Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: War vs ----  (Read 1171 times)

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
War vs ----
« on: June 20, 2009, 04:30:30 am »

I just started a new game and I note that one group is at War rather than just -------- what is the difference?

I get sieges when it's on ----- already so what can I expect to be different this game?
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Phazer

• Bay Watcher
  • This song is creepy.
    • View Profile
Re: War vs ----
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2009, 05:15:06 am »

--------=Partialy at war

EDIT: Some Goblin civs are friendly towards you but most are at war with you. and if it sais WAR i think all civs are at war with you.
Dragon: My plan is foolproof! Those foolish dwarves cannot resist walking near lava! If I hop in, then they won't know what hit them! I'll just- AH! OH GOD! I WASTED MY LIFE!

Rhenaya

• Bay Watcher
  • Usstan tlun natha hargluk ssinssriggin ilythiiri!
    • View Profile
    • X-Fire Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2009, 12:14:15 pm »

civs of evil creatures dont get any diplomatic status, they are ------ for all, even other evil civs. while on evil and good civs got peace and war. sometimes you can have an evil civ at war too, this happens if their citys are close to your mountainhomes and the good civ(dwarfs in vanilla case) started to invade the evil ones (so the "good" ones declared war)
User Profile: http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/User:Rhenaya
Mods: http://dffd.wimbli.com/who.php?id=554

From "Angroshs Kinder" Das schwarze Auge Zwergenhandbuch - (Angrosh Children, the dark eye, german pen&paper, dwarven handbook):
"Elves!? Their men dont wear beards, and their women bathe nacked to lure you into the water and drown you. Thank Angrosh they are as ugly as the day and all big and skinny."

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2009, 12:22:13 pm »

---- means they don't like you at all.  Expect ambushes and the occasional siege.

"War" just means you get more of the same.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2009, 03:19:58 pm »

The ---- is a Toady hack to keep the game interesting until more diplomacy gets put in.

It forces all babysnatching civs to be hostile towards all non-babysnatching civs, I think.

I have no idea if there's a difference in the aggressiveness or the intensity of the raids and sieges between ---- and "war."

I see it as none of the goblin empires are at war with you, but you'll still get raided and sieged by "rogue" goblins from the general direction of the nearest tower.

And Phazer, even if you have "war," that just means there's an official war between your Dwarven civ and one of the Goblin civs, not all of them. You can usually see this by scrolling around the embark screen, or from Legends.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2009, 03:32:44 pm by Untelligent »
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

blue emu

• Bay Watcher
  • GroFAZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2009, 09:47:30 pm »

I started my current game at WAR with the Elves. I guess I'll have to kill them all. Oh, wait... I do that anyway.
Never pet a burning dog.

Efun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2009, 10:05:48 pm »

I started my current game at WAR with the Elves. I guess I'll have to kill them all. Oh, wait... I do that anyway.

Lucky Bastard...
Military dorfs are the busiest if their partner is also in the military, Military children are my forts future, also its hilariously tragic when a mother carrying her child into battle gets hit, and the baby dies....
I fixed that up for you.

Rhenaya

• Bay Watcher
  • Usstan tlun natha hargluk ssinssriggin ilythiiri!
    • View Profile
    • X-Fire Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2009, 06:24:19 pm »

http://shintig.wordpress.com war with elves on embark and sieges since year 2

but i am quite sure the ----- is from evil civs and not babysnatching, as my orcs i made dont got babysnatching but they are evil, also kobolds are only evil and no snatchers
User Profile: http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/User:Rhenaya
Mods: http://dffd.wimbli.com/who.php?id=554

From "Angroshs Kinder" Das schwarze Auge Zwergenhandbuch - (Angrosh Children, the dark eye, german pen&paper, dwarven handbook):
"Elves!? Their men dont wear beards, and their women bathe nacked to lure you into the water and drown you. Thank Angrosh they are as ugly as the day and all big and skinny."