Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Using Giant Eagles  (Read 1577 times)

Jong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Using Giant Eagles
« on: June 21, 2009, 07:16:28 am »

I bought some giant eagles off the elves, and I was wondering what is the best way to use them. Currently I have the eagles leashed behind the gates. Will the eagles be more useful if I let them loose or will they ignore the goblins completely.

Since they are fliers too I was worried that if I let them loose I won't be able to retrieve them.

Heliomance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Using Giant Eagles
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2009, 07:22:31 am »

Storm the gates of Mordor Happy Fun Stuff!

warlordzephyr

• Bay Watcher
  • Keeping dwarves in booze since 2008 (40d)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2009, 07:22:50 am »

hmm, i think you should let them loose after ordering all your dwarves above ground. And take joy in slaughter.
I just made all my dorfs proficient Biters, liars, and went from there.
"Did you eat Urist?"
"Pshht, of course not!"shifty eyes

Byakugan01

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2009, 07:26:01 am »

Like any tame animal, they will path to a meeting area if one is available, so you don't have to worry about retrieval.
From Mr. Welch's 1350 things he is not allowed to do in a RPG:
148. There is no Gnomish Deathgrip, and even if there was, it wouldn't involve tongs.
171. My character's dying words are not allowed to be "Hastur, Hastur, Hastur"
218. No matter my alignment, organizing halfling pit fights is a violation.
231. I am not allowed to do anything that would make a Sith Lord cry.
240. Any character with more than three skills specializing in chainsaw is vetoed.

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2009, 08:17:10 am »

Like any tame animal, they will path to a meeting area if one is available, so you don't have to worry about retrieval.

does this mean you could have 4x4 "nests" that dwarves can't access? that would be AWESOME
my champion is now holding his artifact crossbow by his upper left leg and still shooting with is just fine despite having no hands.
What? He's firing from the hip.

Byakugan01

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2009, 08:59:25 am »

Animals and dwarves path between different meeting areas. So the eagles would path from the nest, to the dwarf meeting area, and then back again.
148. There is no Gnomish Deathgrip, and even if there was, it wouldn't involve tongs.
240. Any character with more than three skills specializing in chainsaw is vetoed.

QuantumSawdust

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2009, 10:57:07 am »

Not the case, sadly. Apparently eagles use ground pathing to find their way to places, so if you set up a "nest" eagles will not congregate there. I know because the 50 or so giant eagles in my fort have never once stood around in any of my nests I tried to set up. There may be a way to get around that somehow though, by screwing around with paths of bridges, floodgates, or something else along those lines.

That being said, it DOES look like eagles occasionally decide "nests" for themselves that are not meeting areas. Several times I've found areas where an eagle is just chillin' out, like the top of a dome over my throne room, or in the bedroom of my dungeon master (who had not tamed him). They would just spend all their time in those places for a decade or so until they died. Most eagles sit around the general meeting area indefinitely though.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2009, 11:36:00 am »

Did they attack goblins, or are GE's one of the gobbo-neutral types?

Haedrian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2009, 11:51:00 am »

You can always edit the raws to make them trainable.

Then you get WAR GIANT EAGLES
When life gives you kittens, make biscuits

Likes llamas for their long necks

Efun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2009, 12:20:49 pm »

HUNTING GIANT EAGLES!!!

Imagine a peaceful scene of 3 deer, eating some grass...

SUDDENLY, YOu hears  screech and out of nowhere a Dwarf RIDING a GIANT EAGLE swoops down and grabs the deer

would be epic....
Military dorfs are the busiest if their partner is also in the military, Military children are my forts future, also its hilariously tragic when a mother carrying her child into battle gets hit, and the baby dies....
I fixed that up for you.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2009, 01:30:34 pm »

HUNTING GIANT EAGLES!!!

SUDDENLY, YOu hears  screech and out of nowhere a Dwarf RIDING a GIANT EAGLE swoops down and grabs the deer

would be epic....
What happens if you mod in mounts for dwarves?

Gergination

• Bay Watcher
  • The world is on fire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2009, 03:57:20 pm »

HUNTING GIANT EAGLES!!!

would be epic....
What happens if you mod in mounts for dwarves?

I'm guessing some really, really bad things (like crashing or some crazy bugs).  Mounts in general seem to be very placeholder for the moment. 

Otherwise everybody would be riding giant eagles or cheetahs swinging war hammers with wild abandon no matter what they were actually doing.
With [SLOW_LEARNER], dwarves probably don't sit around and talk anymore. They just stand in the same corner altogether, staring at each other, sticking their bearded lips out trying to make sounds. And giggling when someone actually says a whole word.

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2009, 04:03:03 pm »

Make your nests with 4-5 leashes and ramps that lead up to the edge but sheer cliffs below (plus a hatch entry that you keep locked except for leashing the eagles).  Leash only the adult eagles there, preferably those with children to simulate hatchlings.

When goblins arrive, level-disassemble the leashes and watch as eagles swoop down and lay waste to the arriving vile force of darkness.
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

Byakugan01

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2009, 04:37:55 pm »

Make your nests with 4-5 leashes and ramps that lead up to the edge but sheer cliffs below (plus a hatch entry that you keep locked except for leashing the eagles).  Leash only the adult eagles there, preferably those with children to simulate hatchlings.

When goblins arrive, level-disassemble the leashes and watch as eagles swoop down and lay waste to the arriving vile force of darkness conveniently placed meals.
Fixed.

ousire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2009, 11:10:33 pm »

When goblins arrive, level-disassemble the leashes and watch as eagles swoop down and lay waste to the arriving vile force of darkness conveniently placed meals.
Fixed.

win.