Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10

Author Topic: An MMO...  (Read 10326 times)

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
Re: An MMO...
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2009, 10:25:24 pm »

Actually, a system like Maplestory mixed with Kirby Superstar mixed with a good MMO would be grand.

Imagine a 2D platforming MMO, a lot like Maplestory. Add moves like a fighting game where different key combinations in different situations do different abilities. Now take away the horrible grinding of Maplestory, and we have something decent.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

HatfieldCW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2009, 11:39:38 pm »

Do any of you guys play EvE Online?  When I discovered DF, I immediately thought how spectacularly rad it would be to have the dwarven economy in EvE.  Mining ore into a would earn dwarfbucks, as would hauling it to station, refining it at your level of ability and processing it into goods.  Everyone could be credited for their individual contributions, and then could use that "credit" to pull finished gear out of the shared inventory.  Nobody could rip your group off, since their withdrawals would never exceed their contributions, and you could weight votes for decisions (war declarations, establishment of facilities, etc.) based on the portion of the overall value for which each member is responsible.  It would be the perfect communist democracy, and would reward both the individual and the group for acting in everyone's best interests.

I hold EvE as the "best we've got" example of MMOs, and might reactivate good old Reggie Stoneloader one of these days.  The thing that always chased me away was that you could farm NPCs and get rich without actually producing anything, then buy fancy combat gear and go kill miners with it (one of my favorite hobbies, but still...).  If a battleship in space represented the infrastructure to build and equip it, rather than just the dedication to grind on harmless NPCs, I'd be paying every month to inhabit that world.
I brake for stumble bumblings

Thndr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2009, 11:46:12 pm »

No levels. One would have a collection of skills, and the only thing stopping a warrior from learning magic would be time and effort.
Sounds a lot like UO to me.

Anyway, a MMO I would like to play would basically be the next generation UO (Houses, skills, economy, other player influenced things other than GRIND HERE, GET LOOT, PWN QUIPS)
or MMO DF adventure mode (Granted a little bit simplier and WoW inspired, but basically the same thing as multiplayer DF Adventurer mode)

Because lets face it, the the entire world system behind DF would make a great MMO. Generating different world seeds (a 'world tree' system to have multiple of the same world) for variety servers, playerbase affecting each server different over the course of time (of course an interserver system could guide other servers to have NPCs mimic major actions of real players on other servers to reduce the variety between the servers, so you don't have someone deforest a place and years later, one server is taken over by elves while the other one prevented it *although that would be VERY cool to see*)

I could go on about it for a while, but it's just that I see massive potential in the underlying system DF has.

Vahan

« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2009, 01:29:00 am »

No levels. One would have a collection of skills, and the only thing stopping a warrior from learning magic would be time and effort.

A world large and diverse enough to allow for backwoods areas people rarely go, cities that can actually fit the playerbase. A dynamic country system, where cities can come and go over the course of months. Skills that make one actually feel like they are in whatever demographic they are in. Peasant newbies should feel kinda like they are poor underdogs reaching for uncearten greatness. Demigods should scare away most everything but other demigods. An experience curve that always awards a person something regularly.

That sounds pretty much exactly like DarkFall.

Except Darkfall is filled with the type of people you just love to hate, and they've delivered on basically nothing they've promised.

Also, major hacks. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HpLQ54CtWI <- That boat is flying.

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2009, 02:38:17 am »

Star Wars Galaxies, before the GIMP had the best character skill system I have seen yet in any MMO, even with several classes that were broken and useless (droid engineer).

You simply gained skill in something by using it. Tired of firing a rifle and want to do hand-to-hand? Just start doing it, you will gain points to spend on those skill trees. You could actually play all the classes with one character if given enough time.

Of course, it wasnt perfect, but what is? Also the crafting system was fun. Mining resources and setting up shops was pretty cool. Also scripting your bots to run things when you are offline, that is something I would love to see in an MMO again.

Also, I play Eve and grinding NPCs is not the way most things are built. The folks out in low securtiy space are the only ones with access to the choice minerals required to build the good ships and gear, and low sec space is fraught with war and territory disuptes. All completely player driven.

Eve, hands down, has the best virtual economy ever to have existed since computers came to be. Still, the game gets boring once you have done it all. Truth is, they all do.
I got nothing

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2009, 02:59:45 am »

Eve, hands down, has the best virtual economy ever to have existed since computers came to be

Depends by what you mean by "Best" and also apperantly Eve Online took years before its economy became stable.

Plus some aspects of its economy are simply horrific and stupid (Namely Player given Missions. Which are all rip-off grief attempts)

I wouldn't give it the "Best" award just yet.

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2009, 03:24:27 am »

player given missions? ummm... you mean the contract system?

So you are saying that there are scammers, criminals, crooks and cheats....sounds pretty real to me.

it is a massive economy, i have made money day trading just like in rl. You can transport goods for profit based on regional supply/demand. all of this is player driven, there is no tweaking by the devs except for resource distribution.

And yes, the economy evolved over years of play, like a real economy. In fact it is in every way a real economy with simulated money.

Also, something eve has that others dont (as far as economy goes). Most ships and mods are player made, with minerals mined by players. These ships and constantly being destroyed which drives the economy. They are being destroyed mostly by player alliances and corps warring each other for access to the very minerals to build those ships. Again all player driven.

I stress that it is the destructible nature of the goods being produced that continues to drive the economy. It has gotten to the point where they are talking about the Eve economy in college class about...economics. No ther mmo or simulation has done that. Its boring as all hell, but its working.

Trust me, i am no fanboy of Eve. it bores me to tears. I still have a pilot there and have been ingame for over 3 years, still training. getting close to 30 millions skill points. Wanna buy a pilot?
I got nothing

Broose

• Bay Watcher
  • Pilfering Gatorhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2009, 04:11:12 am »

I was just talking to a friend about this. (Note I am not considering lag and all of that, because there would probably be a lot.)

There would be multiple servers, and each server would have a galaxy with around, maybe 20 planets. Each planet would be randomly generated, and races with random body types and statistics would be added to each planet. Each race would be put into a different age of technological advancement. Each age would have it's own new weapons, items, etc. (So one race might have space travel, while the other might be using catapults and swords.) Players would be encouraged to start making cities, and eventually entire empires. After you meet a certain requirement, (Maybe total objects crafted, etc.) the race would advance in age, and give people access to new technologies. The servers would reset when the admins feel it is appropriate. Your skills would be saved when it resets. (but not your items)

Other Features:

Perma-death. Like when servers reset, your skills would be saved.

Realistic damage system. It would basically be like DF's, but tweaked so that new players still have a chance at taking out a veteran with a lucky hit from a gun or blade.

No levels or classes. Everything would be based around skills, instead.

That's all I can think of for now.

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2009, 04:30:12 am »

why do we want so many people in our videogame anyway?

Azkanan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2009, 09:56:26 am »

why do we want so many people in our videogame anyway?
I'v come to the conclusion of Pride.
Wanting to show off their level, equipment. Skill, establishments, etc.

You might say "To meet with friends", but then again, you can just do that on MSN, or, whatever. :)
A pool of Dwarven Ale.
WHO IS RESPONSIBLE FOR THIS ?

yamo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2009, 10:25:05 am »

permadeath

no NPCs
Then again, I consider Infinity to be overly ambitious, something that might easily spell it's downfall.

-Blackthorne

Labs

• Bay Watcher
  • This aggresion will not stand, man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2009, 11:22:12 am »

I like to slip into bear caves around midnight and gently caress the carnivore inside before leaving a small cut of fresh fish and sneaking out.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2009, 01:09:42 pm »

permadeath

no NPCs

Well I know this is supposed to be an oppinion driven topic rather then fact... but Permadeath is always something that sounds better in paper then it does in reality.

It would be like playing a videogame and needing to start over everytime you die except along with this the Last Boss can at anytime pop out of nowhere and kill you. Add that this game takes a month to beat and it becomes arduous.

Let me see... My Perfect MMO:
-Mass Combat with Something sorta like a fighting system (Weapons involved)
-Leveling up gives access to deeper combos, faster movement, and more complex moves.
-Character creation system (Honestly)

Hmm that isn't right... I am sure there is more to my perfect MMO.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2009, 01:12:19 pm by Neonivek »

jnecros

• Bay Watcher
  • Black dog runs at night
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 21, 2009, 01:40:16 pm »

Take the character creation from Age of Conan, the questing system and character build systems from WoW. Add the skill development and mounted combat systems from Ultima Online/Darkfail. Many classes and races via Vanguard and Everquest. Ship building, lair/castle/tower building, as well as player driven conquest of said areas, with ship combat via Pirate of the Burning Sea. A magic and alchemical experiment element, maybe astronomy as well stargazing ect. and Npcs hirelings. Twitch based combat, with lag countermeasures. Achievement title with bonuses via Lord of the Rings online, dynamic economy via EVE online. WAR battleground pvp, with arenas from WoW.
Half beard
half belly
all dwarf

Psyco Jelly

• Bay Watcher
  • It begins!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 21, 2009, 04:03:10 pm »

And 50$ a month.

With another 50$ For a guide telling you where the best junk is.

Randomized world! Each month or so there is a "shift" where the town's orientations and layouts change, with wilderness being completely redone. All dungeons are randomly generated.
Not only is it not actually advertising anything, it's just copy/pasting word salads about gold, runescape, oil, yuan, and handbags.  It's like a transporter accident combined all the spambots into one shambling mass of online sales.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10