Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Fight we did, and we died....  (Read 2612 times)

Efun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Fight we did, and we died....
« on: June 19, 2009, 05:02:38 pm »

I am building my temple to Armok, nearing completion, and im going to get an orc siege soon, i have 3 squards each with 10-12 dwarfs, Hammer, Sword and Spear are the squads. Should i fight the bastards and possibly have a tantrum spiral due to losses or let the cage traps do their job (I remove trapavoid from the raws so i could have a big sacrificing day when the temple is complete) Tell me fight or do the cowardly thing, Its all up to you guys.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2009, 11:36:11 pm by Efun »
Military dorfs are the busiest if their partner is also in the military, Military children are my forts future, also its hilariously tragic when a mother carrying her child into battle gets hit, and the baby dies....
I fixed that up for you.

Byakugan01

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fight or Not to fight
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2009, 05:32:08 pm »

What kind of skills do your dwarves have, specifically in shield using and armor using? BTW, spears aren't overly effective against orcs because dwarves who stick them in tned to just twist, and orcs can't feel pain.
From Mr. Welch's 1350 things he is not allowed to do in a RPG:
148. There is no Gnomish Deathgrip, and even if there was, it wouldn't involve tongs.
171. My character's dying words are not allowed to be "Hastur, Hastur, Hastur"
218. No matter my alignment, organizing halfling pit fights is a violation.
231. I am not allowed to do anything that would make a Sith Lord cry.
240. Any character with more than three skills specializing in chainsaw is vetoed.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2009, 05:33:07 pm »

Your dwarves should probably take up crossbows and strategicly placed fortifications if you really want to take on the orcs with a military.

Simmura McCrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2009, 05:34:33 pm »

Cage them all, then appease Armok with a huge sacrafice.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2009, 05:48:49 pm »

If you're going to take them on in melee, go with axes and swords. Even a creature with no pain receptors isn't going to shrug off an arm severed at the shoulder.

Mostly because they'll have a hard time shrugging without that shoulder, but the blood loss will help too.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2009, 05:52:02 pm »

If you're going to take them on in melee, go with axes and swords. Even a creature with no pain receptors isn't going to shrug off an arm severed at the shoulder.

Mostly because they'll have a hard time shrugging without that shoulder, but the blood loss will help too.
Yep, piercing damage tends to be fatal due to twisting and forcing opponents to give in to pain, but this obviously doesn't work against orcs (since bolts tend to cause death by catastrophic organ destruction this doesn't apply to them).  Clubbing could work, but orcs are bigger than you and won't feel the pain of light clubbing hits.  Goring really wouldn't work since it relies quite heavily on pain.  So yeah, slashing's your best bet.

Efun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2009, 05:56:21 pm »

so 2 outta my 3 squads need to re-train......lol
Military dorfs are the busiest if their partner is also in the military, Military children are my forts future, also its hilariously tragic when a mother carrying her child into battle gets hit, and the baby dies....
I fixed that up for you.

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2009, 06:09:50 pm »

Well, with the right entrance setup, a single marksdwarf can break a 5 squad siege. You might as well *always* prepare for this contingency, even if you choose to never use it.

I agree on the weapons choices above, and skills/armor quality really is important. Another consideration is the terrain. Fighting orcs next to a magma pipe/river/ocean is a very bad idea - their size tends to lead to many dwarves taking baths. Even Morul gets shoved a tile when fighting 2-3 orcs now and then, so I keep him away from the pipe whenever possible.

Efun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2009, 06:14:45 pm »

Ya, im gonna get the forge up and running with some more swords and have the spear dwarfs cross train, hammers still can be useful in my opinion, so time to take away from the temple construction and get forging....|

Oh, BTW a spear dwarf got his throat stabbed out by a sword dwarf, so i think they were bickering about what weapon is better and the sword dwarf prove his point....
« Last Edit: June 19, 2009, 06:18:00 pm by Efun »
I fixed that up for you.

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2009, 06:28:15 pm »

Hammerers work fine *if* the dwarf is strong enough to send the orc flying. If not, the orc tends to shrug off the blows.

loopoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2009, 06:37:10 pm »

Hammerdwarfs are amazing. I have a squad of Sword dwarves and a squad of Hammer dwarves. I tend to send in the hammerers to finish off the runners, I usually send swords in first to deal damage. I have 2 squads of marksdwarves firing from 4 z levels up which also helps.

I think you should hold a huge sacrifical game. Have Orcs compete against one squad and see who wins :D Orcs get no armor and your guys only get armor, no weapons. That and the fact the dwarves are heavily outnumbered make it an interesting game...

Keep your hammerdwarves, they're good.

Efun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2009, 06:48:40 pm »

How do you remove weapons and stuff from enemies?

And i was planning some big event, maybe if i got a gobbo siege id face like 10 gobbos vs 2 orcs and see who would win :P

EDIT: The Hammer dwarfs are ready to play ball, I sent them out to stand guard for the annoying kobolds and a gobbo ambush occurred.... all my dwarves were using their hand to block the sun outta their eyes, watching the goblins balls fly over the stadium roof, it was sweet!
« Last Edit: June 19, 2009, 07:18:30 pm by Efun »
I fixed that up for you.

Gergination

• Bay Watcher
  • The world is on fire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2009, 07:44:00 pm »

And i was planning some big event, maybe if i got a gobbo siege id face like 10 gobbos vs 2 orcs and see who would win :P

EDIT: The Hammer dwarfs are ready to play ball, I sent them out to stand guard for the annoying kobolds and a gobbo ambush occurred.... all my dwarves were using their hand to block the sun outta their eyes, watching the goblins balls fly over the stadium roof, it was sweet!

If you're talking about caged enemies it's quite simple.  Designate a garbage dump nearby then d->b->d on the cage.  The dwarves will strip every article off the gobbo and eventually dump the whole cage.  Then just d->b->c on the garbage dump and they will grab all the items and put the cage back in the stockpile.  You can do a more tedious method by using the stocks screen and marking all their armor and weapons for dumping.
With [SLOW_LEARNER], dwarves probably don't sit around and talk anymore. They just stand in the same corner altogether, staring at each other, sticking their bearded lips out trying to make sounds. And giggling when someone actually says a whole word.

Byakugan01

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2009, 07:44:45 pm »

Gobbos and orcs won't fight in the arena, or so i've heard. You could, however, pit them with a grizzly bear pack or a whole pack of dire wolves, and have dwarves take bets on the winners. By the way, if they bring a squad of snipers lure them inside and force them to go around a corner to meet your dwarves-even with a decent army, there's a strong chance of being murdered by orcish machinegunners snipers.
From Mr. Welch's 1350 things he is not allowed to do in a RPG:
148. There is no Gnomish Deathgrip, and even if there was, it wouldn't involve tongs.
171. My character's dying words are not allowed to be "Hastur, Hastur, Hastur"
218. No matter my alignment, organizing halfling pit fights is a violation.
231. I am not allowed to do anything that would make a Sith Lord cry.
240. Any character with more than three skills specializing in chainsaw is vetoed.

Efun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2009, 08:02:32 pm »

Gobbos and orcs won't fight in the arena, or so i've heard. You could, however, pit them with a grizzly bear pack or a whole pack of dire wolves, and have dwarves take bets on the winners. By the way, if they bring a squad of snipers lure them inside and force them to go around a corner to meet your dwarves-even with a decent army, there's a strong chance of being murdered by orcish machinegunners snipers.

Ya, the temple design is set up so you enter at the top and go downwards into the arena/main floor of the temple then the next floor (still above ground) is the animal storage/ cage trap galore tunnel into the fort itself

Im planning on building towers outside the main entrance of the temple on either side to station marksdwarves in, then have little rabbit holes near the entrance for my melee dwarfs to jump outta.... its gonna take so tideous designing to get the flow right.

Also, Armok must really want blood, the fodder worshipers keep coming and i dont have enough civilian jobs open so my army keeps growing, i wish i could send sieges.....
I fixed that up for you.
Pages: [1] 2 3