Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Dragon Age: Origins, EA's spiritual successor to Balder's Gate 2.  (Read 5169 times)

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
Re: Dragon Age: Origins, EA's spiritual successor to Baulder's Gate 2.
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2009, 01:27:40 pm »

Apparently the game is moving away from the forgotten realms dnd based gameplay, dumbing down the combat to a style similar to FFXII.

Care to explain?  :o I don't know too much about the combat system of this upcoming game, but this sounds annoying if it's true.  :-\

Okenido

• Bay Watcher
  • Loli Advocate
    • View Profile
    • New Various Nonsense
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2009, 02:18:32 pm »

I hated both Bioware's combat system, and FFXII's system.

Unless there's REALLY good narrative, I'm not even going to try this.

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2009, 02:23:01 pm »

Apparently the game is moving away from the forgotten realms dnd based gameplay, dumbing down the combat to a style similar to FFXII.

Care to explain?  :o I don't know too much about the combat system of this upcoming game, but this sounds annoying if it's true.  :-\
Dumbing down an already dumbed down system? Har har, press X to kill!

TheToeBighter98

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2009, 01:03:10 am »

You're implying that Spore was somehow unfinished, and not intended to be the way it was when it was released.  This is obviously false.  There were videos in 05 of Spore gameplay.  They literally removed features that were already in the game and that they had already shown the public and completely reworked the game to make it more mainstream.  There is no way you are going to get any rational and knowledgeable person to agree with you that Maxis did that entirely of their own volition when EA was the publisher.  So EA allowed Mirror's Edge to be released.  That doesn't suddenly mean they didn't make an entire history of buying out and destroying good developers, and releasing really mediocre games.

Well, I only saw the prototype videos showing very similar concepts. Could you help refresh my memory, and remind me how the game play would have been different without EA? I'm sorry, but I don't recall any news about features being ripped out for the games release - its broken enough as it is, anyway. Do you actually know for a fact that EA forced Maxis to dumb it down? Or maybe it was just Will Wright, and the games development was focused on the creature creator, and ONLY the creature creator.

EA may have been buying out/destroying game developers while releasing copies of the same game, but you really should count in their favor that they took a chance and released several well made games like Mirrors Edge. Doesn't make up for all of their mistakes but it sure is a start.

Hm, are you new here.  I don't think I've seen you around before.  If I'm wrong, it's just because I've never seen someone use "shut up" as a rebuttal here before.

More of a joke really, you sensitive idiot. For me though, only for me. I also don't remember saying that Spore was unfinished. I remember stating that its a piece of trash, look it up it really is.

But what I really wanted to state by posting in this topic before we all changed subject was that the people whining and moaning about how EA is going to destroy Bioware, the guys behind some of the greatest RPG games ever made, really need to stop and think. Why would Bioware ever let that happen? Its as if Valve suddenly ceased all support for their games, or Blizzard released crappy game after game (maybe like Activision I guess).

Okenido

• Bay Watcher
  • Loli Advocate
    • View Profile
    • New Various Nonsense
Re: Dragon Age: Origins, EA's spiritual successor to Balder's Gate 2.
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2009, 01:15:20 am »

BioWare hasn't made a good game since Neverwinter Nights.
Their storytelling is also faltering quite a bit.

How could it get ruined further by EA?

TheToeBighter98

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2009, 01:24:33 am »

Troll, is that you?

IndonesiaWarMinister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2009, 01:52:43 am »

Flame war? In Toady's board?

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2009, 02:08:45 am »

Bioware no longer has a say in the matter.  They sold themselves to EA so EA is now the final word on everything.  They started making crappy games before they even sold out, but DA was supposed to be a return to form, pre NWN.  Yes it's technically possible that it was all Wright's idea to make Spore crappy and EA had nothing to do with it.  Anything's possible.  It's also so highly improbable given everything anyone who's paid any attention over the last few years knows about EA that you'd have to be irrational to assume that was the case.

Anyway, by the power of Google, I give you Spore as it originally was. http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=8372603330420559198 
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

TheToeBighter98

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2009, 03:51:07 am »

They sold themselves? A strong word to use. They were bought from EA, and that's it. Yes, EA has a say in the matter and yes, they most likely have changed it from what Baldurs Gate would have been. Like I said before, EA is a business first so it makes sense to make sure that DA:O isn't as difficult as Baldurs Gate, which was very difficult if you didn't understand the rules behind it.

Irrational, maybe, but I prefer to trust in Bioware. They have a good track record for good games (apart from NN1, and your preference) and they are the leading force in RPG games, with great story, combat, and terrible item interfaces. But enough with the fan boy praise! (you ninny)

You want to think that EA is going to screw another game company, I trust in their ability. Can we agree to that, and also agree that guessing isn't allowed (meaning no comments on how its doomed before its even out)?

As for that Spore footage, its just a more realistic representation of the game. I'm sure that the demo fails to mention the horribleness of it all, but I'm not going to argue how lame Spore is.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2009, 05:50:46 am »

TheToeBighter98 has received a warning.  You can make your points without throwing in insults every so often.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2009, 07:07:11 am »

In order for something to be bought it needs to be sold.  They sold themselves to EA and then we suddenly started hearing bad news about DA.  I'd think it would go without saying that I know EA's only concern is exponentially increasing it's profits.  That's the whole reason we're having this discussion, isn't it?  You're arguing that EA doesn't turn nearly everything it touches to crap and that it's perfectly reasonable to assume that anything they have their hands on will be good.  I'm arguing that if you take the evidence into account, that is completely irrational.  EA has a great record of destroying everything good they can get their hands on and churning out mediocre titles one after another.  Just because they've released a truly great game here or there (and none that I've played) doesn't make that any less true.

Bioware has developed a reputation for making generic mainstream console RPGs with high production values and tons of fake choices.  DA was meant to be a return to their PC days.  Then they got bought out by EA and DA became multiplatform and got a stupid subtitle... And the PC version got delayed because EA didn't want to release it before the console versions.  In other words, they're taking their time dumbing the game down for the consoles. 

EA releases generic pieces of crap.  It's what they do.  It's not just something I want to think.  It's the logical conclusion based on the evidence.
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

TheToeBighter98

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2009, 04:36:46 pm »

Well, I've stated my opinion, you've stated yours. So we agree to disagree? (laaame)

I think I will have the last insult.... you toadish creature you. Goodbye.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2009, 05:02:58 pm »

Dude, I don't know if that was supposed to be a joke or what, but you received a warning about making insults in this thread, and then you immediately come back with that?  Mute!
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2009, 08:24:02 pm »

Mass Effect is a great game. Dead Space is another great one (not by Bioware, but by EA). Grown up and cease with this talk about "Evil" EA. They release great games, sometimes.

Okenido

• Bay Watcher
  • Loli Advocate
    • View Profile
    • New Various Nonsense
« Reply #29 on: June 23, 2009, 08:27:56 pm »

Dead Space failed to be anything other than a shooter with darker environments, and more lasers.
Pages: 1 [2] 3