Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: My First Stupid Dwarf Thing  (Read 1519 times)

Heliomance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
My First Stupid Dwarf Thing
« on: June 20, 2009, 05:17:43 pm »

My fortress is getting along nicely now, got everything set up as I like it, and I'm considering embarking on a Stupid Dwarf Thing. My first thought was to keep it simple and designate half a ton of engravers, then smooth and engrave the entire exterior of the mountain I'm on. Other suggestions for a first project welcome!

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
Re: My First Stupid Dwarf Thing
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2009, 05:20:25 pm »

How tall is your mountain?
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Efun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2009, 06:11:24 pm »

Make a Trader Kill box... those are quite fun...
Military dorfs are the busiest if their partner is also in the military, Military children are my forts future, also its hilariously tragic when a mother carrying her child into battle gets hit, and the baby dies....
I fixed that up for you.

Heliomance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2009, 06:48:52 pm »

But I like my traders... they bring me shiny things...

Efun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2009, 06:51:25 pm »

Fine, Make it an Elf Killing box, same thing.. :P
Military dorfs are the busiest if their partner is also in the military, Military children are my forts future, also its hilariously tragic when a mother carrying her child into battle gets hit, and the baby dies....
I fixed that up for you.

Heliomance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2009, 07:01:41 pm »

As for the mountain, it's 7 z levels high at the tallest point, and covers a good two thirds to three quarters of the map. I think I went with a 6x6 embark; there's a lot of mountain.

Efun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2009, 07:39:30 pm »

Carve out a fortress right underneath the mountains skin... then get rid of the last layer, revealing your immense fortifications and ballista crews, bonus points if you make it all collapse epicly not killing a single dwarf DURING a siege
I fixed that up for you.

echo78

• Bay Watcher
  • You cant see me because Im lurking
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2009, 08:50:01 pm »

Make a kitten blender.....You know you want to. ;)
[FOR RENT]

Heliomance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2009, 09:02:54 pm »

Would be quite interesting, aye... trouble with that is I've been far too efficient with slaughter orders thus far to have enough kittens around. Maybe once my computerised entrance defense system is up and running - just need to hook up some more mechanisms, shouldn't be too long - I'll start actively trying to cause a catsplosion.

warlordzephyr

• Bay Watcher
  • Keeping dwarves in booze since 2008 (40d)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2009, 07:45:00 am »

you could set up loads of cat cages on the walls to the entrance, link them to levers then once a siege comes along, BOOM! catsplosion and they all get distracted trying to kill the cats so you can slaughter them with one dwarf.
I just made all my dorfs proficient Biters, liars, and went from there.
"Did you eat Urist?"
"Pshht, of course not!"shifty eyes

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2009, 05:09:12 pm »

you could set up loads of cat cages on the walls to the entrance, link them to levers then once a siege comes along, BOOM! catsplosion and they all get distracted trying to kill the cats so you can slaughter them with one dwarf.
its a kitten powered defence shield! stop all those nasty bolts from killing your archers just flood their spot with cats!
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

Efun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2009, 06:50:01 pm »

its a kitten powered defence shield! stop all those nasty bolts from killing your archers just flood their spot with cats!

God that would solve so many problems... Dwarves getting shot being #1 and kittens clogging my cpu with pathing is #2, Boredom is a close 3rd 
I fixed that up for you.