Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Idea - mining feature  (Read 2512 times)

Lummox JR

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • BYOND
Re: Idea - mining feature
« Reply #30 on: June 23, 2009, 01:14:34 pm »

Do we have any way of modding in new buildings? If not, I suppose it could just be added as a function of a mason's workshop or something like that.

The mason's workshop isn't moddable. Only the smelter lets you do things like custom reactions. You can mod certain items to be made out of different materials, but I don't think you could mod in a new type of item (like a mine cart) and even so there would be no way to break it down into the original constituent stone. The only way to use the mason's workshop to get rid of excess rock would be to build blocks, which can be stacked in bins, or to create a custom item that lets you build it from stone (or modify such an item) and find a way to use it on your map. An example of the latter would be some kind of trap component.

Efun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 23, 2009, 01:17:45 pm »

Three Words

Dwarven. Atom. Smasher.
Military dorfs are the busiest if their partner is also in the military, Military children are my forts future, also its hilariously tragic when a mother carrying her child into battle gets hit, and the baby dies....
I fixed that up for you.

Scruga

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McDwarf cancels eat: Interupted by goat
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 23, 2009, 04:10:28 pm »

Three Words

Dwarven. Atom. Smasher.

One word

Realism.
New question! If I were to remove elves [INTELLIGENT] tag in the raws, would it work?
Dwarf Fortress: Where taking a creatures intelligence is an accepted way of modding.

Gergination

• Bay Watcher
  • The world is on fire
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 23, 2009, 04:23:08 pm »

With [SLOW_LEARNER], dwarves probably don't sit around and talk anymore. They just stand in the same corner altogether, staring at each other, sticking their bearded lips out trying to make sounds. And giggling when someone actually says a whole word.

Phazer

• Bay Watcher
  • This song is creepy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 23, 2009, 04:44:03 pm »

and what sais a video game cant be realistic?
Atleast the content.
Dragon: My plan is foolproof! Those foolish dwarves cannot resist walking near lava! If I hop in, then they won't know what hit them! I'll just- AH! OH GOD! I WASTED MY LIFE!

Gergination

• Bay Watcher
  • The world is on fire
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 23, 2009, 05:05:40 pm »

There is absolutely no reason that a video game needs to be constrained by any realism.  At the same time they can try as hard as they want to strive for it.  My point was that while DF is incredibly realistic, it still has some very gamey elements. 

Besides, who the hell cares what you do in DF.  If you want to cheat, go right ahead.  It doesn't adversely affect anyone but yourself.

If it didn't crash the game once you got too many stones I wouldn't use atom smashers or catapults to obliterate them.  I'd just let them sit on the ground.
With [SLOW_LEARNER], dwarves probably don't sit around and talk anymore. They just stand in the same corner altogether, staring at each other, sticking their bearded lips out trying to make sounds. And giggling when someone actually says a whole word.

Scruga

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McDwarf cancels eat: Interupted by goat
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 24, 2009, 12:32:56 am »

And we want a normal way to dispose of them =)
New question! If I were to remove elves [INTELLIGENT] tag in the raws, would it work?
Dwarf Fortress: Where taking a creatures intelligence is an accepted way of modding.

Phazer

• Bay Watcher
  • This song is creepy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 24, 2009, 03:42:23 am »

It seems more realistic thou to use magma if you have it but if you dont you need to pulverize all the stone with an atom smasher but some people (like me) wants a different way of doing it.
Dragon: My plan is foolproof! Those foolish dwarves cannot resist walking near lava! If I hop in, then they won't know what hit them! I'll just- AH! OH GOD! I WASTED MY LIFE!

Gergination

• Bay Watcher
  • The world is on fire
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 24, 2009, 03:45:20 am »

Don't get the idea that I think the current methods for dealing with stone management are good.  Something needs to change eventually and I'm betting that Toady has something in mind or will think of some nice system.
Pages: 1 2 [3]