Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: I'm off to buy some sort of video game for the PC today. Recommend me something.  (Read 3179 times)

SHAD0Wdump

• Bay Watcher
  • Hiding in SPAAACE!!!
    • View Profile

I third the Orange Box. Quite possibly the best use of $30 I've ever spent.

Also,if you like music,get audiosurf. Best $10 I've spent besides Tribes.

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

RPG: Baldur's Gate 2 or Fallout 1 or 2 if you like games where your actions affect the world.

Oblivion/Fallout 3 are exact opposite. You get a huge world to do whatever, but your actions barely affect it at all.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile

RPG: Baldur's Gate 2 or Fallout 1 or 2 if you like games where your actions affect the world.

Oblivion/Fallout 3 are exact opposite. You get a huge world to do whatever, but your actions barely affect it at all.

And you generally only have two choices; do it now, do it later.
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

PenguinOverlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I've Narrowed it down to
EU3:Complete
Dawn of War
Orange Box
Empire:Total War
...Discuss. Introduce more if you must, but try to stay within the existing categories.
CleverBot: It hurts when you laugh at me.

Hawkfrost

• Bay Watcher
  • It's way too late to stop.
    • View Profile

Hmm... I would say to consider S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl.

Sandbox FPS-RPG, you can do what you want or do the missions.
The NPCs and monsters do their own thing, traveling, fighting, eating etc etc.
Customizable weapons with realistic ballistics(Heh, it rhymes).
Looks pretty, and has a creepy feel to it.

pilgrimboy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The only one out of the four that I own and have played is EUIII Complete.  That is a fabulous game.  I think you have to mod it with the MMP Mod, but after that things are wonderful.  Otherwise it is take over the world as fast as possible, which is very unrealistic.  I have spent days playing Portugal.  It is such a challenge to take over and keep North Africa.  I eventually gave up with that agenda and then started colonizing the new world and southwest Africa.  That method worked much better.

Needless to say, there are a thousand different games you can play by starting out with a different nation.  I failed as Portugal three or four times before figuring out how to do it.  But I could play Morocco or some other nation and have a great time trying to take over Europe. 

I have not played it in three to four months, but just talking about it makes me want to play it again.  It is a great game.       
Regular writer at a totally non-related Christian blog, Pulling Weeds Out Of Potholes

pilgrimboy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I also have stayed away from Empire Total War because the reviews seem to emphasize elements that I do not particularly enjoy.  It is more of a combat game with faulty pathfinding rather than a kingdom building game like EU3 Complete.  Whatever you want though.
Regular writer at a totally non-related Christian blog, Pulling Weeds Out Of Potholes

bepo5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

On steam empire total war is selling for 25 bucks, a great deal imo. It is a good game, and it has a very large modding community. Other than that, if you like FPS's I add another vote onto the orange box.

Shadowgandor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Killing Floor, this game is awesome if you love to play fps's online in a not so competitive way.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpi_38vVwts
That video has a higher chance of convincing you to buy the game then I can. Believe me, when I saw that trailer, I was like 'Oh, that's pretty cool', but when I played it, it was AWESOME, it's just everything you expect from a game like this and it's properly done as well.
Also, the relatively cheap price should be a plus and the very very very low Specs needed for this game are a good thing as well ^^

Hawkfrost

• Bay Watcher
  • It's way too late to stop.
    • View Profile

You seriously can't go wrong with the orange box.

Unless you don't like FPS of course.

I would also say Morrowind(For those who want deeper gameplay)/Oblivion(For those who like graphics over gameplay.)
I've had alot of fun with these two games, both are good in their own way.

RPG games with an open world, do whatever you want (You can see a theme in the games I play, eh?)
Oblivion has better combat, Morrowind has better quests, theme, monsters, and skills.
With Oblivion I have to admit, putting an arrow through an ogre's eye from 50 feet and walking up and actually seeing the arrow in the wound is always a thrill.

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile

You seriously can't go wrong with the orange box.

Unless you don't like FPS of course.

I would also say Morrowind(For those who want deeper gameplay)/Oblivion(For those who like graphics over gameplay.)
I've had alot of fun with these two games, both are good in their own way.

RPG games with an open world, do whatever you want (You can see a theme in the games I play, eh?)
Oblivion has better combat, Morrowind has better quests, theme, monsters, and skills.
With Oblivion I have to admit, putting an arrow through an ogre's eye from 50 feet and walking up and actually seeing the arrow in the wound is always a thrill.

"do whatever you want" isn't a very good description of Oblivion.  "Do things whenever you want" would be more accurate.  There are practically no real choices in the game (and not even that many fake ones) except "Do it now" or "Do it later."  Once you actually chose to do something now, there's only one way to go about it, and only one possible outcome (Death for the antagonist/s).  It's basically a single player MMORPG without any sense of discovery or progression, or multiplayer.

What's really amazing about the game is that there were actually more choices meant to be included in the game but they were cut.  The dialogue files for them can still be found in the CS.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2009, 12:21:15 am by Ioric Kittencuddler »
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile

Dominions 3 is a fun fantasy strategy game on the cheaper side, and good if you have a buddy to play it with.

It's the most original/unique PBEM wargame. It's a shame that I don't really like the PBEM concept, I always preferred to play "normal" MP games in regard to strategy titles...since the MP community was quite small, it was very hard to find MP games in the "official" IRC channel even.  :-\

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I also have stayed away from Empire Total War because the reviews seem to emphasize elements that I do not particularly enjoy.  It is more of a combat game with faulty pathfinding rather than a kingdom building game like EU3 Complete.  Whatever you want though.

All the TW games are like that at first. Faulty pathfinding is hella annoying. And kingdom building is a bit shallow. That's why I recommended the older versions. Not only can you play it in full glory with a medium range gfx card, but it's got the bugs fixed, half the price, and has cool mods to come with it.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

yamo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I would get EU3, or Dominion 3,  or Drakensang the Dark Eye...but since you have mentioned orange box...so much has been said about Portal that if you like FPS then it sounds like a must play/buy...i hate FPS( blah, blah, no thumbs...) but if you have not played portal you probably should.

*braces for haddock slapping.
Then again, I consider Infinity to be overly ambitious, something that might easily spell it's downfall.

-Blackthorne
Pages: 1 [2] 3