Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: River of Blood!  (Read 1110 times)

Village_Idiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
River of Blood!
« on: June 20, 2009, 09:16:57 am »

I just generated a world with extremely high tempreatue settings, (on certain locations the ocean spontaniously evaporates and dwarfes catch fire) and wanted to see a river evaporate, hwta i got was however much better!

It's a hot location, but the water doesn't evaporate and graas doesn't catch fire.

The river itself however, is amazing. it's a full 49 water tiles across, and has a 4-z level waterfall in it!
The best part is still coming, it's got a huge waterfall and loads of fish, some of the fish fall over the edge of the waterfall, landing severly wounded or dead, causing the river to  turn blood-red! with some smart construction you could perhaps catch the carp falling down, let them bleed to dead, and then make stuff from their bones and skin.

And it would also be an easy aquarium, just situate cage traps 1 z-levelunder the waterfall!

Already about 15 fish have "jumped" and their corpses been pushed to the end of the river by current, but about 50 fish still remain.

Screenshots:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 20, 2009, 09:39:55 am by Village_Idiot »

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
Re: River of Blood!
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2009, 11:48:53 am »

Nice.  Now start throwing gobbos in.

Ironhand

• Bay Watcher
  • the llama is laughing
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2009, 02:57:07 pm »

Freaking AWESOME.
This is way better than my waterfall.

Rakeela

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2009, 06:26:03 am »

Wow!  I've never ended up with a river that broad.  Or a waterfall, for that matter.  What'm I doing wrong?
Let him who hath understanding reckon the number of the blood god, for it is a dwarven number.  It's number is five-hundred and eighty nine.
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=53222.0

Byakugan01

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2009, 06:46:26 am »

He has a waterfall on a major river. That's why it's so broad.
From Mr. Welch's 1350 things he is not allowed to do in a RPG:
148. There is no Gnomish Deathgrip, and even if there was, it wouldn't involve tongs.
171. My character's dying words are not allowed to be "Hastur, Hastur, Hastur"
218. No matter my alignment, organizing halfling pit fights is a violation.
231. I am not allowed to do anything that would make a Sith Lord cry.
240. Any character with more than three skills specializing in chainsaw is vetoed.

Village_Idiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2009, 08:02:13 am »

It was an accident, I used one of my default sets of parameters and set the temperature at 1000 and volcanism at a minimum of 30.  I also tweaked the elevation and number of oceans/rivers.

I also found very nice embark on this world in which in the very first step the entire ocean EVAPORATED and my dwarfs instantly catched fire, I managed to dig a hole and save a single dwarf, he had yellow, red and brown wound over his whole body though. He healed a fair amount of them but the brown wounds to his lungs heart brains and various other internal organs paired with broken legs and feet made him unable to move, so he died from thirst soon after.

Evil One

• Bay Watcher
  • [Champion Elfslayer]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2009, 10:16:02 am »

Important Note: Never try setting both the minimun & maximum temperatures to 1000... EVERYTHING CATCHES FIRE!!!!
Dwarf!  Indeed, a devious delight fond of drink and industry deceived as both do-gooder and devil by the delusions of deities.  This demander, no daft demeanor, is a driving force of the deadly diocese, now disappointed, delirious from goblin deception.  However, this delicious derangement of a demolished diamond stands determined!

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2009, 11:14:17 am »

Important Note: Never try setting both the minimun & maximum temperatures to 1000... EVERYTHING CATCHES FIRE!!!!
Wouldn't 1000 be unbelievably cold (ie below absolute zero) on dwarf scale?

Tenebrais

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2009, 11:15:29 am »

Wouldn't 1000 be unbelievably cold (ie below absolute zero) on dwarf scale?

Worldgen uses a different scale. The standard is 25-75, and it can go into negative numbers. The game only expects values between 0 and 100 - well, that's what the weighted ranges allow.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2009, 11:17:33 am by Tenebrais »

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2009, 11:16:40 am »

Oh yeah, I remember now :P

kotekzot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2009, 12:16:02 pm »

an idea for collecting dead carp:
build a stone walkway some tiles away from the waterfall. build a wall on the side that is further from the waterfall. build a bridge that will catch the flying fish (it must touch the wall of the waterfall). water will start splashing out from the sides but your wall will keep the dwarves from being swept away by it. then do it all over on the next z-level. then all you have to do is raise the top bridge to catch the fish, then lower it so you can reclaim their corpses.

Code: [Select]
WFBBBBA
WFBBBBA
WFBBBBA
WFBBBBA
WFBBBBA
WFBBBBA

W - wall
F - floor
B - bridge
A - waterfall
Dwarf Fortress: Where violent death is a renewable resource
Bro, your like... thinking like a square man... its like, the WHOLE lamprey is just like, one big NECK dude, you know? its like hahahaha! dude protect the trees though, seriously. *inhale*... anyways... you like, want this dead black bear, bro?

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2009, 09:07:34 pm »

Worldgen uses a different scale. The standard is 25-75, and it can go into negative numbers. The game only expects values between 0 and 100 - well, that's what the weighted ranges allow.
The weighted ranges are percentage-based. Otherwise, the elevation ranges wouldn't have any use beyond sculpting the sea bed. :)
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.