Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Trying to remember specific game...  (Read 2429 times)

wallish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Trying to remember specific game...
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2009, 07:35:04 pm »

I don't remember the name of the game, but I think it was on one of the older "500 games!!" packs around '98.  In it, you started at your home solar system.  Your system created resources, and then you went off to take over other systems/stars.  There wasn't much in the way of interface or options.  Basically it was just a bunch of white points on a black field.  I remember it being fun, though.  Any ideas??

Wild guess here... Warpath?  I don't load that one up hardly at all, but it seems to fit the description. Check www.syntheticreality.com.

Broken link?

There's supposed to be a hyphen: http://www.synthetic-reality.com/warpath32.htm

Singularity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2009, 08:41:49 pm »

I don't remember the name of the game, but I think it was on one of the older "500 games!!" packs around '98.  In it, you started at your home solar system.  Your system created resources, and then you went off to take over other systems/stars.  There wasn't much in the way of interface or options.  Basically it was just a bunch of white points on a black field.  I remember it being fun, though.  Any ideas??

Wild guess here... Warpath?  I don't load that one up hardly at all, but it seems to fit the description. Check www.syntheticreality.com.

Broken link?

Oh... whoops. :-[  The actual URL is www.synthetic-reality.com.  I missed that pesky hyphen.  Anyway, like I said, I haven't played it in a while, but it's an okay coffee-break kinda game.

Neonivek: That sounds like a really weird game. :o Never heard of it, but it's just weird enough to sound really interesting.  If you ever find it, I'll have to try it.

Edit:  It's even more embarrassing that I missed wallish's reply!  :-[ I'm a bit slow today, it seems. :P
« Last Edit: June 23, 2009, 10:07:09 pm by Singularity »

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2009, 09:52:34 pm »

Here's three from the Macintosh.  They were somewhere around 1992-1993.

First:  It was on a CD with like 50 games or so.  It initially looked like Nibbles, except then you realize there's a health bar, and that there's other exits from the room you start in.  There's a big world to explore, and if you chomp your own tail, it doesn't kill you necessarily (as long as you didn't bite off too much of yourself).  Color.

Second:  It was a grid-based game where you play as Godzilla smashing a city.  Overhead view, turn-based.  Stomp buildings and tanks and people and stuff, and get points, and I think you had flame breath too.  Color.

Third:  It was a black-and-white graphical roguelike, set in an urban environment.  Buy guns and shoot people.  Buy dynamite, maybe blow up a store and piss off the shopkeeper.  Gang warfare presumably.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Singularity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2009, 11:36:31 pm »

As long as everyone else is tossing out their obscure games they're looking for, I'll throw out my own.  As a fair warning, I've had this one in the dark corner of my mind for YEARS, so I doubt anyone will actually find it.  That being said...

This game was on one or another "500 game" cd, or the like.  This game was, from what I remember, a primitive 3d roguelike.  You had a party of four or five kids -- yes, kids.  The plot for this game was weird.  The protagonists were school kids and the baddie was... a scientist I think?  Don't remember very clearly.  Anyway, these kids went through maze-like labyrinths, having to worry about food/water, etc.  Now, to my knowledge these kids couldn't die.  At most, they would pass out for a while.  Maybe if they all passed out in battle you lost.  I honestly can't remember.  Hell, I can't even remember if the game was turn-based or realtime.  But for my sporadic efforts to find such a game, I've turned up nothing.  Probably never will, either. Just not enough info to go on.  If only I could remember the title.  Oh well... :-\

Edit:  I'm sure it won't help, but I'm fairly certain the game was on a CD called "1000 Best Games For Windows", by Cosmi.  Unfortunately, my searches haven't turned up anywhere to download it, and I don't particularly feel like spending several dollars when I'm not even sure the game is on there. :P
« Last Edit: June 24, 2009, 12:29:44 am by Singularity »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2009, 12:17:19 am »

A lot of games being thrown out. Very few being found.

Azkanan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2009, 03:20:06 pm »

Id like to add another game to the mix that I have yet to find

It is a game in a VERY early version of 3d (Very crude) you end up in this haunted village populated by Werewolves, Demons, Living objects, and Pan.

You have two hands which you can hold things on and even use large rats as weapons. (Weapons are better)

In fact you can get lucky and find a suit of armor, unfortunately if you trip with it on. A Dwarf with a giant hammer will smash you until you die! (Not a joke this really happens...)

When you die you end up in a room with demons who then kill you. I am unaware if there is a way to avoid this.

I believe the goal is to leave the huanted village with magic but I never got that far since this game is TOUGH!

Sounds like Dwarf Fortress, KAHAHA.

Couldn't resist. :)
A pool of Dwarven Ale.
WHO IS RESPONSIBLE FOR THIS ?

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2009, 04:28:57 pm »

Id like to add another game to the mix that I have yet to find

It is a game in a VERY early version of 3d (Very crude) you end up in this haunted village populated by Werewolves, Demons, Living objects, and Pan.

You have two hands which you can hold things on and even use large rats as weapons. (Weapons are better)

In fact you can get lucky and find a suit of armor, unfortunately if you trip with it on. A Dwarf with a giant hammer will smash you until you die! (Not a joke this really happens...)

When you die you end up in a room with demons who then kill you. I am unaware if there is a way to avoid this.

I believe the goal is to leave the huanted village with magic but I never got that far since this game is TOUGH!
Ecstatica.

Cecilff2

• Bay Watcher
  • PikaaAAAAあああああ
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2009, 04:39:02 pm »

This sounds familiar.  Did your system develop sort of layers of shields around them and that was their health?  I remember it came on a pack with a similar game set in World War II.  Dangit now I'm going to have this stuck in my head until I can remember its name.  And you're right it's not any of the ones posted here.

Also I'm pretty sure it was for Windows 3.1
« Last Edit: June 24, 2009, 04:41:17 pm by Cecilff2 »
There comes a time when you must take off the soft, furry slippers of a boy and put on the shoes of a man.
Unless of course they don't fit properly and your feet blister up like bubble wrap.
Oh ho ho, but don't try to return the shoes, because they won't take them back once you've worn them.
Especially if that fat pig Tony is at the desk.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2009, 04:55:39 pm »

This sounds familiar.  Did your system develop sort of layers of shields around them and that was their health?  I remember it came on a pack with a similar game set in World War II.  Dangit now I'm going to have this stuck in my head until I can remember its name.  And you're right it's not any of the ones posted here.

Also I'm pretty sure it was for Windows 3.1

Someone mentioned Warpath and your description also fits Warpath, with the shields.  :)
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Cecilff2

• Bay Watcher
  • PikaaAAAAあああああ
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2009, 04:58:12 pm »

Nope no colors.  Just white dots for systems with circles around them if they were occupied and shielded.  I think ships were given like a 4 digit hash name or something.
There comes a time when you must take off the soft, furry slippers of a boy and put on the shoes of a man.
Unless of course they don't fit properly and your feet blister up like bubble wrap.
Oh ho ho, but don't try to return the shoes, because they won't take them back once you've worn them.

bobmi74

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2011, 10:34:21 pm »

Cecliff, we might be thinking of the same game.  And yes, it's 2 years later and I'm still thinking about the game.  haha!  I had completely forgotten about this post. 

I did a quick search for Millennium and I think I found it, so try it again and you might get lucky!

Cecilff2

• Bay Watcher
  • PikaaAAAAあああああ
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2011, 10:45:11 am »

Millenium game pack sounds familiar, I'll check it out later.

Just remembered another one.  Sort of like a board game with wizards, you would roll dice and each tile had a treasure chest.  Some had silver bars, some had gold bars, and others had some sort of key you needed to leave the level.  Both you and the AI were looking for the key.  If the AI got it, he'd start back towards his castle and you'd lose if he made it in.  You could steal it from him by landing on the same tile as him(You could also steal gold/silver bars in the same manner).  Some routes over water costed a certain number of gold/silver bars.  Once you got the key you had to get to the locked gate and leave the map.

Sound familiar at all?
Pages: 1 [2]