Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Fortress design, part MCMXCVIII  (Read 2135 times)

Thomas Winwood

• Bay Watcher
  • Monomath
    • View Profile
Fortress design, part MCMXCVIII
« on: June 21, 2009, 11:24:46 am »

So I have a problem. I'm not sure how to describe it, but it amounts to wanting to design the whole fortress before the miners have laid pick to so much a single tile. I'm terrified I'm going to mess up somehow and my master plan will be ruined.

I get discouraged by seeing wonderful constructions others have made; where their wonderfully planned fortress entrances and stupid dwarf tricks amaze me, the worlds I generate to begin play feel awkward and uneven.

Advice? Suggestions? Thoughts?
U+203C DOUBLE EXCLAMATION MARK (‼) is the Dwarf Fortress symbol for fire, not two instances of U+0021 EXCLAMATION MARK (!!).

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
Re: Fortress design, part MCMXCVIII
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2009, 11:38:35 am »

3 choices:

1) Shoot yourself now.

2) Give up. (can be combined w/ #1, but not in order listed)

3) Read this: http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=36248.0

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2009, 11:41:39 am »

I pretty much just go with the flow, although I do have layouts that I prefer.

neudialect

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2009, 11:45:02 am »

Search around for that AHK script that alows you to import .CSV spreadsheet designs ... or write your own, using AHK as an input frontend.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2009, 11:59:02 am »

The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2009, 12:56:03 pm »

Don't lay out everything first, what you do is likely to vary depending on underground features you find.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2009, 01:25:37 pm »

You may hit an aquifer, or a nice seam of iron/ platinum/ aluminium, so you probably don't want to plan too rigidly ahead.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2009, 01:29:12 pm »

At most, you should plan the entrance area so that you can get the essentials (food storage, the farm, still, and whatever else you want) set up quickly.

I've changed my mind on placing noble rooms for example when I hit some valuable ore.

Rollio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2009, 01:48:58 pm »

I've been creating a fortress with the restriction of no contact with the outside world for quite a while now I let other people decide on the restrictions, anyway I've got my usual warren of disorganised passages and rooms which I rushed into the hillside in the first season and I've expanded above and below when needed since the 7 were sealed in.

Quite apart from this mess I'm creating the first of my planned structures, If you don't like your initial dig then don't use it as the basis for what you're planning on building but just use it to keep your masons and miners fed and housed. If all else fails the alchemy of magma and water can fill in anything you don't like.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2009, 04:57:03 pm »

Whenever I want to plan an organized fortress I look at real-world designs, like when I researched castle courtyards designs for my human castle map. Or the tower schematics for a possible tower fortress. Then I open a raster painting program and plan out the fortress in that.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Efun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2009, 05:01:09 pm »

See, Whenever i try to make a REAL Castle like fortress.... I make it OVERLY HUGE!!!!

I think, well that wont have enough space for ______, so i make it big, then once I finish with the outline i get pissed cuz of the resource Nomming it does and the time it takes
Military dorfs are the busiest if their partner is also in the military, Military children are my forts future, also its hilariously tragic when a mother carrying her child into battle gets hit, and the baby dies....
I fixed that up for you.

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2009, 05:22:24 pm »

See, Whenever i try to make a REAL Castle like fortress.... I make it OVERLY HUGE!!!!

I think, well that wont have enough space for ______, so i make it big, then once I finish with the outline i get pissed cuz of the resource Nomming it does and the time it takes
I like that it takes so many rocks because then its not cluttering everything and if you turn it into blocks first it gives a nice little boost to you worth and training to your masons.
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2009, 05:26:04 pm »

Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Efun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2009, 05:43:56 pm »

How huge are we talking here?

That is planned and stuff, my forts would have a single corner tower as big as HALF of that fort..... im bad with planning.... i usually abandon those forts
Military dorfs are the busiest if their partner is also in the military, Military children are my forts future, also its hilariously tragic when a mother carrying her child into battle gets hit, and the baby dies....
I fixed that up for you.

Kate Wissen

• Bay Watcher
  • Proficient Engineer
    • View Profile
    • http://katewissen.blogspot.com/
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2009, 05:56:24 pm »

Well you could always make a nice layer of obsidian if you have a stream or river and a magma pipe.  If you want to make an amazing fortress nothing says 'I worked my butt off for this' like one made completely out of smoothed obsidian. And with those layers of obsidian you can slowly make the fortress as you had hoped to. Carefully plotted and planned.
Check out my current Community Fortress LostPages.

One day I hope to create the Monkey Torture Chamber of Doom!
Pages: [1] 2