Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Idea - mining feature  (Read 2516 times)

Village_Idiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Idea - mining feature
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2009, 01:04:19 pm »

I've found that catapults are actually a very convenient way to handle this.  They might take a wee bit longer than simply crushing rocks but they are automatic.

This. And it also trains you dwarfs in siege operating, a legendary siege operator at a ballista, backed up by a ballista arrow stockpile can easily destroy an entire siege.

Lonewolf

• Bay Watcher
  • The Feral Observer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2009, 01:40:07 pm »

I think mining carts will be a more realistic way to solve this.

Mraedis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2009, 03:02:27 pm »

Are there any plans/suggestions for this?
GENERATION 30:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Scruga

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McDwarf cancels eat: Interupted by goat
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2009, 03:05:18 pm »

Are there any plans/suggestions for this?

Yeah toady has better transportation planned :D
New question! If I were to remove elves [INTELLIGENT] tag in the raws, would it work?
Dwarf Fortress: Where taking a creatures intelligence is an accepted way of modding.

Valkun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2009, 11:31:20 pm »

Can't you implement it now by fiddling with the RAW's?

You'd just need to create a copy of the following reactions for each stone and ore:

Fill Mine Cart (Stone/Ore)
Move Mine Cart (Stone/Ore)
Dump Mine Cart (Stone/Ore)

Fill would take some large number of rough stone of one material and turn it into a toy object named "mine cart" of that material.  IE: "This is a Granite mine cart". 

Move Mine Cart would let you transport the now stored rocks from one smelter to another by having a specific mine cart as both the reagent and product.  Some fiddling with forbid would be required to keep from moving the same cart that's already in the smelter.

Dump Mine Cart would turn the cart back into its huge stack of rocks.

By converting huge stockpiles of stone into 'mine carts', it'd reduce the number of objects greatly.

I'd actually already planned out something similar (with multiple tiers to reduce stone by orders of magnitude) for a mod I was working on.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2009, 11:42:54 pm by Valkun »

Vengo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2009, 11:37:19 pm »

I like that idea a lot...

Lexender

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2009, 11:51:30 pm »

Can't you implement it now by fiddling with the RAW's?

You'd just need to create a copy of the following reactions for each stone and ore:

Fill Mine Cart (Stone/Ore)
Move Mine Cart (Stone/Ore)
Dump Mine Cart (Stone/Ore)

Fill would take some large number of rough stone of one material and turn it into a toy object named "mine cart" of that material.  IE: "This is a Granite mine cart". 

Move Mine Cart would let you transport the now stored rocks from one smelter to another by having a specific mine cart as both the reagent and product.  Some fiddling with forbid would be required to keep from moving the same cart that's already in the smelter.

Dump Mine Cart would turn the cart back into its huge stack of rocks.

By converting huge stockpiles of stone into 'mine carts', it'd reduce the number of objects greatly.

I'd actually already planned out something similar (with multiple tiers to reduce stone by orders of magnitude) for a mod I was working on.

That's....great.

Maybe a "build cart" that would use units of wood/metal to make a cart, then include the cart in the "fill cart" reaction, to make it more realistic.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2009, 11:54:20 pm »

Well, I think you'd have to lay tracks... transportation of stone along these in carts would be instant, or almost.

I think it's about time this got moved to Suggestions where it belongs, by the way. Or not. This is already on the Eternal Voting System, I think. And if mining without dropping stone hasn't been suggested 9001 times, I'm a monkey's uncle.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Vengo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2009, 12:02:45 am »

Maybe we should take this up in modding. See what we can do with raws modifications to implement the same feature ourselves like that one guy was suggesting.

Scruga

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2009, 12:41:18 am »

Well, I think you'd have to lay tracks... transportation of stone along these in carts would be instant, or almost.

I think it's about time this got moved to Suggestions where it belongs, by the way. Or not. This is already on the Eternal Voting System, I think. And if mining without dropping stone hasn't been suggested 9001 times, I'm a monkey's uncle.

Thanks for every single thing you stated here :D
New question! If I were to remove elves [INTELLIGENT] tag in the raws, would it work?
Dwarf Fortress: Where taking a creatures intelligence is an accepted way of modding.

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2009, 01:56:30 am »

I haven't made enough custom reactions to know this: how is the weight of an item determined?

If it's anything additive your mine cart haulers are going to take an eternity to move those things.
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

Phazer

• Bay Watcher
  • This song is creepy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2009, 02:03:33 am »

well that would be to lift the cart, but you dont need nearly as much if you push it and it have wheels
Dragon: My plan is foolproof! Those foolish dwarves cannot resist walking near lava! If I hop in, then they won't know what hit them! I'll just- AH! OH GOD! I WASTED MY LIFE!

Scruga

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2009, 02:18:44 am »

well that would be to lift the cart, but you dont need nearly as much if you push it and it have wheels

And we need toady for tracks and dwarves pushing objects :D

Lummox JR

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • BYOND
« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2009, 09:53:35 am »

Modding in smelter reactions to convert stone to a holding object is an interesting idea, although I'm not sure you could preserve the stone type that way without defining a reaction for each rock type. However this won't necessarily improve on hauling tasks, since your furnace operator will have to trek to the dig site to pick up those 10 (or more) pieces of stone individually. If anything that's much less labor-efficient unless you have a dozen smelters. Even then, the process of gathering so many ingredients for the reaction is likely to use up your dwarves' patience so they'll stop to take a drink, repeating the process all over again.

My preferred way to use up stone is to keep a ton of masons on hand and have them construct stuff for me. However by all appearances it seems that building constructions does NOT train dwarves in masonry, so you'll need workshops for that. Converting stone to blocks increases their value as a building material and it trains masons up, plus if you have a manager you can set up "Make Rock Blocks /R" on your workshops and not let any legendary dwarves use them, so that they're only used for training.

Vengo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 23, 2009, 10:27:35 am »

Do we have any way of modding in new buildings? If not, I suppose it could just be added as a function of a mason's workshop or something like that.
Pages: 1 [2] 3