Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10

Author Topic: An MMO...  (Read 10311 times)

Azkanan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
An MMO...
« on: June 20, 2009, 06:56:46 pm »

If you guys could imagine the perfect MMO, where anything is possible, what would you have in it?

I'm thinking;
Full Crafting, Mining, Relationships, self-run armies, Village-building...
A pool of Dwarven Ale.
WHO IS RESPONSIBLE FOR THIS ?

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile
Re: An MMO...
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2009, 07:10:11 pm »

A place where I could be me. A place where I could be anything. A place where I could advertise like an MMO I'd want to be.

Azkanan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2009, 07:10:32 pm »

Disregard
« Last Edit: June 20, 2009, 07:15:49 pm by Azkanan »
A pool of Dwarven Ale.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2009, 07:13:05 pm »

No levels. One would have a collection of skills, and the only thing stopping a warrior from learning magic would be time and effort.

A world large and diverse enough to allow for backwoods areas people rarely go, cities that can actually fit the playerbase. A dynamic country system, where cities can come and go over the course of months. Skills that make one actually feel like they are in whatever demographic they are in. Peasant newbies should feel kinda like they are poor underdogs reaching for uncearten greatness. Demigods should scare away most everything but other demigods. An experience curve that always awards a person something regularly.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2009, 07:14:53 pm »

I'm thinking;
What you said, plus:
-farming,
-herding,
-skill-basedness (as in no levels, just learn-by-doing skillpoints),
-at least DF-level realistic combat,
-variability in crafting (use different materials for different parts of the item),
-permadeath (as well as magical methods of avoiding it),
-possibility of non-lethal combat,
-limited, yet "realistic" magic (if you can throw a fireball at someone, then it should put him on fire, not take away 10 HPs),
-steampunk setting (locomotives, guns and magic).

Azkanan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2009, 07:15:37 pm »

No levels. One would have a collection of skills, and the only thing stopping a warrior from learning magic would be time and effort.

A world large and diverse enough to allow for backwoods areas people rarely go, cities that can actually fit the playerbase. A dynamic country system, where cities can come and go over the course of months. Skills that make one actually feel like they are in whatever demographic they are in. Peasant newbies should feel kinda like they are poor underdogs reaching for uncearten greatness. Demigods should scare away most everything but other demigods. An experience curve that always awards a person something regularly.

Man, that does sound pretty hot... Backwards where people rarely go. It's annoying in alot of MMOs where there's so much space, but people only go to one area for certain things; namely "Levelling up" areas.
Yeah. I'v always wanted to make my own village and hire guards in an MMO. VCO nearly had it, but, it was just a word-play scam. :)
A pool of Dwarven Ale.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2009, 07:57:35 pm »

The idea is that things will be shifting often enough that you won't find things in the same place all the time. Because of how dynamic the system is, nobody can farm a spot that gives .5% extra experience. Quests feel like quests, because while you may be given information on where things are the information could have changed. You need to search for whatever you are searching for. Naturally such things would have common areas they gravitate to so things are not totally random, but I want people to hunt for information and feel like they are in the roles they are in.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Hawkfrost

• Bay Watcher
  • It's way too late to stop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2009, 08:09:15 pm »

Personally, I would like skills to be similar to Diablo 2.
In all these MMOs, eventually everyone is the same thing, they all have the same abilities and skills.
I liked how in Diablo you only had enough skill points to either spread out, or focus in one area.
It makes it so there are multiple ways of killing enemies, not just "Oh, I'm a mage, better buy Fireball Lv.11, it's better than Lightning Bolt Lv.9. Oh lookie, every other mage my level is also buying this same ability, because it's the best one (WoW...).

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2009, 08:29:47 pm »

I've always liked games with an interesting alchemy system, having to experiment can be a good deal of the fun. The problem with having something like this in an MMO of course is that you'll just get wikis set up with all the recipes and nobody will experiment. One way around this is to tier the ingredients in terms of rarity, each tier would include many equally rare ingredients. Each potion would have its own template, a healing potion needing two tier 1 ingredients and a tier 2 ingredient. Then the actual ingredients required for each potion would be randomly chosen for each new player. If I were implementing something like this I'd also group ingredients by element or something similar so the template for the ignite potion would be 1 tier 1 fire ingredient, 1 tier 2 any ingredient or similar. You could even get really creative in that there are many ways to process a raw ingredient thereby turning each ingredient into many others.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Volfram

• Bay Watcher
  • hate you all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2009, 08:37:02 pm »

Either no levels, or no level caps

Player-designed content(particularly armor and weapons.  A high-grade crafter can craft high-grade armor and weapons, which he designs himself with an integrated toolset) to go along with the lack of levels/caps.

Hack 'n Slash or 3rd-person shooter-style realtime combat system, instead of the boot-kicking style currently used

As mentioned before, lots of exploration ability

LOTS of GM-run events.
Andir and Roxorius "should" die.

Yes, actually, I am trying to get myself banned.  I wish Toady would quit working on this worthless piece of junk and go back to teaching math.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2009, 08:38:31 pm »

Personally, I want a series of independent areas that require player effort to maintain and restart. Take SS13. What I would like is a series of stations devoted to different tasks, along with planet side work. You have to set up siphoning stations for air on the planet to ship it up to the stations, where on the mining station they get metal while breathing the air brought up from the planet, then that metal goes to the alien artifact station to repair the damage from the latest problem with the artifact or the most recent attack from said aliens. Each would require a different skill set which would be raised by doing, with the air harvesting being easiest, followed by mining then the alien experimentation. Naturally this is far less complex then what I idealize, but its a start for a basic system.

Basically, a world where advancement requires players to work together in all the stages of the game, where the newbie harvesting air actually has an effect on the extremely experienced scientists working on the artifact. Where the laser turret gunners on defense for the stations and the meat harvesters killing seex snow moooose are both doing critical work that makes a difference. What always pissed me off about WoW was the pointlessness of the quests. Hell one day I saw final stage before being attuned for Onyxia in SW go off 10 times in ONE HOUR. Kinda made it feel pointless to even bother from a story aspect.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2009, 09:31:43 pm »

If you guys could imagine the perfect MMO, where anything is possible, what would you have in it?

I'm thinking;

RPGWO does have levels, but the player's skills determine more than the levels do. Other than that, yes to all counts. It's not all that fun if you don't have a group to play with, though.

Oh yeah. It's also butt-ugly.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2009, 09:46:54 pm by Mephisto »

Hawkfrost

• Bay Watcher
  • It's way too late to stop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2009, 09:48:41 pm »

That sounds pretty much exactly like DarkFall.

Vactor

• Bay Watcher
  • ^^ DF 1.0 ^^
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2009, 09:52:27 pm »

a lot of the stuff mentioned so far is very reminiscent of Star Wars Galaxies (pre jump to lightspeed)  To this day it has been the best crafting/resource system i've seen in a game.  Unfortunately their combat was largely broken, and they lost sight of their game, caving to the cries for jedi unlocks for everyone. 

Their quest system was also quite underpowered, with players picking up quests to kill a random spawn of X, riding 1-2km out of town to kill it, rinse and repeat.  One of the drawbacks of having a world that is large enough to have wilderness is the lack of content that players have come to expect from an mmo.  SWG had large planets that had endless tracts of random animal spawns.  Lots of room to build player cities, but also quite boring to run across.
Wreck of Theseus: My 2D Roguelite Mech Platformer
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=141525.0

My AT-ST spore creature http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0btwvL9CNlA

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2009, 10:05:03 pm »

See above, plus more realistic combat.
Usually sword combat would be "Press left mouse button to attack." Maybe a mouse based system like "Press left mouse button and move mouse upward or downward for a vertical slash."
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10