Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Dragon Age: Origins, EA's spiritual successor to Balder's Gate 2.  (Read 5165 times)

A_Fey_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well, here we go. Another series you loved processed by a mainstream giant and turned into something for the masses. It could be good but probably won't be. It has the potential, especially with Bioware working on it but I really don't know if I can trust EA again. Apparently the game is moving away from the forgotten realms dnd based gameplay, dumbing down the combat to a style similar to FFXII. What is this forums opinion on it all?
« Last Edit: June 22, 2009, 02:32:58 pm by A_Fey_Dwarf »

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
Re: Dragon Age: Origins, EA's spiritual successor to Baulder's Gate 2.
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2009, 03:49:47 am »

Damn, times change for sure. Back when BG & BG2 were relased, I thought of them being a mainstream product for the masses(which didn't stop me from loving them)

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2009, 03:54:25 am »

Well, here we go. Another series you loved processed by a mainstream giant and turned into something for the masses. It could be good but probably won't be. It has the potential, especially with Bioware working on it but I really don't know if I can trust EA again. Apparently the game is moving away from the forgotten realms dnd based gameplay, dumbing down the combat to a style similar to FFXII. What is this forums opinion on it all?

Style of combat is not going to be like FFXII, it'll be the same old Bioware everyone knows and loves. The game was WELL into development before EA even got involved and I have pretty high hopes for it. They're moving away from D&D because Hasbro is giving the license to their bitches at Atari instead.

While it is a spiritual successor to Baldur's Gate, don't be expecting a true sequel or you'll be sorely disappointed - but that's Hasbro/Atari's fault, not Biowares. They're doing their own thing and making a license THEY can control instead of some unconnected corporations.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2009, 03:56:54 am by Tilla »

A_Fey_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2009, 04:03:39 am »

I read somewhere that the new combat system is going to be reaction based, as in you can set a characters to use potions whenever they reach certain health levels or set mages to automatically buff your tank. I didn't mean the battle style of FFXII, I meant the whole gambits thing.
Also, totally relevant:

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2009, 04:05:12 am »

Ah, well, from the FAQ it does sound like it has something similar to the Gambit system as an optional way to control characters, but you can also either directly control them or allow full control to the AI. So really it's mostly the same as other bioware games (NWN, KOTOR, Mass Effect, etc)

TheToeBighter98

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2009, 05:32:13 am »

Troll, is that you?

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2009, 06:28:08 am »

Dragon Age started out looking really interesting... then we didn't hear a damn thing about it for years, then Bioware sold themselves to EA, then It became multiplatform... Then the release date got pushed back supposedly because they wanted to make a simultaneous release and the console versions weren't ready.  I wouldn't put it past EA to have pulled a combination Spore and Far Cry 2 with this and to have actually delayed the game just to dumb it down and get rid of all those hints of it's original PC exclusivity.  Today's gaming industry has truly become completely shameless.
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

TheToeBighter98

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2009, 07:08:06 am »

Dragon Age started out looking really interesting... then we didn't hear a damn thing about it for years, then Bioware sold themselves to EA, then It became multiplatform... Then the release date got pushed back supposedly because they wanted to make a simultaneous release and the console versions weren't ready.  I wouldn't put it past EA to have pulled a combination Spore and Far Cry 2 with this and to have actually delayed the game just to dumb it down and get rid of all those hints of it's original PC exclusivity.  Today's gaming industry has truly become completely shameless.

Please refrain from typing ever again.

IndonesiaWarMinister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2009, 07:13:27 am »

Please refrain from typing ever again.

What? It's his right to type anything he wanted (as long as it's stay within the bounds of the board's rules....) and of course, I share his sentiments. I have lost nearly all hope on EA...

Davion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2009, 07:18:41 am »

It's Baldur's Gate not Baulder's Gate, and it's not EA's spiritual successor it's Bioware's, unless you're being tongue-in-cheek. :P

It sounds like a good number of people that were interested have now become at least mildly horrified about what Dragon Age has become, what with the Marilyn Manson "new shit" trailers and all the buzzwords, plus the awkward fantasy sex scenes that people have apparently seen at press events or whatever.

In my opinion Bioware has been complete shit since Neverwinter Nights.

Who will find the Waterdhavian creatures! Not me, Bioware. Someone who has time to fritter away, but not me. 

TheToeBighter98

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2009, 07:27:11 am »

The same EA who decided to take a risk and produce a game like Mirrors Edge? Yeah, I know, they have a bad reputation. But really, the developer is at fault if their product is terrible (ie Spore). Meanwhile, people speculate that Dragon Age is automatically going to end up just like Spore because EA is solely interested in profit.

Yes, its true, EA does want money. Like any business, they aim to make a profit. But really, this is Bioware we are talking about here. They aren't going to stand for a unfinished product being rushed out the door. It wont be perfect, and I have doubts as well for some aspect but really, this is Bioware. Trust them to deliver a finished product (unlike Obsidian).

Also, good for you! You pointed out that Neverwinter Nights was indeed shit, but fail to mention their other games.

Davion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2009, 07:39:38 am »

I did mention their other games, I said that Bioware has been shit since Neverwinter Nights. That would imply that from 2002 to 2008 I've thought their games were crap.

Good for you at reading comprehension, I guess.

TheToeBighter98

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2009, 07:55:33 am »

Yes, good on me. Also, shut up.

But seriously, Neverwinter Nights was just terrible. But apart maybe from Jade Empire, the rest of Bioware's games are top notch (Jade Empire isn't terrible per say, just short...and terrible).

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2009, 08:26:28 am »

The same EA who decided to take a risk and produce a game like Mirrors Edge? Yeah, I know, they have a bad reputation. But really, the developer is at fault if their product is terrible (ie Spore). Meanwhile, people speculate that Dragon Age is automatically going to end up just like Spore because EA is solely interested in profit.

Yes, its true, EA does want money. Like any business, they aim to make a profit. But really, this is Bioware we are talking about here. They aren't going to stand for a unfinished product being rushed out the door. It wont be perfect, and I have doubts as well for some aspect but really, this is Bioware. Trust them to deliver a finished product (unlike Obsidian).

Also, good for you! You pointed out that Neverwinter Nights was indeed shit, but fail to mention their other games.

You're implying that Spore was somehow unfinished, and not intended to be the way it was when it was released.  This is obviously false.  There were videos in 05 of Spore gameplay.  They literally removed features that were already in the game and that they had already shown the public and completely reworked the game to make it more mainstream.  There is no way you are going to get any rational and knowledgeable person to agree with you that Maxis did that entirely of their own volition when EA was the publisher.  So EA allowed Mirror's Edge to be released.  That doesn't suddenly mean they didn't make an entire history of buying out and destroying good developers, and releasing really mediocre games.

Yes, good on me. Also, shut up.

Hm, are you new here.  I don't think I've seen you around before.  If I'm wrong, it's just because I've never seen someone use "shut up" as a rebuttal here before.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2009, 08:32:20 am by Ioric Kittencuddler »
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

IndonesiaWarMinister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2009, 08:43:49 am »

Huh, yeah... I see it mainly when I was playing SS13 against goon.

Well... let's not resort to flaming here, guys...
Pages: [1] 2 3