Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Boiling leather?  (Read 2564 times)

Fault

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Boiling leather?
« on: June 21, 2009, 01:39:23 am »

I'm not so sure what mod caused this, but apparently somewhere in my raws folder there is a creature called " ". Just a space. I cannot find it to delete it, and it is causing me a lot of problems. Whenever leather of this creature appears on my map, It boils, spreading deadly red gas everywhere. More perplexing, anyone caught in this gas freezes to death. I always make sure not to embark with it (it's tempting, as "   leather" costs no money). But I cant stop dwarves from wearing it when I embark.

Oh, and it killed a wagon. I didn't think that was possible.

Saurus33

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Boiling leather?
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2009, 04:07:34 am »

This might be related to artefacts occasionally using "rock" without type. Beyond that, I have no idea.

Also, mountain walrus?

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2009, 04:43:53 am »

I suggest you delete it from the RAWs. And yes, you can actually kill wagons. Wait, mountain walrus? What the hell?

Fault

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2009, 05:09:27 am »

MOUNTAINT WALRUS
oh that's uh, somethin I modded in.
It can be butchered for a lot of fat.

BACK ON TOPIC
An odd thing that happened was that the leather was brought in by a merchant caravan, and it only boiled when they set it down in the Trade Depot. Then they left dissapointed, apparently blaming it on me that their goods had violently exploded as soon as they dropped them in the Depot.

Also, this whole thing started happening after I downloaded the popular orc mod (the one with the war elephants and giant wolf spiders) but it's still going on even after I deleted the orc creatures and entitites from the raw folder...

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2009, 06:23:09 am »

You may have tried this allready, but try delete the content of data/raw. Compiled things whos raws you allready deleted may still be in there.

If that doesnt do it, either overwrite your creature files with a default copy, or manualy trawl through your creatire files and find some nameless creature with some weird tempreature settings. Note that it might just be a creature with broken tags.

This is excatelly the reason why I put all my mods in seperate files :P
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2009, 08:26:39 am »

What, you expect a deadwood wagon to be alive? ;)  But yeah, wagons're wonky critters.
And I think it's freezing everything to death, if it's the same as trying to make ivory, etc.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

ac31

• Bay Watcher
  • [FIREBREATH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2009, 10:00:19 am »

the raws for this leather must be saved

i mean seriously, wagon killing boiling leather

fuck. yes.
Just wondering if it would be possible (however unwise) to make demons a civilisation
I don't see any reason they couldn't be. What would happen if they breached the HFS?
Horrors! Annoying relatives in the deep!

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2009, 03:05:16 pm »

If you are having problems finding the creature in your raws then I'd suggest using WinMerge to compare your modded raw/objects folder with a vanilla one, its really simple to locate and the software is free.

On the other hand there might not even be any " " creature in your raws, this might be some fun error or perhaps you removed a creature you shouldn't have?
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2009, 03:10:02 pm »

Your mountain walri are going to have to fight my giant desert lobsters to the death someday.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Fault

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2009, 08:17:54 pm »

MORE INFO
it's listed in my embark profiles as costing 0 moneys, which is just odd.

This is what happens when I embark:

VATTIC
that sounds like a good idea. I'll try WinMerge.

COBALTKOBOLD
Deadwood is a tree I modded for evil biomes. It starts out grey and turns red if it dies. (It's mostly for effect)

UNTELLIGENT
Can I have the raws for that creature?

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2009, 02:48:23 am »

waitwaitwait...

You can specify a colour for trees?

I needs to do that for my Petrified Elves.

Incidentally, I got the same effect with my Explodium material- which I then kept, and renamed Antimagma (heh). It's caused by having a ridiculously low boiling temperature- it can't seem to get any higher than its boiling temperature, so you've got a cloud of sub-absolute-zero leather vapour. Look through the creature files for something without a name.
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

blah28722

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2009, 04:25:43 am »

Boiling leather is caused by leather with an incorrect matgloss, I believe.

I had gotten freezing boiling leather before from trying to create hydra leather from a smelter reaction. (Side note: Dragon leather boiled, not sure what causes what.)

Your traders might be trying to bring leather from a creature that did not create leather or has incomplete information about its leather.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2009, 04:28:41 am »

waitwaitwait...

You can specify a colour for trees?

The tag, [DEAD_COLOR:] does show up in the tree section of the string dump, so technically, yes.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Fault

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2009, 07:56:42 pm »

I think this was kind of caused by me modding too much, and mods getting their "wires crossed" (like what caused that wizard tower fortress) because I keep experiencing other weird things, like getting gremlin traders on this map, even though they don't have a file in my ENTITY_DEFAULT. Also, I occasionally get killed by dire wolves in adventure mode (beasts from the orc mod) even though I deleted those from the raws.

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2009, 09:33:06 pm »

*Takes a five second look at thread*

It's caused by giving a creature a leather tag, but not having an entry for the matgloss in the raws.

AWAYYYYYY
Pages: [1] 2