Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: HAZE  (Read 2476 times)

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
HAZE
« on: June 20, 2009, 08:26:23 am »

A little known game PS3, the last game made by the makers of Timesplitters before they went bankrupt.  Something of a pitiful end really.  It was pretty much a clone of Halo but without any interesting weapons or enemies.  Sure there were a few things like Nectar making your enemies glow, or being able to plant mines as a rebel, but overall it couldn't shake the feeling of genericness.  The only reason I'm even mentioning it is because of a single point it brought up perhaps even unintentionally that has often bothered me about video games.  Massive amounts of highly unrealistic violence.  When you play start out playing as a Mantel Corporation trooper everything seems neat and clean, there's no blood, and bodies vanish as soon as they hit the ground.  Of course having played lots of games, I didn't think anything of it.  That was until the scene where you come into contact with an dying Mantel trooper in the wreckage of an aircraft transporting Nector, the drug that gives you the ability to make enemies glow orange and all that weird stuff.  He has a long drawn out death scene as he moans in agony and finally dies, and the main character returns to his companions acting all shocked and stuff, not because of the way he acted, but because he didn't look injured.  There was no blood on him or anything.  Something I of course brushed off after a few sarcastic thoughts, because this was a video game.  Later on your Nector supply apparently starts to spazz out at times, causing you to see massive amounts of blood everywhere including your hands, and corpses.  Course it looses some of the effect when you already know that you're eventualy going to defect and all that, and it ends up going of on a different and far less interesting direction, but that small part of the game really made me think about the constant unrealistic depiction of violence in video games.  In most every game, bullets tear through hundreds of human beings, dropping them to the ground in a heap, instantly dead.  Older games of course had death animations but those were generally in the same style as the ragdolls of today.  It was after all a "Death Animation" not a wounding animation.  Of course Toady's games are a bit more realistic.  In DF characters will usually pass out and bleed to death and are usually only killed instantly by decapitation, or less realistically loosing the lower half of their body.  In LCS we should all know, there are several rather painful descriptions of characters slowly dying.

Now I'm not trying to suggest that all games should have realistic depictions of the consequences of violence, though it'd be nice if there was even one game like that out there as long as that wasn't the only point of the game.  My main point in this post is really just that I find it rather disturbing how we pretty much just accept all this unrealistic yet gruesome violence without ever thinking about how unrealistic it is.  I dunno, maybe I just think too much.  You may now commense with ignoring my gigantic boring post.
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: HAZE
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2009, 09:09:18 am »

Hey, you don't have to ignore me.  You can at least say you read it and found it boring!

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2009, 09:24:32 am »

҉̵̞̟̠̖̗̘̙̜̝̞̟̠͇̊̋̌̍̎̏̐̑̒̓̔̊̋̌̍̎̏̐̑̒̚̕̚҉Z ҉̵̞̟̠̖̗̘̙̜̝̞̟̠͇̊̋̌̍̎̏̐̑̒̓̔̊̋̌̍̎̏̐̑̒̚̕̚҉ ̌̍̎̏̐̑̒̓̔̊̋̌̍̎̏̐̑̒̓̔̿̿̿̚̕̕̚̕̚͡ ALGO
H҉̵̞̟̠̖̗̘Ȅ̐̑̒̚̕̚ IS C̒̓̔̿̿̿̕̚̚̕̚̕̚̕̚̕̚̕̚OMI҉̵̞̟̠̖̗̘NG > ͡҉҉ ̵̡̢̛̗̘̙̜̝̞̟̠͇̊̋̌̍̎̏̿̿̿̚ ҉ ҉҉̡̢̡̢̛̛̖̗̘̙̜̝̞̟̠̖̗̘̙̜̝̞̟̠̊̋̌̍̎̏̐̑̒̓̔̊̋̌̍̎̏̐̑ ͡҉҉
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2009, 09:28:52 am »

Huh?  Who's that and why does it matter?

Zironic

• Bay Watcher
  • [SDRAW_KCAB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2009, 11:56:54 am »

It's he who sings the song that ends the earth....

Oh yeah, I think you make a great point about ingame violence.

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2009, 12:12:16 pm »

This community is totally normal!

Anywho I was smart enough not to buy it, or dumb enough to be persuaded by the jungle scenario not to buy it. One of those.

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2009, 12:18:25 pm »

Eh, it was fifteen dollars new, I bought it so I'd have a two player game for the PS3 I was buying.  Then when i got home I realized I hadn't bought a second controller.  It was worth fifteen dollars.  Co-Op makes it allot more enjoyable, and now I can get over the fact that I have no console gaming friends nearby thanks to this awesome next gen technology called "online"!  It's got four player online co op which isn't too bad.  And also proves that Microsoft was once again full of shit when they said it couldn't be done for Halo PC... not that we didn't already know that.  Or was that Gearbox?  Well MS is still full of shit.  You hear about Bungie's new game?  It's a Halo game for X-box 360...
« Last Edit: June 20, 2009, 12:21:41 pm by Ioric Kittencuddler »

Zironic

• Bay Watcher
  • [SDRAW_KCAB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2009, 04:11:31 pm »

What>

There already is a halo game for Xbox 360

Jakkarra

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2009, 04:16:24 pm »

theres at least one or two new ones coming out.

also, theres TWO halo games on the Xbox-360 right now.

halo wars, and halo classic.

Broose

• Bay Watcher
  • Pilfering Gatorhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2009, 04:21:43 pm »

I think one of the main barriers of getting realistic deaths is Health Points. They are unrealistic, and simple, but are still being used in modern games. Some new shooters have made more "realistic" ways of taking damage (basically, if you are shot once a minute for one hour, you will survive.) If developers could stop using HP, and move on to damage on certain parts of the body instead, we could have realistic, fun deaths. But I'm not sure when/if that will happen.

Jakkarra

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2009, 04:41:21 pm »

a couple of games do use an embryonic version of that, its no-where near good enough to be considered realistic however.

Volfram

• Bay Watcher
  • hate you all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2009, 09:07:21 pm »

This all reminds me.  Square-Enix needs to make Bushido Blade 3.

It would be a bloody mess, but it would also be awesome.
Andir and Roxorius "should" die.

Yes, actually, I am trying to get myself banned.  I wish Toady would quit working on this worthless piece of junk and go back to teaching math.

A_Fey_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2009, 09:19:30 pm »

A bit off topic, but apparently Free Radical, the company that made this game and Timesplitters series was bought out by Crytek. I hope they get to finish Timesplitters 4, I really loved that series. Fun fact, the guys at Free Radical were part of the team that developed GoldenEye 007. I expected Haze to be good, but was really sad when it turned out to be another Halo clone.

Jakkarra

« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2009, 09:26:57 pm »

its also a PS3 exclusive, which has a large amount of pure, distilled Suck embedded right there.

except LittleBig Planet, THAT looks fun.

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2009, 12:13:12 am »

its also a PS3 exclusive, which has a large amount of pure, distilled Suck embedded right there.

except LittleBig Planet, THAT looks fun.

That makes as much sense as saying that all system exclusives automatically suck... Which as any PC gamer can tell you is pure unfiltered 100% grade A bullshit.  Is it even worth trying to argue with you?

Pages: [1] 2 3