Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Meetsecret, Secluded Dwarven Utopia  (Read 1080 times)

Efun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Meetsecret, Secluded Dwarven Utopia
« on: June 21, 2009, 10:39:14 pm »

I Embarked on a glacier (common theme of mine lately) and i notice before i embarked that the height of the cliffs was 20+. SWEET was my first impression, still is, Some of the levels are just ramps leading onto ramps, no space in between. Some are just dead ends, This makes me want to carve a fort out in the mountain and then take down the "skin" to reveal the fort, which will be castle-esqe.  This fort SHOULD get no sieges or invaders, on the embark stuff it said Dwarves and that was it, I embarked to a glacier surrounded by mountains!! Yay secrecy!

Anybody wanna help me think of ideas to do with this fort, Mega projects and the like.

I've got Magma and lots of stone of course, I haven't even unpaused it yet to start.

Give me some good dorf material to use here guys.
Military dorfs are the busiest if their partner is also in the military, Military children are my forts future, also its hilariously tragic when a mother carrying her child into battle gets hit, and the baby dies....
I fixed that up for you.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Meetsecret, Secluded Dwarven Utopia
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2009, 10:44:34 pm »

You can set invasions to no in the init to be absolutely sure on that.

Efun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2009, 10:44:58 pm »

You can set invasions to no in the init to be absolutely sure on that.

Surprises are FUN!!!
Military dorfs are the busiest if their partner is also in the military, Military children are my forts future, also its hilariously tragic when a mother carrying her child into battle gets hit, and the baby dies....
I fixed that up for you.

Byakugan01

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2009, 10:54:08 pm »

Make the hand of armok out of ice blocks. Have a magma cistern in the middle finger, pointing in the general direction of the nearest forest retreat. The elves are downslope of you and you have magma. You know your duty.
From Mr. Welch's 1350 things he is not allowed to do in a RPG:
148. There is no Gnomish Deathgrip, and even if there was, it wouldn't involve tongs.
171. My character's dying words are not allowed to be "Hastur, Hastur, Hastur"
218. No matter my alignment, organizing halfling pit fights is a violation.
231. I am not allowed to do anything that would make a Sith Lord cry.
240. Any character with more than three skills specializing in chainsaw is vetoed.

Efun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2009, 11:03:23 pm »

actually, there is only 1 Z-level of ice.... sad face right... But i do have the fort planned.... ish

Its approx 60 across 40 deep with a tower at each corner, May add flourishes and stuff to it, its all gonna be carved right outta the mountain! fun stuffs.
I fixed that up for you.

Gergination

• Bay Watcher
  • The world is on fire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2009, 11:07:29 pm »

Set up a system to pump magma vigorously out of a hole in the mountain every once in a while.  Have absolutely no safety controls on it so that anything in its path is in danger of incineration.
With [SLOW_LEARNER], dwarves probably don't sit around and talk anymore. They just stand in the same corner altogether, staring at each other, sticking their bearded lips out trying to make sounds. And giggling when someone actually says a whole word.

Byakugan01

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2009, 11:40:09 pm »

Do you have an aquifer? Or, for that matter, a cave river or something similar? Just pump it right up to the surface, and you'll have as much ice as you want.
From Mr. Welch's 1350 things he is not allowed to do in a RPG:
148. There is no Gnomish Deathgrip, and even if there was, it wouldn't involve tongs.
171. My character's dying words are not allowed to be "Hastur, Hastur, Hastur"
218. No matter my alignment, organizing halfling pit fights is a violation.
231. I am not allowed to do anything that would make a Sith Lord cry.
240. Any character with more than three skills specializing in chainsaw is vetoed.

Efun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2009, 12:13:33 am »

Do you have an aquifer? Or, for that matter, a cave river or something similar? Just pump it right up to the surface, and you'll have as much ice as you want.

Nope :D This was pretty much one of the ONLY good glacier areas, even then the magma pipe is like halfway into the mountain

Set up a system to pump magma vigorously out of a hole in the mountain every once in a while.  Have absolutely no safety controls on it so that anything in its path is in danger of incineration.

Im gonna... and it shall be KITTEN CONTROLLED!!! 

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Semi random pressure plates for the kitty hooked up !!!! IDEA!!!

The Magma will spill out of.... Get ready for it

A GIANT DWARF HEAD BELOW THE FORT!!!

The mouth will spew magma when certain plates are pressed and some plates will turn on the nose... some plates will do both !!! I was gonna do a dwarf head entrance to a fort once, I had its mouth (and teeth, they were floodgates) And the mouth filled with water.... heh.

Brain storming at 12:13 in the morning... keeps ya awake!
I fixed that up for you.

Firnagzen

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_INSANE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2009, 12:37:14 am »

No water at all other than melted ice, and only one layer of that?

There is a way. Melt some ice into water. Divide it into 2/7 (I think) divisions with some clever mechanics or micromanaged fill pond designations. Freeze that. (Possibly you have a subterranean reservoir filled with 2/7 water and pump that outside to freeze.) Melt it into 7/7 water. You can't mine it and still get water back, though. Rinse, repeat.

Difficult, I guess, but hey. You're not in this game because it's easy elvish, right?

EDIT: Thoughts as to how you could generate water.
Side view
Code: [Select]
##########m####
####### Xx ##P_
####_R__##_Xx #
###### xX ###^#
######_Xx #####
#########M#####
#= wall
Xx= pump, the X end being the output
^= pressure plate

This is based off the freezetrap elsewhere in the forums, of course.

So all the pumps are initially off. M has some magma in it. You designate P as a pond zone, to be filled with water.

The pressure plate senses 2/7 water and turns the pump on, dumping the water in the exposed area, where it freezes. Next, perhaps using mechanical timing, you switch on the magma circulator, which'll melt the ice into water. You will need a constructed, not natural magma tunnel where I marked m to melt the ice floor which will form above the water.

Then you run the last pump and suck up that water into the resevoir R. Mechanize all this and you won't even have to pay attention to it, it'll just keep on pumping out unlimited water.

Of course, all this is in theory. But it's a suggestion.

FURTHER THOUGHT: I think I figured out how to take dwarfs out of the equation.
Top down view
Code: [Select]
######
Xx.###
##,Xx,
Xx.###
######

#=wall
,=floor
.=channel
Xx=pump, X is the output

So the first pump pumps one tile of 7/7 water from the right hand side, which then splits and flows into the two channels to feed two water generators.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2009, 03:25:38 am by Firnagzen »
Christ, are you dwarves or are you elves? If you think Hell has too many demons, then you kill them till the population reaches an acceptable number.

Chalk

• Bay Watcher
  • oh dear
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2009, 01:54:30 pm »

A kitten-controlled magma flow just pushes all my buttons. That gets my vote.

Good on you for finding this site! All your immigrants will be hermits-- very surprised hermits at that, who moved there to get some peace and quiet.

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2009, 01:34:10 am »

No water at all other than melted ice, and only one layer of that?

(water generation idea)
I just mine out a 5x5 winding path through the rock below the ice and run magma through that then pump out as much magma as I can and let the rest evaporate- the water freezes right back up even though half of it went into a cistern. Rinse, repeat, voila.

I made the well pretty goofy last time- forgot to make the water just go diagonal but I could have installed a temp wall whenever I wanted to refill too.
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.