Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Instances of the "Magic Arrow"  (Read 10142 times)

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
Re: Instances of the "Magic Arrow"
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2009, 01:38:15 pm »

One of my fortress dwarves appeared to have pierced all four of the fingers of a kobold's right hand with one shot, causing me to imagine the kobold doing a karate chop... on nothing.

Alrenous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2009, 09:26:24 am »

Okay, okay. Let's do this.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The arrow struck the bridge of the nose at a high angle, the barbs slashing out both eyes. It then heads through one eye, through the palate, misses the throat due to being off centre, and lodges in the top of the spine, where it's called 'neck.'

Arrow hits straight on between thumb and first finger, barbs slicing into both, and ricochets off the hand. The force of the blow sprains the wrist.

Does upper body essentially mean ribcage?

Bolt strikes left side of chest, heading inward, essentially nicking both lung and heart, and strikes the spine, breaking it, then bounces backward so that the barbs can tear into the right lung. It then...falls out?

Alternate: by 'pierced' it just means that it was an bolt attack, and the lungs and heart got grey wounds. So: bolt strikes the ribcage, breaking both bolt and ribcage. Deceleration force breaks the spine and the shockwave bruises the lungs and heart.

Although...according to http://dwarf.lendemaindeveille.com/index.php/Wound, hearts and lungs can only be mangled, light wounds and removal are not possible. So this one's easy; it would have just bruised the organs, so it said 'pierced' and not 'mangled,' but it can only be mangled, and they were, so this arrow stove in the ribs, mangled the organs on the way through, and ricoched off the spine on exit, breaking it.

This one took some thinking. Okay, so the bolt once again enters at a high angle near the nose, but from somewhat to the right. It passes through both eyes, the nose and exits out the left ear. Exiting through the cheekbone overstresses the skull's tensile strength, and the force slams the jaw into the throat, crushing it. Again, it's called 'poked out' because a bolt was the weapon, but really it was the jaw that did the damage. 

The bolt entered the head just in front of the right ear, at only a slightly 'behind' diagonal, such that one of the barbs slashed that ear, and then went almost laterally through both eyes. Essentially this one got caught by the back of the cheekbone. It went through the nasal bone, but too far back to cause damage to the part actually labelled 'nose.'

That 'it is broken' at the top means he has a yellow 'head' now, right? Sadly I don't know how the horns are positioned, so...

Okay, so this one hit from the left, went almost directly through the ear, ricoched off the nasal bone, sending fragments into the right eye, and then headed down through the palate, through the throat, and lodged in the top of the spine.

The force was such that a shard from the right horn sliced through the right ear, breaking it.

So, err, implausible enough?

Edit Oops, missed one.

The kobold raises his dagger to strike! The crossbowdwarf's shot goes wild! It glides past the kobold's hand, slashing past all four knuckles! The kobold is startled by its bleeding hand, but does not drop the dagger.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2009, 09:40:54 am by Alrenous »
It started raining, then all my dwarves outside started bleeding to death. On inspection their upper bodies were missing.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2009, 10:30:35 am »

*stuff*
Very impressive.  You appear to have given logical explanations to all of these.  As unlikely as they are, suddenly I see how they can be possible now.

You win a coupon for 1 internet cookie of your choice.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2009, 11:39:55 am »

Haha, that is brilliant, creative and slightly disturbing.  Well done.

And I knew that my kobold one was funny, it just provoked a funny mental image of an arrow passing across all four of a kobold's fingers.  Didn't stop the next arrow from giving him a fatal wound, but never mind.

Peewee

• Bay Watcher
  • Watcher Of Bays
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2009, 12:15:17 pm »

Last frame is relevant to this thread.

Alrenous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2009, 11:02:02 am »

Yay! Alrenous likes cookies.

I wish it was a more serious wound so I could have the bolt bounce of the dagger.
It started raining, then all my dwarves outside started bleeding to death. On inspection their upper bodies were missing.

Tradanbattlan

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_DECENCY]
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2009, 11:55:48 am »

I had an arrow pass through my hand, into my left lung, heart and upper spine and stay there.

Efun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2009, 07:55:45 pm »

I had an arrow pass through my hand, into my left lung, heart and upper spine and stay there.

Pull something epic a pull it out...
Military dorfs are the busiest if their partner is also in the military, Military children are my forts future, also its hilariously tragic when a mother carrying her child into battle gets hit, and the baby dies....
I fixed that up for you.

Tradanbattlan

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_DECENCY]
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2009, 07:57:02 pm »

Turns out that the arrow was the only thing keeping me alive.
I pulled it out and bled to death.

Peewee

• Bay Watcher
  • Watcher Of Bays
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2009, 05:55:16 am »

Easy. The arrow pierced your shield and went through your left hand, then it went up through your left lung and heart before burying itself in your upper spine.

Village_Idiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2009, 04:33:52 pm »

I dpn't have the exact wording, but my adventurer got hit by a single bolt and was hurt in his:

heart
left lung
right lung
left kidney
upper spine
lower spine

He died instantly. I'm especially curious how the arrow pierced the whole spine upwards, but also managed to hit the lungs, presumably sideward, and also mangled the left kidney....

Calvin

• Bay Watcher
  • @
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2009, 10:14:05 pm »

What's even more curious, is how it damaged all the organs without piercing your upper/lower body.

Deimos56

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: unicorpion]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2009, 11:01:15 pm »

Now that's a magic arrow.
I'm curious what the barely conscious ai wrote about.
Well that went better than expected.  He went nuts and punched a rabbit to death, then the dogs and the whole dining hall ripped him to shreds.

Alrenous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 26, 2009, 05:31:31 am »

Assuming this was from behind...
Bolt strikes at the juncture of 'upper spine' and 'lower spine,' ricocheting up and slightly to the left, piercing left lung and heart. Lower spine bends downward into the right kidney, upper spine bends upward into the right lung.

Village_Idiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 26, 2009, 07:14:36 am »

It was a bolt, and my adventurer was hit by hit from the front by a goblin crossbowman.

Also, the adventurer was entirely naked except for an iron hammer.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5