest tantruming)

Has anyone else noticed the philosopher stirring things up? I'm certain it's coincidence but it's becoming a very annoying coincidence.

Lehmusjoki

Re: The philosopher
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2009, 11:01:33 am »

Everyone was happy up to that point. Everyone has 9 square bedrooms + 6 square dining rooms/offices with 2 chairs each with a cabinet and a chest. All administrators have 64 square bedrooms + 64 square dining room/office and a 15 square tomb. EVERYTHING was smoothed and engraved. 30 square main dining hall, 1000+ lavish prepared meals and 400+ stockpile of booze. 15+ champions guarding the place, always offduty unless something is attacking.

When the economy kicks in... Well, I just hope you have it disabled.

Anyways, I think the philosopher is a pretty nice guy. Never been much of a troublemaker in any of my forts, atleast.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2009, 11:04:15 am »

My philosopher has never done anything bad.  In fact, he's never done anything full stop.

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2009, 11:06:24 am »

I like him. It's amusing to see him pottering around, throwing goblins into pits, dragging baby animals into pits, and quoting dwarven haikus as he throws levers.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

Tenebrais

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2009, 11:11:43 am »

I like him. It's amusing to see him pottering around, throwing goblins into pits, dragging baby animals into pits, and quoting dwarven haikus as he throws levers.

Goblin invaders
We will take your shiny things
Die to lava flow.

SwiftAusterity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2009, 11:19:16 am »

When the economy kicks in... Well, I just hope you have it disabled.

Anyways, I think the philosopher is a pretty nice guy. Never been much of a troublemaker in any of my forts, atleast.

I had another 150+ rooms dug out which were basic tenements so everyone could afford them. I usually dig out 5 z-levels of nice apartments and another 8 of basic hovels in a weird flower shape pattern I've developed, with a 4 square waterfall going down the middle of the staircases.

It just keeps happening that he seems his arrival causes some idiot to go nuts, which causes all the idiots to go nuts. I'm never leaving a stone bridge over a carp river as the only way in or out in the future >.>

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2009, 12:13:24 pm »

Dwarven Soap Makers?
Surely you jest! I think not!
Here, have this chisel.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

loopoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2009, 01:46:31 pm »

I don't know what it is, but everyone seems to like playing the Medieval Ruler, and they can't resist building a moat. I built a moat once, had soldiers, civilians AND enemies drown in it, and I've never built another one ever again. I just channel instead, leaving it dry. That way my soldiers can get out, I can cage the enemies that fall in, and civilians don't get killed.

That way, if someone throws a tantrum and deconstructs a bridge, who ever is on it will just fall a z-level into my ditch pit.

I can't wait for my philosopher. I miner out his 6x9 room and his 10x10 lever room wayyyyyy early. My first year I think. Gonna engrave it all when he gets here, right now it's just smoothed. I'm gonna lock him in with food and everything, and just have him pull levers. Gonna put someone else in there as well, so if one is asleep, the other can pull the lever. Plus they can keep each other company AND be friends :D

ousire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2009, 01:50:31 pm »

noble wants some glass
i have no sand. lock them up
pull the switch, big spikes

Chutney

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2009, 02:39:07 pm »

I don't know what it is, but everyone seems to like playing the Medieval Ruler, and they can't resist building a moat. I built a moat once, had soldiers, civilians AND enemies drown in it, and I've never built another one ever again. I just channel instead, leaving it dry. That way my soldiers can get out, I can cage the enemies that fall in, and civilians don't get killed.

That way, if someone throws a tantrum and deconstructs a bridge, who ever is on it will just fall a z-level into my ditch pit.

I can't wait for my philosopher. I miner out his 6x9 room and his 10x10 lever room wayyyyyy early. My first year I think. Gonna engrave it all when he gets here, right now it's just smoothed. I'm gonna lock him in with food and everything, and just have him pull levers. Gonna put someone else in there as well, so if one is asleep, the other can pull the lever. Plus they can keep each other company AND be friends :D
Make one male and the other female, and they can start a family

loopoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2009, 02:53:11 pm »

Good idea. Will do. Cept, I hate babies. Badly. Babies and Children.

Babies...and Children.

Children....Babies....Hate....Spikes? Yes, spikes...Spikes, good idea spikes. Add a lever? Yes...

Uh, whoops, went into a bit of a day dream...Sorry bout that.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2009, 05:17:47 pm »

I like having a water filled moat to stop enemies from falling in and continuing to fire bolts at me.  Actually, I've adopted the rather quirky habit recently of making a moat around a water source in order to protect it from wild animals (and later walling it off to avoid enemy bolts during a siege).

loopoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2009, 06:09:46 pm »

To be honest, you have more chance of losing your own soldiers in the water, than you do of losing enemies. Enemies are expendable, soldiers are not. Soldiers'll dodge into water, it doesn't really matter if an enemy does, cause most enemies are easily taken care of. With a ditch, the only risk is that bowgoblins would shoot up at your wrestler, but what sane commander leads a charge against bowgoblins? I usually soften up the enemy first, make sure there are no bows ANYWHERE then send out my melee force. That, or I take on another side of the fort, seeing as they sometimes come from different areas and hang around for some reason.

Ditches are much better in my opinion. To be honest, who would send out melee soldiers against bowgoblins, that scenario would never happen. And i'm sure your entrance towers are higher than 3 z levels.

Azoth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2009, 07:42:46 pm »

You could designate the moat and a few tiles around it as restricted, and just keep your squads well away from it.

kotekzot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2009, 08:59:42 pm »

philosopher-controlled traps? or, better yet, connect some mechanisms that create hijinks inside your fortress and have your philosopher pull them casually. the most important noble ever.
Dwarf Fortress: Where violent death is a renewable resource
Bro, your like... thinking like a square man... its like, the WHOLE lamprey is just like, one big NECK dude, you know? its like hahahaha! dude protect the trees though, seriously. *inhale*... anyways... you like, want this dead black bear, bro?
Pages: [1] 2