Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Fortress design, part MCMXCVIII  (Read 2138 times)

Ashery

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fortress design, part MCMXCVIII
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2009, 04:07:27 pm »

How huge are we talking here?

Gorgeous fort.

Well you could always make a nice layer of obsidian if you have a stream or river and a magma pipe.  If you want to make an amazing fortress nothing says 'I worked my butt off for this' like one made completely out of smoothed obsidian. And with those layers of obsidian you can slowly make the fortress as you had hoped to. Carefully plotted and planned.

Workin' on that now XD

It's not much to look at yet, but if you look it up on DFMA you'll see the general layout in place. I didn't concern myself with making it presentable this spring...rocks that need to be hidden, just doing mass smooth stone designations and not caring about doing only one layer at a time, etc.

And, yes, the fort was planned...using the wonderful technology known as MS Paint (800% zoom + grid) ;p

AtomicPaperclip

• Bay Watcher
  • Who names their kid dagger anyway?
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2009, 05:59:33 pm »

If you want something really well designed definitely scope it out with reveal. I always end up crashing head on into magma pipes and aquifers regardless ._.
Dear Toady: Keep up the good work man, we appreciate you and the game beyond words.

Peewee

• Bay Watcher
  • Watcher Of Bays
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2009, 07:55:45 pm »

Why 1998?

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2009, 01:44:55 am »

I managed to conquer my OCD enough to not care about hitting microcline (though I'm also not "above" modding it out of the game,) and I just make a copy of the region folder and find all of the underground features beforehand so I can mine into them without ruining my design. It's been so long since I let myself be surprised by features in the rock that I barely remember how to plug them up so my fort doesn't die a horrible death if they show up unexpected...

For designating a lot of the fort early I just undesignate key squares to seal areas off until I want them mined out. Having the miners beeline to the farms because that's all they can get to is pretty important when they have the option of spending several seasons mining out statue gardens instead- so I don't give them the option.

After that they kind of extend arms out into the mountain and then I let them start mining out the hands on those arms.
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

Teranar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2009, 03:39:20 pm »

So far for fortress designs I *REALLY* like my 5 towers design. It feels like I just built a Castle, sometimes I even try to build it above ground (Takes a lot of masons, but looks neat!)

Typically here's how I do it:
One tower is the entry/Millitary tower. You come in through here, weapons, armor, soldiers, siege weapons go here. Sometimes the Trade Depot too.

Then the Center tower is the Living Quarters. This way civilians can get where they need to go quickly and easily. Also usually devote a story or two to entertainment, in the form
One tower adjacent to the millitary and civilian is food production. Food is made, prepped, eaten, and stored in this tower. Millitary and Civilians alike can get here and away quickly.
The second tower Adjacent to the Civilian and Millitary is the trade goods storage/production tower. Workshops and storage go here.
The tower farthest away from the enterance is the noble tower. Prissy people go here. Sometimes I stick a self destruct button on this tower......

Something that I am lacking in this design is................... actually, making everything look nice. I want all the towers to be the same size, and I keep screwing up planning. so if someone awesome at that wants to toss in some design suggestions on how to make the inside of the towers look go nuts.
Pages: 1 [2]