Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Breeding Orcs  (Read 1826 times)

Efun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Breeding Orcs
« on: June 19, 2009, 11:08:28 pm »

Im pretty sure it is nigh impossible for me to breed invaders, correct?

I've seen stuff about people doing it with just plain animals but i believe even Orcs are better than normal animals. So is it impossible and just some sick dream of mine to have a sacrifice making machine in my base, or could it work?
Military dorfs are the busiest if their partner is also in the military, Military children are my forts future, also its hilariously tragic when a mother carrying her child into battle gets hit, and the baby dies....
I fixed that up for you.

Gergination

• Bay Watcher
  • The world is on fire
    • View Profile
Re: Breeding Orcs
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2009, 12:15:43 am »

As I understand it, only tameable animals will actually breed.  This doesn't rule out the possibility of a sacrificial machine though.  Just drop the kittens far enough and traps will activate on them or they will explode in cuddly wuddly chunks. 

Hell, just go all out and drop them so far they spontaneously combust from air friction and then explode from the impact.

God I wish that could happen.  Kitten Meteors would be the ultimate in dwarven defense.
With [SLOW_LEARNER], dwarves probably don't sit around and talk anymore. They just stand in the same corner altogether, staring at each other, sticking their bearded lips out trying to make sounds. And giggling when someone actually says a whole word.

Efun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2009, 12:19:34 am »

As I understand it, only tameable animals will actually breed.  This doesn't rule out the possibility of a sacrificial machine though.  Just drop the kittens far enough and traps will activate on them or they will explode in cuddly wuddly chunks. 

Hell, just go all out and drop them so far they spontaneously combust from air friction and then explode from the impact.

God I wish that could happen.  Kitten Meteors would be the ultimate in dwarven defense.

We could test how much air resistance a dwarf has depending on where it ignited in the drop area, we will use the measurement of Kittens, 1 Kitten is the distance it takes for a kitten to ignite on its path to become goo...

My good man we've created a new science!!
Military dorfs are the busiest if their partner is also in the military, Military children are my forts future, also its hilariously tragic when a mother carrying her child into battle gets hit, and the baby dies....
I fixed that up for you.

Gergination

• Bay Watcher
  • The world is on fire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2009, 12:21:40 am »

By this measurement I'm thinking a Three Kitten fall should be sufficient for your sacrificial purposes.
With [SLOW_LEARNER], dwarves probably don't sit around and talk anymore. They just stand in the same corner altogether, staring at each other, sticking their bearded lips out trying to make sounds. And giggling when someone actually says a whole word.

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2009, 02:18:50 am »

I'm pretty sure the laws of physics don't work like that. Wait, "physics" isn't in the Dwarven language file... nevermind then

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2009, 03:44:22 am »

By this measurement I'm thinking a Three Kitten fall should be sufficient for your sacrificial purposes.
hmm, I looked over the calculations and I believe you are wrong and it is in fact 3.14 kittens
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

Gergination

• Bay Watcher
  • The world is on fire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2009, 03:47:38 am »

hmm, I looked over the calculations and I believe you are wrong and it is in fact 3.14 kittens

I think you over calculated, a Pi Kitten fall would give us kitten pie.

Mmm, kitten pie...

Efun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2009, 02:43:31 pm »

Wait... I didnt know we had a kitchen at the bottom of this drop zone!!!
I fixed that up for you.

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2009, 02:51:58 pm »

Actually, I tested this when I was running Hateslaughter and put Dwarfs, Humans and Elves as [Petvalue: 200].

One of the captured invaders gave birth and the human baby registered as a pet.

Tip, though:  Either leave it with the mother or cage it.  The human baby got thirsty and I don't know if it would have died of dehydration, but after separating it from and killing the mother (largely by accident) it went and threw itself down a well.

So much for the human slave-breeding program.
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2009, 05:48:36 pm »

I think everything with intelligence gets thirsty after you tame it caged or not. Lost a couple of megabeasts  because they were thirsty.
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2009, 05:54:59 pm »

I actually left the [PETVALUE:200] token on when I went to play Dwarf Fortress (as opposed to Goblin Dark Fortress) later, which had no effect until the Dungeon Master arrived... and I had the option of Butchering him come up in place of 'ponders fell beasts and treasure'.

I have no idea if that works for all immigrant nobles, but if it does we may have just found a new and interesting method of disposing of the nobility.
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

Byakugan01

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2009, 07:04:07 pm »

"Downermurdered", I can see it now. Where the king sends insolent nobles off to with a smile...as he eats the *mysterious meat* roast he had brought back from the fort. Get a baron, and report back to us if the baroness, tax collector, and consort can all be improved with the addition of a little spice.
From Mr. Welch's 1350 things he is not allowed to do in a RPG:
148. There is no Gnomish Deathgrip, and even if there was, it wouldn't involve tongs.
171. My character's dying words are not allowed to be "Hastur, Hastur, Hastur"
218. No matter my alignment, organizing halfling pit fights is a violation.
231. I am not allowed to do anything that would make a Sith Lord cry.
240. Any character with more than three skills specializing in chainsaw is vetoed.

irdsm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2009, 07:49:41 pm »

I don't know how much bearing this has on this discussion, but I've just noticed that my violet xelics (from the civ forge mod) just gave birth in a cage. They appear on the "tame large animal" menu in the workshop.

I'm about to try an experiment, lets see if it works...

irdsm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2009, 08:31:09 pm »

It hadn't occurred to me that taming every single baby was a bad idea. Now they are all thirsty. Until being tamed I doubt they had requirements. HOWEVER, I noticed after building the 3 cages containing violet xelic babies that someone brought water to the cage and then dumped it next to the cage. 1 bucket of water=a stack of 10 stagnant water. This stack of stagnant water was only 3. That means that they gave the baby water!

Also, the babies aren't hostile wen released. (after noticing the water thing I immediately recaged them, however)

warlordzephyr

• Bay Watcher
  • Keeping dwarves in booze since 2008 (40d)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2009, 07:42:22 am »

This is all very interesting, i wonder if you could asign human bodyguards to nobles and such.
I just made all my dorfs proficient Biters, liars, and went from there.
"Did you eat Urist?"
"Pshht, of course not!"shifty eyes
Pages: [1] 2