Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Instances of the "Magic Arrow"  (Read 10106 times)

blah28722

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Instances of the "Magic Arrow"
« on: June 21, 2009, 02:25:07 am »

I'm sure anyone that's played adventurer mode knows what I'm talking about. It's those damn bolts/arrows/whatevers that manage to do impossible shots, taking out multiple body parts by taking mid-air turns.

Let's list them and see who has the best!

From just now (too lazy to screenshot it)

The flying Copper arrow strikes The Human Bowman in the head!
It is pierced!
The human bowman has been stunned!
The Human Bowman's right eye has been poked out!
The Human Bowman's left eye has been poked out!
The Human Bowman's nose has been badly pierced!
The Human Bowman's neck has been badly pierced!
The Copper arrow has lodged firmly in the wound!

The flying copper arrow strikes the shopkeeper in the right hand!
It is badly pierced! The shopkeeper's right wrist has been sprained!
The shopkeeper's thumb, right hand has been badly pierced!
The shopkeeper's first finger, right hand has been badly pierced!

The flying iron bolt strikes the human spearman in the upper body!
It is broken!
The Human Spearman's right lung has been pierced!
The Human Spearman's left lung has been pierced!
The Human Spearman's heart has been pierced!
The Human Spearman's upper spine has been broken

The flying iron bolt strikes the human diplomat in the head!
It is broken!
The human diplomat has been knocked unconscious!
The Human Diplomat's right eye has been poked out!
The Human Diplomat's left eye has been poked out!
The Human Diplomat's left ear has been broken!  <------ Broken ear, oh the horror!
The Human Diplomat's nose has been broken!
The Human Diplomat's throat has been poked out!
« Last Edit: June 21, 2009, 02:47:59 am by blah28722 »

Urist McCyrilin

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh, the dwarfity!
    • View Profile
    • CyCom! Writing&PnP!
Re: Instances of the "Magic Arrow"
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2009, 02:39:50 am »

That is because DF's arrows are very long... And crooked... And spin around like boomerangs.

Domini0n

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2009, 03:09:40 am »

I figure they fragment on impact like (afaik) a hollow point bullet as to cause the most tissue damage.

Urist McCyrilin

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh, the dwarfity!
    • View Profile
    • CyCom! Writing&PnP!
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2009, 03:53:10 am »

But that wouldn't explain how, in some instances, the arrows can damage the left and right ears and not cause any further damage.

Simmura McCrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2009, 04:32:54 am »

In Fortress mode, I had a dabbling Fortress Guard crossbowdwarf one hit kill a dragon by removing both its lungs and its heart. Quite impressive seeing as said dragon had just flattened my main military.

Jakkarra

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2009, 07:22:25 am »

sometimes the arrows split in half in mid-air, sending both shards i opposite directions. hence
arrows can damage the left and right ears and not cause any further damage.

Lehmusjoki

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2009, 07:31:25 am »

[OFFTOPIC]
In Fortress mode, I had a dabbling Fortress Guard crossbowdwarf one hit kill a dragon by removing both its lungs and its heart. Quite impressive seeing as said dragon had just flattened my main military.
I hope you drown this fellow in booze, treasury and wardogs. I love to give my unexpected heroes the treatment they do not deserve, according to their skills and attritubes.
[/OFFTOPIC]

Simmura McCrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam profile
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2009, 07:42:15 am »

[OFFTOPIC]
I hope you drown this fellow in booze, treasury and wardogs. I love to give my unexpected heroes the treatment they do not deserve, according to their skills and attritubes.
[/OFFTOPIC]
The tomb I gave her is the biggest in the fortress and covered in masterwork statues and the like. And I tossed her some steel armour.

Lehmusjoki

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2009, 07:47:41 am »

The tomb I gave her is the biggest in the fortress and covered in masterwork statues and the like. And I tossed her some steel armour.

Good job. Back to topic: Does it help to get down when dodging arrows and bolts?

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2009, 08:17:42 am »

Good job. Back to topic: Does it help to get down when dodging arrows and bolts?
I asked this to Toady on another thread.  His response:
3.  Grounded units cannot be hit by projectiles until their "ground effectiveness" kicks in, unless they don't have one in which case they can always hit.  For shots or thrown projectiles, this is the range of the shot (or maybe that -1).  The idea was to have them pass over intervening grounded guys to hit their intended target.  However, people mostly shoot at the closest enemy, so it's mostly for you in adventure mode.  I don't think there are any other modifiers for being prone, though there reasonably should be.
So you can be shot over, but it doesn't seem to make much difference if they're aiming at you and are good at shooting.  It also does double damage if you're on the floor, and your decreased speed will increase the number of shots they get in.  I wouldn't advise it much.

Lehmusjoki

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2009, 08:26:21 am »

So you can be shot over, but it doesn't seem to make much difference if they're aiming at you and are good at shooting.  It also does double damage if you're on the floor, and your decreased speed will increase the number of shots they get in.  I wouldn't advise it much.

Thanks.

So, has anyone actually tried to play around with ranged adventurers? Must be a pain to train, unless you have an old fort with loads of cheap ammo to waste. Also, the ammo will probably weight a bit to much, so until you can build a home to store them in, ranged adventurers will probably be a pain in the ass to play.  Also, I think that AI ranged can see further than you, AMIRITE?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2009, 09:00:59 am »

The flying copper arrow strikes the shopkeeper in the right hand!
It is badly pierced! The shopkeeper's right wrist has been sprained!
The shopkeeper's thumb, right hand has been badly pierced!
The shopkeeper's first finger, right hand has been badly pierced!

If his/her hand was in a certain position, that might be possible, but yea, the others show strange arrow pathing. I'm surprised the brain didn't get pierced in a few of them.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2009, 09:13:13 am »

So, has anyone actually tried to play around with ranged adventurers? Must be a pain to train, unless you have an old fort with loads of cheap ammo to waste. Also, the ammo will probably weight a bit to much, so until you can build a home to store them in, ranged adventurers will probably be a pain in the ass to play.  Also, I think that AI ranged can see further than you, AMIRITE?
Not sure; resize. It's certainly possible to get to the real edge of your vision bubble if you use a bigger grid.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2009, 09:39:50 am »

A few from a recent rampage I did with a high skill adventurer and some random recriuts from a nearby country.

From behind you say?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

It did all that without touching the grey matter?

And lastly, it wasn't an arrow, but it was still one hell of a swing.

EDIT: P.S. I have my gridsize at 123:59 I can see the vision edges easily.  I messed around with a crossbower in adventure mode also.  At proficent you fire somewhat slower than normal movement, meaning you really want to make sure yer good in a melee weapon too.  At dabbling it almost takes 4x normal movement time to fire.  As for yer bolt supply, you do ok until you buy and use up all the cities' stock of cheap bolts.  Once all that's left is high quality it becomes difficult to afford.   Higher quality crossbow increases accuracy and firing speed.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2009, 09:57:20 am by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

ArkDelgato

• Bay Watcher
  • ERROR - LOGICAL FALLACY
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2009, 09:50:50 am »

Arrows must be some sort of magnetic corkscrews, imbued with the souls of the damned, who seek vengeance in the form of face-organs even in death.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5