Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Bedrooms: Optional?  (Read 1683 times)

Foxbyte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Bedrooms: Optional?
« on: June 20, 2009, 02:25:23 pm »

I was curious if, for some professions, they would be better off without having assigned bedrooms. Miners come immediately to mind; for far-off mining projects, just slap down a small dining room and food/booze storage, and a small line of beds lining the latest shaft.

Considering the rest of the fortress [Current population locked at 35] lives in grand three story apartment buildings carved from the heart of a mountain, soon to include their own private workshop(s) and indoor plumbing it feels like a huge disparaging between social castes.

So, Miner, Hunter [Build little underground 'hunting shacks'?]... Anyone else better off without a place to call home?
There is an engraving of three dwarves in a dining room. The third dwarf is a soaper.

Efun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Bedrooms: Optional?
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2009, 02:42:23 pm »

Dwarves dont NEED beds, but it helps in tantrum spiral resistance, So if you have a major kick ass dining room and great food and nice little objects all around that they can appreciate, they dont care about beds...

Dwarves had ADD:

"Man, i wish i had a be..... Ooooooh!!! Shiny Statue!"
Military dorfs are the busiest if their partner is also in the military, Military children are my forts future, also its hilariously tragic when a mother carrying her child into battle gets hit, and the baby dies....
I fixed that up for you.

Lehmusjoki

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2009, 02:47:58 pm »

I think it's an excellent idea, until you have a population of 200+ to look after. Micromanagement will take ages then. Yeah, I know it's actually quite simple and easy, but I happen to be a bit lazy on such matters.

Foxbyte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2009, 03:13:38 pm »

Dwarves dont NEED beds, but it helps in tantrum spiral resistance, So if you have a major kick ass dining room and great food and nice little objects all around that they can appreciate, they dont care about beds...

Dwarves had ADD:

"Man, i wish i had a be..... Ooooooh!!! Shiny Statue!"

I think it's an excellent idea, until you have a population of 200+ to look after. Micromanagement will take ages then. Yeah, I know it's actually quite simple and easy, but I happen to be a bit lazy on such matters.

My worry is later on when their clothes are rotting off... Don't they need their own bedroom so I can give them cabinets and the like for storage? Or can you make bedrooms without beds simply for item storage?
There is an engraving of three dwarves in a dining room. The third dwarf is a soaper.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2009, 03:22:32 pm »

Related question: If my dwarves' clothes are rotting, will they automatically take some of the nice new ones I made from leather/ cloth which I... um... found (on the smashed bodies of dead elves).

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2009, 03:35:49 pm »

I dunno about the clothes, but in response to a segment from the first post, don't worry about having rooms for your hunters, they'll always sleep on the ground anyway, I think.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Foxbyte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2009, 03:47:20 pm »

I dunno about the clothes, but in response to a segment from the first post, don't worry about having rooms for your hunters, they'll always sleep on the ground anyway, I think.

Are the hunters going to get just as uppity as the weavers? They -hate- going out for cave spider silk. Accosted by vermin, irritated by the sun, annoyed by flies. I swear the front entrance having two masterwork doors is the only thing preventing me from tantrum-spiraling. c_c

sev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • my blog
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2009, 03:53:34 pm »

My worry is later on when their clothes are rotting off... Don't they need their own bedroom so I can give them cabinets and the like for storage? Or can you make bedrooms without beds simply for item storage?

You can't make bedrooms without beds.  If they've got a tomb, they'll store clothes in there (with or without a cabinet).

Gergination

• Bay Watcher
  • The world is on fire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2009, 04:26:21 pm »

Don't make clothing.  Dwarves only get a bad thought from it rotting off.  Afterwards, they're ok with being stark naked.  This helps prevent item clutter and having hundreds and hundreds of articles of clothing you can't use.
With [SLOW_LEARNER], dwarves probably don't sit around and talk anymore. They just stand in the same corner altogether, staring at each other, sticking their bearded lips out trying to make sounds. And giggling when someone actually says a whole word.

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2009, 04:39:56 pm »

Instead of worrying about bedrooms, turn out masterwork lavish meals and put really high quality doors, statues about, etc. I went something like 15 years in Moruls fort before anyone had an actual bedroom and everyone was ecstatic all the time.

Efun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2009, 06:09:03 pm »

Instead of worrying about bedrooms, turn out masterwork lavish meals and put really high quality doors, statues about, etc. I went something like 15 years in Moruls fort before anyone had an actual bedroom and everyone was ecstatic all the time.

Thats why we play Dwarf Fort not Pansy Fort, Dwarves only need food and stone.... sure beer helps but they don't NEED it... I'm pretty sure stone counts as a Dwarven Delicacy as well....
Military dorfs are the busiest if their partner is also in the military, Military children are my forts future, also its hilariously tragic when a mother carrying her child into battle gets hit, and the baby dies....
I fixed that up for you.

ChazzyBurger

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist cancels return kill:Interrupted by zombie
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2009, 05:55:12 am »

Thats why we play Dwarf Fort not Pansy Fort, Dwarves only need food and stone.... sure beer helps but they don't NEED it... I'm pretty sure stone counts as a Dwarven Delicacy as well....

They don't NEED food, the ones that starve will be eaten by those who are starving!

Thus, dwarves only need STONE!
Perpeptual Motion Machines

Dwarf Fortress' way of saying "Up Yours!" to physics

DennyTom

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Urist!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2009, 06:23:38 am »

What dwarf really needs:

a) to breath air (or at least NOT breath water/magma/stone)
b) to eat food vermin
c) to drink booze water from stream or pool
d) to poop
e) to sleep in bed anywhere
It is so much easier to measure life in experience points...

IHateOutside

• Bay Watcher
  • Fire safety is for wimps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2009, 06:57:34 am »

What dwarf really needs:

b) to eat food vermin
c) to drink booze water from stream or pool to be horribly killed by carp
d) to poop
fixed it for you  ;D

ChazzyBurger

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist cancels return kill:Interrupted by zombie
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2009, 08:05:01 am »

What dwarf really needs:

b) to eat food vermin
c) to drink booze water from stream or pool a haunted ocean
d) to poop

Fixed Better :D
Perpeptual Motion Machines

Dwarf Fortress' way of saying "Up Yours!" to physics
Pages: [1] 2