Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: What's the biggest waterwheel farm you've ever made?  (Read 1841 times)

Foxbyte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's the biggest waterwheel farm you've ever made?
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2009, 02:02:24 pm »

My largest waterwheel farm is 0. Because I like windmills. :(
There is an engraving of three dwarves in a dining room. The third dwarf is a soaper.

loopoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2009, 02:24:45 pm »

Well, right now, the west side of my Fort sits on a brook. Since I don't plan on building anything other than a big tower there (cause the border of the map is about 20 tiles away, and if enemies spawn, it's a good spot to hit em hard), I have already put the blueprints down for a big power station. It has about 9-12 Water Wheels, can't exactly remember. It's going to power a BIG project that is gonna drop water over the entrance of my fort, then recycle it to get a constant water fall going. It is also gonna drop water to a reservoir above my dining room, which then gets depressurized, then recycled to mist the whole place up. That, or I might just use that 1 7/7 tile mist generator thing.

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2009, 03:57:27 pm »

It isn't as efficient as yours (I suppose you're using a giant swimming pool bridged with waterwheels, or something similar?), but it should power itself. The six-waterwheel model I made to test the design powered up as it was being filled, and I see no reason why it wouldn't scale.

Well, you can see it for yourself on DFMA. Just click the link in my sig.

I tapped the underground river, bridged over the pipe where it drops off and dug out a naturalish looking extension into the fort. The water snakes around a maze under the waterwheels and then into the pump stack, so there will be some flow there. There's also two bottomless pipes that run the entire height of the fortress to be used for any kind of dumping which can drain off the water in the maze (one has floodgates on DFMA, I added gates to the other one a year or so later).

There isn't a flow as we would all expect - the river is 5 tiles wide and the pump stack only a single tile, so the water flow is quite mild, but considering you don't need any flow at all, at least it's something.

The water will be pumped up into the ying/yang reservoir at the top of the fortress (magma goes in the other, natch).

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2009, 06:19:55 pm »

Yeah, sorry, I tend to be blind to sigs once I've given them a once-over. Nice setup though.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.
Pages: 1 [2]