Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: I'm off to buy some sort of video game for the PC today. Recommend me something.  (Read 3177 times)

PenguinOverlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Thankyou, and I'm willing to try anything!
I've already been told to buy Prototype, EU3, or Dawn of War II. Continue on the list and add an argument as to why I should but it. In other words, I dun want 2 try ur Naruto Game cuz it's awuusum!
Current List:
EU3(Seconded)
Dawn of War(4x, but it got a Minus One due to idiom)
Orange Box
Sacrifice
Empire:Total War(Has it been patched? I heard it was released in an unplayable state)
Fallout 3(Guffaw, it's been negatived)
Dominion 3(Seconded)
The Fallout Games
Sword of the Stars complete pack

Discussion Closes When I get around to it.
Now, I demand you not only tell me a game but explain why in lengthy essays!(Not really, but I want proof as to why your game is fun.)
« Last Edit: June 20, 2009, 09:43:19 am by PenguinOverlord »
CleverBot: It hurts when you laugh at me.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile

If you get Dawn of War, get the first one.  You can probably find the platinum edition(DoW, Winter Assault, and Dark Crusade) for less than the price of DoW 2, and for it you get 7 races, like four campaigns, and what I consider to be a better experience than DoW 2.
Shoes...

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile

EUIII is better then all those games.
Steam Profile
Youtube(Let's Plays), Occasional Streaming
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile

Team Fortress 2 is good. Get the Orange Box. You get three excellent games for the price of one (albiet, all of them are FPS).

Idiom

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_THOUGHT]
    • View Profile

I found the original FarCry for 10$. If you haven't played it, play it on hard and wonder what kind of shmucks actually enjoyed the later Cry engine games.

Also, don't get any DOW game if you actually play the DOW tabletop. You will be irritated to death.

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile

Get Empire total war on steam, it's half price this weekend for $25.

Jreengus

• Bay Watcher
  • Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
    • View Profile

If you get Dawn of War, get the first one.  You can probably find the platinum edition(DoW, Winter Assault, and Dark Crusade) for less than the price of DoW 2, and for it you get 7 races, like four campaigns, and what I consider to be a better experience than DoW 2.
I second this, DoW 1 is superior to DoW 2 in every conceivable way.

Also insert obligatory donate to Toady remark here.
Oh yeah baby, you know you like it.  Now stop crying and get in my lungs.
Boil your penis. I'm convinced that's how it happened.
My HoM.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile

I second this, DoW 1 is superior to DoW 2 in every conceivable way.

Also insert obligatory donate to Toady remark here.

Indeed..DoW 1. is much better. DoW 2. is just a "meh".  ::)

Darkone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

DoW1 is fun. I also recommend Empire:Total War, as its amazingly entertaining at times.

For my recommendation; Sword of the Stars complete pack- SotS + all three expansions for only 16$!
"LOL, those nub FBI, they thought you were sharing software so they kicked down your door, only to find you recently wiped your entire hard drive, how wacky! Case dismissed."
[11:58] <Jay16> I couldn't begin proper last time I tried this because I embarked next to a hydra.

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Sims 3

Yeah, Total War game (the older ones are still good and much cheaper).

Dominions 3 is a fun fantasy strategy game on the cheaper side, and good if you have a buddy to play it with.

Oh, and the Fallout games ($20 for FO1, 2, and Tactics) is a great deal if you've never played Fallout. Still a good deal if you've played one, liked it, and haven't played the other two.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Twiggie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

according to a friend of mine, all 4 including soulstorm used to be £19 in asda. idk if thats still on.

anyways
Rts: C&C3/C&C3KW
RPG: Fallout 3
TBS: any of the total wars except shogun. hated that 'un
FPS: CS:s - bit old but still good imo. cod:4 - didnt like the look of 5, but MW2 is out soon...
also, if you havent got 'em, all of the halflife games.

Silleh Boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Sacrifice.

It's an old game now, so it should be cheap. It's fun enough however, it gives you a degree of playstyle customisation with the gods you choose from for your spells/units between levels. It's an odd RTS in the sense that you play the part of your wizard, commanding your units and casting spells, as well as in the sense that your units themselves are the resources that you need to use to create new units.
Want more units? Simple, kill the enemy wizards creatures, prevent him capturing the souls back and convert them to your side. Easier said than done, in many cases.
The graphics may be dated and the story a little silly (Though, I won't spoil it) but, i'm sure there's a few other's who'll second this as something you should get.

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile

I wouldn't suggest Fallout 3 unless you don't like Fallout and/or loved Oblivion.

Similarly, I wouldn't suggest C&C3 if you like C&C.
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile

RPGs: Fallout 3 and/or Oblivion, they're both good if you like open ended/long lasting games.

Dominions 3 is awesome if you'd like a different strategy game with solid rpg elements.

The Sims 3 if you like the series.

Haven't played Prototype but my friends say its awesome, don't expect it to last for more then a week, and thats if you're a casual gamer, an avid player could finish it in a weekend i hear.
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

Zai

• Bay Watcher
  • Elmo? Is that a SIMPLE UTENSIL?
    • View Profile

I second the Orange Box. Quite possibly the best use of $30 I've ever spent.
DEATH has been waiting for you. He has poured you some TEA.
Pages: [1] 2 3