Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Wanted MOD's!  (Read 1238 times)

waldoknoesen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Wanted MOD's!
« on: June 20, 2009, 09:43:37 am »

Give suggestions to the modders out there! They need some practice! ;D
Waldo having a rampage @ goblin site

waldoknoesen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Siege control
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2009, 09:48:26 am »

I would like to see a more advanced diplomatic screen "thing". Abilities like one-click invasions from enemies, and ability to choose aggresion towards surrounding nations. That would be fun to have, like testing your military...
Waldo having a rampage @ goblin site

Bacillus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Wanted MOD's!
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2009, 09:53:42 am »

A fun way to deal with a catsplosion? I'd be flinging them off the roof of my tower if the damn owners would let me!

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2009, 10:08:09 am »

The ability for your dwarfs to challenge orc's to a break dancing contest. Loser gives up their arms.
my champion is now holding his artifact crossbow by his upper left leg and still shooting with is just fine despite having no hands.
What? He's firing from the hip.

Leartes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2009, 11:07:21 am »

I don't get at all what the answers so far have to do with the topic!

For mods:
I'd like complete remade stone/soil/metal/gem raws with possibly more alloys (research needed) and possibly more metals (no fantasy metals - they can be added seperatly). In this would go a new steel making process closer to the real historic one (first product was brittle not the second, also bronze was on par with pure iron). Add realistic temperatures and better values to it so that real value comes from finite ressourcen like metals and gems and not from food.
Some mods include similar features but I wish for a version that works on its own - like molten rocks with value and occurance changes... Maybe I ll do something like that myself one day, but I m not experienced enough with the economy and stuff to guess good values.

Another great thing would be remade plants and wood. Idealy you would add values to wood, it didnt work last time I tried but maybe I just messed up. Add more plants, decrease clustersize to make farming less effectiv and decrease its value generation. Also someone should change the names of the booze so that other civs dont brew dwarfen ale all the time.... Again I have so specific ideas about that, I should do it myself. Still I am unexperienced and something like that that is preferably done by experienced modders so that everyone who starts out modding his game can patch up those areas seperatly and hasn't to rely on a large mod changing everything else as well (civs and creatures etc.)

Krisnack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2009, 12:14:56 pm »

The Great War

• All armor is removed except for headwear and leather boots.
  • Crossbows and bows are converted to rifles and pistols.
  • Ballistae and catapults are replaced with machine guns and artillery, the latter of which fire exploding/poison gas shells (are siege engines hard-coded?). Shells are constructed using explosives (or gas) and metal bars.
  • Garments can be dyed green, tan, gray, or brown.
  • Land mines replace traps. They require explosives and a mechanism. After being triggered, the explosives must be replaced.
  • The Alchemist's laboratory is replaced by the Munitions Factory, which creates explosives from potash.
  • Flamethrowers. Not sure how easy they would be able to mod, if at all.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2009, 12:20:27 pm »

For mods:
I'd like complete remade stone/soil/metal/gem raws with possibly more alloys (research needed) and possibly more metals (no fantasy metals - they can be added seperatly). In this would go a new steel making process closer to the real historic one (first product was brittle not the second, also bronze was on par with pure iron).

The first product IS the brittle one in DF: Pig iron.

Also, there aren't really any real-world metals I can think of that dwarves have the technology to handle. Well, except mercury, but obviously you can't treat that as a metal.

There might be a few alloys, though. White gold (using nickel and gold) is certainly feasible, I'd think.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Leartes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2009, 01:23:47 pm »

The first product IS the brittle one in DF: Pig iron.

Well no, in DF it is ore -> iron -> pig iron (using flux) -> steel, in reality it is ore -> pig iron (using flux) -> wrought iron (what we know as ingame iron, using charcoal) -> steel / maybe other steel like stainless steel.
To circumvent the flux there could be meteroic iron. This type is much more pure and was used very early to produce iron items long before the other stuff.
Maybe steel seems to be a bit too easy to get after wrought iron but this is the "usual" procedure as far as I know.

Your right there is mercury, I bet it will be included as soon as the alchemists workshops gets useful - at least I will mod it in there ;D
For alloys I am not sure either if there are many more missing but the tendency should be to make metal artworks more useful. At the moment you can get as much value as you want out of either food or stone. Often I don't even start working on the valuable metals because they are finite while stone is not (at least in practice).

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2009, 02:08:22 pm »

For metals, you could always use Impaler's Metals.
I don't think it's in this forum, but you can find it on the DFFD.
Only problem is, it makes iron less valuable, so you lose 500 points by selling an anvil.
It also adds glass as a more usable "metal" material.

For plants, try Boksi's Plant Mod.
I haven't tried it out, but it adds more variety and, I think, makes farming harder.
It also adds seasons to above-ground plants and makes underground plants year-round.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2009, 02:17:48 pm »

I personally do feel that iron and steel are too valuable in game.

Iron is as valuable as silver, which seems a little odd at least (although I might be historically wrong here), and while I can see steel being as valuable as gold to races who can't produce it, to a dwarf it should be more mundane, probably.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

The13thRonin

• Bay Watcher
  • Profession: Handsome Rogue
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2009, 08:54:52 pm »

For mods:
I'd like complete remade stone/soil/metal/gem raws with possibly more alloys (research needed) and possibly more metals (no fantasy metals - they can be added seperatly). In this would go a new steel making process closer to the real historic one (first product was brittle not the second, also bronze was on par with pure iron). Add realistic temperatures and better values to it so that real value comes from finite ressourcen like metals and gems and not from food.
Some mods include similar features but I wish for a version that works on its own - like molten rocks with value and occurance changes... Maybe I ll do something like that myself one day, but I m not experienced enough with the economy and stuff to guess good values.

Another great thing would be remade plants and wood. Idealy you would add values to wood, it didnt work last time I tried but maybe I just messed up. Add more plants, decrease clustersize to make farming less effectiv and decrease its value generation. Also someone should change the names of the booze so that other civs dont brew dwarfen ale all the time.... Again I have so specific ideas about that, I should do it myself. Still I am unexperienced and something like that that is preferably done by experienced modders so that everyone who starts out modding his game can patch up those areas seperatly and hasn't to rely on a large mod changing everything else as well (civs and creatures etc.)

You should try Dig Deeper: http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=35736.0

I would like to see a more advanced diplomatic screen "thing". Abilities like one-click invasions from enemies, and ability to choose aggresion towards surrounding nations. That would be fun to have, like testing your military...

Hard-coded. Modders can't touch a lot of game elements, especially diplomacy yet. Even if we could that sounds like an exceedingly difficult thing to code.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2009, 08:56:37 pm by The13thRonin »
I'm Digging Deeper... AGAIN... You Should Too!

Dig Deeper DIAMOND - 750+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.

chinkeeyong

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2009, 01:53:31 am »

The language files need a hell of a lot of work.

Apart from that, someone needs to mod in the Flying Spaghetti Monster as a megabeast.
Embrace imagination
Steam Machine: DF steampunk mod