Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7

Author Topic: A way to prove the (possible?) existence of the soul.  (Read 7051 times)

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
Re: A way to prove the (possible?) existence of the soul.
« Reply #60 on: June 25, 2009, 02:23:39 pm »

a theory isnt a proven thing, thats a law or fact. a theory is just that, a theory.
No.  That is a common misconception.  In science, theory is law.  Remember my mentioning people thinking they can disprove evolution?
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 25, 2009, 02:37:20 pm »

no dont i didnt read the whole thing. and because scientists base theories on more theories does not make them laws....thats why many long term projects end suddenly when they hit brick walls.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 25, 2009, 02:40:19 pm »

That makes absolutely no sense.

Bottom line is, evolution has sufficient evidence to be proven, and thus the hypothesis was made into scientific law, or theory.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 25, 2009, 02:46:13 pm »

sadly evolution hasnt been entirly proven, as we cannot look into the past....i belive in evolution, but its not fact....yet

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 25, 2009, 03:11:19 pm »

Yes it is. Yes it has been proven. Yes it has been observed directly in laboratories around the world. Please, actually take the time to research things before you say things.
!!&!!

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 25, 2009, 03:26:57 pm »

sadly evolution hasnt been entirly proven, as we cannot look into the past....i belive in evolution, but its not fact....yet

Yeah, we can't look into the past.  If only we had fossil records going back a very, very long time.  Wait, we do.  We have enough evidence to say that "Over large time scales, through long populations, this is the pattern you'll see".  Just like you can say the same about plenty of other scientific fields that actually have some quantum noise in them.  Numbers are never -totally- perfect, they're usually perfect in scales that humans care about though.  There is AMPLE evidence that things follow the pattern of evolution over long time scales.  Yes, it's proven.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 25, 2009, 06:03:43 pm »

o yeh, bones that suddely disappear show eveolution

the scientists excuse, everything died

im just saying, say this to a religous fanatic and he can argue it to death

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 25, 2009, 06:06:18 pm »

...what?
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 25, 2009, 08:51:18 pm »

meteor hit the earth and all the dinosaurs died.

if evolution was proven, it wouldnt still be illegal in places to teach it. and you'd be able to win an argument over a religious fanatic.

SolarShado

• Bay Watcher
  • Psi-Blade => Your Back
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 25, 2009, 09:05:50 pm »

I've heard there are people who still believe the world is flat. If I ever find one, it'll be very hard to not beat the crap out of him/her and try to beat some sense in...

To paraphrase a quote from someone here (might've been Armok): Human stupidity is infinite.
Avid (rabid?) Linux user. Preferred flavor: Arch

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 25, 2009, 09:08:14 pm »

To quote Einstein; only two things are infinite: The universe and human stupidity, and I'm not too sure about the former.
!!&!!

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 25, 2009, 09:09:33 pm »

meteor hit the earth and all the dinosaurs died.

if evolution was proven, it wouldnt still be illegal in places to teach it. and you'd be able to win an argument over a religious fanatic.
You think you can win against a fanatic just because the subject has been proven against them?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evolution
Read the last paragraph of that opening bit.  Then read this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theory

Then think:  If it is called a theory by the scientific community, then do you really think it wouldn't have been proven?

As a side note, those have citations.  So don't bother with saying it's unreliable.

Finally, there are several states where it is illegal to buy alcohol on Sunday, and it's still enforced, or at minimum the store requires a license to sell on Sundays.  Those laws are based on Christianity, and many states have several like them (called blue laws).  As was previously stated, people can be infinitely stupid.
Just so I remember

SolarShado

• Bay Watcher
  • Psi-Blade => Your Back
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 25, 2009, 09:10:44 pm »

To quote Einstein; only two things are infinite: The universe and human stupidity, and I'm not too sure about the former.

That's it!

I though it was probably from somewhere else, but where I saw it there wasn't an attribution.
Avid (rabid?) Linux user. Preferred flavor: Arch

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 26, 2009, 12:49:24 am »

A theory, in the general sense of the word, is an analytic structure designed to explain a set of observations.
^^^^^
Quote taken from you link

anyltical = logical

it means they took observations and logically sorted them out into another hypothesis....nowhere does it say that a theory is a fact

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 26, 2009, 03:28:47 am »

A set of observations of facts = theory = set of facts.

A theory is not a hypothesis which is not based on observation or experience, but on a priori knowledge.

A theory is a structured and cohesive statement supported by a series of observed facts to explain a phenomena and is based exclusively on a posteriori knowledge.

TO ELABORATE

Hypothesis. If I drop a ball from ten meters in the air, it will hit the ground in approximately 1 second.

Theory. I dropped the ball from ten meters in the air, and it hit the ground in approximately 1  second, therefore acceleration due to gravity on the earths surface is observed to be approximately 10 meters per second per second.

Also; Gravity is also 'just' a Theory. Try to debate that one.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2009, 03:33:16 am by Ampersand »
!!&!!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7