Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: Instances of the "Magic Arrow"  (Read 10118 times)

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Instances of the "Magic Arrow"
« Reply #45 on: July 12, 2009, 08:58:34 am »

both kidneys(pierced)
pancreas (pierced)
spleen (broken)
and it broke has lower body and stay there.
 1 iron bolt
both eyes out,
both ears pierced
nose  pierced
throat out
neack  pierced
brain  pierced
« Last Edit: July 12, 2009, 02:44:55 pm by Funk »
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

zarmazarma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 12, 2009, 02:10:50 pm »

Well... I mean, if the arrow hit you in the hand with enough force, managed to latch it self to the bone (well, pull it with it) you could hit the hand, pull the thumb out of position, and generally wreck the wrist. As for the arrow in the chest... Maybe the arrow broke in the cavity and sent shrapnel into the vital organs? It doesn't exactly say the extent of the piercing, even a little pericing of the heart is deadly...

Also, I've herd admantium bolts + crossbow will preform some... Well I dunno, but if it's master work quality, I'm thinking instant explosion of the body like it was packed with c4 and was addicted to high octane cigarettes.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2009, 02:14:53 pm by zarmazarma »

Cheshire Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • You Have Struck Turtle Shell!
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 12, 2009, 08:59:09 pm »

heres a picture i did for another thread. it features the magic arrow.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

direct image link
http://img189.imageshack.us/img189/2003/adventuretraining.jpg

i also like the rational explanations for magic arrow shots given in this thread. i laughed.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #48 on: July 13, 2009, 12:26:17 am »

I have a feeling that it's not the arrow that pierces, for there is no arrow, but the organs that believe they've been pierced. This leads me to believe that all organs of every living creature is definitely melodramatic.

That, or everything that arrows and rocks are made of are bits of other Timelords' TARDISs. You know, being 4-dimensional and all, regardless of material. :shrug:
« Last Edit: July 13, 2009, 12:29:57 am by Itnetlolor »

Fermii

• Bay Watcher
  • I Am The Stig.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 17, 2009, 10:10:29 pm »

happened just now

Alrenous, got back to work!
« Last Edit: July 17, 2009, 10:12:36 pm by Fermii »

Firnagzen

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_INSANE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 18, 2009, 05:51:26 am »

Diafragm?

Anyway, I think I've got an explanation for that one.

The bolt (somehow) entered on the left shoulder along the vertical axis of the torso (maybe the child was leaning foward?) at a slight angle. It punches through the heart and diaphragm, narrowly missing the lungs by going just between them. Then it punches through the liver, while the sheer force of the bolt, combined with the awkward posture (bending foward, remember?) sprains his spine.

I'm not sure you can actually sprain your spine, though, bein' as you need ligaments to have a sprain. Are there any ligaments running along the spine?
Christ, are you dwarves or are you elves? If you think Hell has too many demons, then you kill them till the population reaches an acceptable number.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 18, 2009, 06:02:48 am »

The liver is a pretty big organ and part of it does stick into the central axis.

Also, is the diaphragm modded in or something? I don't recall seeing that in the raws.

Alrenous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 18, 2009, 06:54:24 am »

A bolt straight to the sternum, stopped by the spine, will nick the heart, go through the bottom of the liver and the top of the diaphragm. Further, the oesophagus jinks just there, with about enough space to let a bolt pass between it and the stomach. 

'Sprained' isn't in the standard wound types, according to the wiki. So yes, mod. Regardless, it means something like grey damage from a non-piercing source. So the bolt lost the tip on the way through the ribs, resulting in blunt trauma.

My lower anatomy isn't as good as my head anatomy, but that's pretty impressive given the distance between the kidneys, the fact that the spleen is behind the ribcage, and how it completely avoided the guts.

I know 'upper body' essentially means ribcage, but I really don't know what 'lower body' is. Judging by the organs considered lower the area is everything that isn't legs below the ribs, but the actual organ it represents...

I'm going to go with; bolt enters from the right, heading slightly upward. (I assume you are a dwarf shooting at a human...it is plausible.) It goes through the bottom of the right kidney, the top of the left kidney, passes by the pancreas (this would also damage the duodenum, but not the 'stomach' or 'guts') and gets lodged under the ribcage where the spleen is.

This really is impossible without damaging the head.
Okay so the bolt strikes the throat and bounces out, off the spine, and then an extremely powerful gust of wind sends it back into the nose, cutting it, whereupon it goes into the left eye, but bounces out again with such force that the flights slash the right eye. Then it cuts both ears out of sheer spite. It is a very bitter bolt.
The brain takes repeated shockwaves, adding up to grey damage from a bolt, or 'pierced'
« Last Edit: July 18, 2009, 06:56:21 am by Alrenous »
It started raining, then all my dwarves outside started bleeding to death. On inspection their upper bodies were missing.

Radioactive Zombie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 22, 2009, 11:45:23 pm »

But that wouldn't explain how, in some instances, the arrows can damage the left and right ears and not cause any further damage.

Or damaging the lung... and then the leg.

On a giant bear.

That's running.

Tradanbattlan

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_DECENCY]
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #54 on: July 22, 2009, 11:48:16 pm »

Simple, really.
The front leg was up near the lung.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 23, 2009, 05:46:53 am »

I just feel that I have to do it.

Here we have a perfect list of shameless liars who probably even didn't try to play adventure mode and just talk shit. If they'd try to play adv. mode at least once they'd know that you can't damage more than 1 "outer" body part at once, so you cannot damage inner body parts from different "major" parts with 1 shot:

Men, get some conscience.

I am not sure about Village_Idiot, he seems confident enough, probably he has upperbody and lowerbody modded together, but it's his fault then.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2009, 05:49:32 am by Deon »
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 23, 2009, 09:35:48 am »

If you're under heavy fire/ lying on the ground, then you may miss the fact that several arrows actually hit you, and just check your wounds afterwards.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #57 on: July 23, 2009, 11:04:21 am »

I just feel that I have to do it.

Here we have a perfect list of shameless liars who probably even didn't try to play adventure mode and just talk shit. If they'd try to play adv. mode at least once they'd know that you can't damage more than 1 "outer" body part at once, so you cannot damage inner body parts from different "major" parts with 1 shot:

Men, get some conscience.

I am not sure about Village_Idiot, he seems confident enough, probably he has upperbody and lowerbody modded together, but it's his fault then.

In older versions of the game you could take damage to more then one part of the body at a time. Also, both ears at the same time has happened to me in 40d.

Tradanbattlan

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_DECENCY]
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #58 on: July 23, 2009, 11:38:51 am »

WORDSWORDSWORDS
Jeez, thank you Captain Funruin.

Sysice

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware!
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 25, 2009, 06:01:52 pm »

An arrow hit me in the head poked out my LEFT eye, peirced my RIGHT ear, then poked my throat out. The only thing i can think of is that it hit my spinem, after going through my eye and throat, without hurting it, then sent shrapnel to my ear without hitting anything else... AKA, I can't think of a single plausible thing.
I managed to make a dog that bled bees.
Quote from: Threetoe
Imagine evil grass that looks like a mass of wriggling worms. Happy holidays!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5