Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: HFS - Too Weak?  (Read 1374 times)

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
Re: HFS - Too Weak?
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2009, 11:23:39 am »

Alas, the whole fireball ability is hardcoded and unique to the raws.

And while the idea of a creature that could freeze things standing too close to it is rather nice, water would be an easy way to get rid of them.
Might need some kind of ice smashing power.  And an obsidian smashing power, come to think of it.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2009, 01:38:16 pm »

The problem isn't that HFS is too weak.

The problem is that there is a huge difference in difficulty between the different types of HFS.  Frog demons are no threat to a trained military, while a single SoF can kill an entire fort if you have no strong ranged attacks.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

SomGuye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2009, 01:47:09 pm »

I have only encountered one HFS, and it was filled with SoF.

Sweet Armok, it was ugly.

The fort survived, but I lost around 30+ dwarves, 14 of them Champions if I remember correctly.  The ensuing insane dwarves and tantrums cost a few more.

In the end, the SoF's were taken down by Wrestlers and Ax Dwarves.

Blood, vomit, and chunks everywhere.  Same fort later had 2 dragons and a Titan show up and get immediately slaughtered.  My queen punched one of the dragons and lost a foot.
People burning, booze exploding, the fort is on fire, the countryside has turned to ash.  Its business as usual.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2009, 05:20:19 pm »

I think it would be "Fun" if frog demons generated water (fairly slowly).  So once discovered, it's a race against time to avoid having your entire fortress flooded.  They could also fire pressurised water at enemies.

Phazer

• Bay Watcher
  • This song is creepy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2009, 05:29:48 pm »

are they a kind of magicians now or what?
Dragon: My plan is foolproof! Those foolish dwarves cannot resist walking near lava! If I hop in, then they won't know what hit them! I'll just- AH! OH GOD! I WASTED MY LIFE!
Pages: 1 [2]