Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Idea - mining feature  (Read 2513 times)

Mraedis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Idea - mining feature
« on: June 22, 2009, 03:36:37 am »

Hey guys,

I'm posting this here because I wanted opinions before I go and suggest it.  :D (So it doesn't make me look like an idiot if it's a crappy idea.)

Anyway, we all know that the larger fortresses have great excesses of stone. Stone you do not want, do not need and that takes forever to 'd'ump.

I was contemplating a new mining options, where it would take the miners a longer time to mine out the tile, but there wouldn't be any (or less chance of) stone left. This would benefit those larger fortresses with huge stone dumps and legendary miners who don't take all to long to mine out a tile anyway.

This would probably also save your computer a bit, as I've heard of people with very large stone stockpiles to get buffer overflows or something...

Anyway, input?  :)
GENERATION 30:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Gergination

• Bay Watcher
  • The world is on fire
    • View Profile
Re: Idea - mining feature
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2009, 03:43:44 am »

It's certainly a good idea to have some built in method to prevent stone build up.

That being said, you can manage stone build up decently well if you know what you're doing.
With [SLOW_LEARNER], dwarves probably don't sit around and talk anymore. They just stand in the same corner altogether, staring at each other, sticking their bearded lips out trying to make sounds. And giggling when someone actually says a whole word.

Haedrian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2009, 03:46:08 am »

It's certainly a good idea to have some built in method to prevent stone build up.

That being said, you can manage stone build up decently well if you know what you're doing.

Just a question - if you build constructions out of the stone, its less painful to the CPU/Memory then if you have a ton of rocks lying around? Or not?
When life gives you kittens, make biscuits

Likes llamas for their long necks

Uninvited Guest

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2009, 03:48:25 am »

i've been setting someone to "make stone blocks" on repeat with a stone pile beside them. blocks go in bins (10 times less mess) and have a higher base value than regular stone so they are all around better for building with. plus, in no time you'll have legendary masons...

Phazer

• Bay Watcher
  • This song is creepy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2009, 03:52:32 am »

Well maybe instead of NOTHING less, atleast some pebbles that a dwarf had to clean using the obviously clean labour. as it seems alittle wrong to clear 100 blocks without getting even a single pebble.
Dragon: My plan is foolproof! Those foolish dwarves cannot resist walking near lava! If I hop in, then they won't know what hit them! I'll just- AH! OH GOD! I WASTED MY LIFE!

Gergination

• Bay Watcher
  • The world is on fire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2009, 03:59:20 am »

Just a question - if you build constructions out of the stone, its less painful to the CPU/Memory then if you have a ton of rocks lying around? Or not?

I'm pretty sure that any object including blocks or constructions make the memory hate itself.  Things used in constructions are still tracked but I don't know if it's the same or not.

To be fair, lots of stuff doesn't seem to slow down your game that much, it's just a critical limit after which you'll continually crash.
With [SLOW_LEARNER], dwarves probably don't sit around and talk anymore. They just stand in the same corner altogether, staring at each other, sticking their bearded lips out trying to make sounds. And giggling when someone actually says a whole word.

Mraedis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2009, 09:19:49 am »

Well maybe instead of NOTHING less, atleast some pebbles that a dwarf had to clean using the obviously clean labour. as it seems alittle wrong to clear 100 blocks without getting even a single pebble.

This is why I include the 'or less chance of' and longer mining time, it seems unfair that you can "vaporize" hundreds of rocks without much additional labour.  :)
GENERATION 30:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Scruga

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McDwarf cancels eat: Interupted by goat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2009, 09:48:50 am »

Suggestions forum? (i'm not angry but we shouldn't make things messy)
New question! If I were to remove elves [INTELLIGENT] tag in the raws, would it work?
Dwarf Fortress: Where taking a creatures intelligence is an accepted way of modding.

Sabre_Justice

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2009, 09:49:02 am »

Just build the Dwarven Garbage Crusher (it involves a bridge and a dump zone).

IronBeer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2009, 10:36:41 am »

Perhaps: if you don't mind your mining going (a lot) more slowly, try using less experienced miners- they have a (significantly) reduced chance of producing a stone/gem/hunk of ore for any tile they mine out.

Haedrian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2009, 10:55:07 am »

And a ton of hauling jobs, that's the problem.

I fully agree with this suggestion
When life gives you kittens, make biscuits

Likes llamas for their long necks

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2009, 11:08:14 am »

Magma works better. The stones just vanish after a while, no risk of crushing dwarves accidentally, and no lever to pull.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2009, 11:08:57 am »

If you don't feel like wasting haulers, you could build a few (more) catapults, and set a few dwarves as siege operators.  This will be slow, but if you do it consistently it will clear the area of stone, and you can then move the catapults to a new area.  It also gets you some very useful siege operators.

Gergination

• Bay Watcher
  • The world is on fire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2009, 12:07:37 pm »

I've found that catapults are actually a very convenient way to handle this.  They might take a wee bit longer than simply crushing rocks but they are automatic.

FearoftheDomoKun

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2009, 12:15:41 pm »

It also looks purty.
Pages: [1] 2 3