Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: 2D vs 3D What's your opinion?  (Read 2784 times)

sausage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
2D vs 3D What's your opinion?
« on: June 22, 2009, 02:18:17 am »

I just want to ask, what do you think is more fun 2d or 3d dwarf fortress?

I'll start: I like 2d better mainly because you always get those awesome features you are always searching for in 3d, you have to use exploratory mining techniques to find them when you find a spot with them and you get way too much stone for your own use, also, winters are not as harsh as they really were supposed to be back in those days (which makes it more fun for me) if someone remade 2d with some 3d features like walls and floors that would be better but I still totally prefer 2d over 3d...

P.S. the deadliness of the creatures in 2d compared to 3d are better too :)

I would really like to hear your opinions (explained if possible)
Of course, why else would dwarves risk life and limb to retrive one sock during a full scale siege onslaught.
The depressing thing is that they quite often lose life and limb(s) in the process.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: 2D vs 3D What's your opinion?
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2009, 02:22:40 am »

In terms of gaminess, 2D feels more like a completed game. The random ambushes, the semi random nature of the fort, the seasonal events, and the fact that pretty much everything wants to kill you, even the water, makes it feel more like an actual game.

That being said, 3D is far superior and just feels better then 2D.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Haedrian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2009, 03:24:38 am »

While I had much more fun with the 2D - In my opinion the 3d is far better, simply because it allows you to build mega-projects.

That said, I really used to like the fluids of 2D ..
When life gives you kittens, make biscuits

Likes llamas for their long necks

sausage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2009, 03:33:23 am »

Wow, I should have kept my original statement (which was (quoted) this is not based on a technical standpoint but a gameplay standpoint) I got rid of it because I thought people would assume (guess not) but I like these opinions keep it coming :)
Of course, why else would dwarves risk life and limb to retrive one sock during a full scale siege onslaught.
The depressing thing is that they quite often lose life and limb(s) in the process.

Urist McCyrilin

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh, the dwarfity!
    • View Profile
    • CyCom! Writing&PnP!
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2009, 03:52:48 am »

3d. There is nothing like throwing my prisoners from a 30 z level tower into a magma pit as sacrifice to Armok.

sausage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2009, 04:15:52 am »

lol yeah that is true lol

Lonewolf

• Bay Watcher
  • The Feral Observer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2009, 05:04:21 am »

3D, it lets you create all kinds of fortresses. Towers, basements, sewers, anything.

sausage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2009, 05:09:59 am »

That would be technical not gameplay, please try to keep it to gameplay only (as in not what you can do, how fun it is to play, I allow the pit because that's the best part about towers)

Haedrian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2009, 05:23:13 am »

That would be technical not gameplay, please try to keep it to gameplay only (as in not what you can do, how fun it is to play, I allow the pit because that's the best part about towers)

[How fun it is to play] IS [what you can do].

That's the fun part of the game, making wild and weird constructions. Its pretty hard to lose the game unless you do something stupid anyway.
When life gives you kittens, make biscuits

Likes llamas for their long necks

ephrion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2009, 05:29:01 am »

Agreed.  Being limited to basically "digging" for your fortress construction really constrains your imagination.  Being able to build up, down, left, diagonally in giant towers...  is a LOT of fun.

There just isn't anything a lot more fun than building a giant tower and creating a lavafall that can be diverted to destroy oncoming enemies.

sausage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2009, 05:34:25 am »

guess I didn't really look at it that way, haven't played 3d very much, usually just build a small fort throw 20 dwarves into mechanics and build a REALLY long trap corridor, get bored and start again, so sorry if you took the wrong (plus its 4:30am and don't really like thinking... probably shouldn't have stayed up this late...)

Retales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2009, 05:39:14 am »

I liked the harshness of winters in the 2D version, but 3D is obviously better (more features etc.)
Quote from: roundedge link=topic=27527.msg362681#msg362681
And so, little dwarfling if to mayor you rise
never forget to heed this advice
when it's items outdoors, no matter how small
remember remember to forbid them all.
GENERATION 31:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2009, 11:03:39 am »

Although I can't form an accurate opinion due to the lack of performance optimizations in Flat Fortress (20 FPS in 40d9 with 140-ish dwarves and a giant-ass mountain vs. 20 FPS in Flat Fortress with 7 dwarves before I even strike the earth), the ability to built massive towers and castles and stuff would likely trump any feature that 2D had, especially now that underground critters will be able to once more respawn and raid your fort in the upcoming version.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2009, 11:06:20 am »

Yeah, and 3D maps have a lot more variety.  Sure, it's nice to get all the features, but generally almost all 2D maps were very similar.

Village_Idiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2009, 01:01:19 pm »

Yeah, and 3D maps have a lot more variety.  Sure, it's nice to get all the features, but generally almost all 2D maps were very similar.

This, in the 3d version you can make a fortress in a desert, on a plain, in a small hil, just about anywhere. In the 2d version a mountian was needed for every fort.
Pages: [1] 2