Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Dealing with [SPOILER]  (Read 1536 times)

Haedrian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dealing with [SPOILER]
« on: June 19, 2009, 10:34:40 am »

I struck everyone's favourite blue metal, and started mining it out.

Unfortunatly I hit a demon pit - which spawned 3 spirits of fire. They instantly burnt a miner to death, but then the game locked up for some reason.

Upon second load, I was more prepared - I moved my two squads (4 bows, 5 weapons - all champions) . This time, the piut spawned 7 spirits of fire, and one of them actually cut through 3 champions and a crossbowmen without taking any damage aside from light wounds.

They are rather rubbishly underequipped (still haven't forged the addy into armor yet) , but I didn't think demons were THAT bad.

Right now I reloaded (save scumming hooray), and I'm digging around it... so the question is - how to beat the demons...
« Last Edit: June 19, 2009, 10:45:49 am by Haedrian »
When life gives you kittens, make biscuits

Likes llamas for their long necks

kotekzot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dealing with Demons
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2009, 10:44:14 am »

the first thing to do is mark the thread as a spoiler. sofs are the hardest demons in the 'hood, so you should get creative. a cave-in can do amazing things.
Dwarf Fortress: Where violent death is a renewable resource
Bro, your like... thinking like a square man... its like, the WHOLE lamprey is just like, one big NECK dude, you know? its like hahahaha! dude protect the trees though, seriously. *inhale*... anyways... you like, want this dead black bear, bro?

Haedrian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dealing with [SPOILER]
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2009, 10:47:41 am »

How about... (rather cheaty I think) -

I block all passages to the pit using fortifications except for one square. I then send a miner in, seal the square with fortifications, and order him to breach the pit.

Alternativly... spirits of fire don't like water do they? I have a brook... what if I access the pit FROM ABOVE (do they fly?) and just drown them?
When life gives you kittens, make biscuits

Likes llamas for their long necks

kotekzot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2009, 10:49:12 am »

sofs don't like water so much they evaporate any that comes close to them.
i don't really understand what you want to do with fortifications but if it involves shooting then remember that spirits of fire can throw fireballs.

also, yes, they do fly. they are nigh indestructible. burying them under a few tonnes of rock is the best option.
Bro, your like... thinking like a square man... its like, the WHOLE lamprey is just like, one big NECK dude, you know? its like hahahaha! dude protect the trees though, seriously. *inhale*... anyways... you like, want this dead black bear, bro?

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2009, 11:30:27 am »

Collapsing a roof on their heads (ideally when they're all standing on traps) would be best.  Remember, when an SoF gets near a wooden support, it will burn.  Be creative.

Byakugan01

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2009, 11:41:47 am »

Collapsing a roof on their heads (ideally when they're all standing on traps) would be best.  Remember, when an SoF gets near a wooden support, it will burn.  Be creative.
Is the burning of wooden supports confirmed then?
From Mr. Welch's 1350 things he is not allowed to do in a RPG:
148. There is no Gnomish Deathgrip, and even if there was, it wouldn't involve tongs.
171. My character's dying words are not allowed to be "Hastur, Hastur, Hastur"
218. No matter my alignment, organizing halfling pit fights is a violation.
231. I am not allowed to do anything that would make a Sith Lord cry.
240. Any character with more than three skills specializing in chainsaw is vetoed.

kotekzot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2009, 11:43:46 am »

traps wouldn't do anything because sofs can't be knocked out, i believe. those sofs that were supposed to be knocked out by the dust would just fly through the hole in the roof unscathed.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2009, 11:44:22 am »

traps wouldn't do anything because sofs can't be knocked out, i believe. those sofs that were supposed to be knocked out by the dust would just fly through the hole in the roof unscathed.
Fair enough.  Tonne of rocks it is.

Efun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2009, 12:37:33 pm »

Do it the Armok way and recruit you entire fort and send em in, some have to survive and if they survive the tantrums and serious injuries your fort is RICH!!
Military dorfs are the busiest if their partner is also in the military, Military children are my forts future, also its hilariously tragic when a mother carrying her child into battle gets hit, and the baby dies....
I fixed that up for you.

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2009, 01:50:47 pm »

i don't really understand what you want to do with fortifications but if it involves shooting then remember that spirits of fire can throw fireballs.

Not across z-levels they can't. Just put your archers one level up and give the SoF limited room to fly.

Byakugan01

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2009, 02:14:28 pm »

Do it the Armok way and recruit you entire fort and send em in, some have to survive and if they survive the tantrums and serious injuries your fort is RICH!!
You and I both know that there aren't always survivors when dealing with SoF.
148. There is no Gnomish Deathgrip, and even if there was, it wouldn't involve tongs.
240. Any character with more than three skills specializing in chainsaw is vetoed.

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2009, 02:33:53 pm »

If you don't want to collapse the pit and you've got time you can set up ballistas  to fire into the pit.

I'd carve the fortifications last because they all spawn at the moment you breach the pit and then they try to path to the surface over and over if fortifications are the only barrier.

You may need to make some kind of airlock to let dwarves or creatures in so the will reveal themselves. This is usually a disaster because they can melt pretty much anything so you'd need to be quick about placing a constructed wall but they won't melt a floor hatch one floor above them thanks to how the game works.

And don't bother giving the bolts metal heads. A wooden one obliterates your problem without them burning it or anything.
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

Efun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2009, 03:03:35 pm »

Ya well you didnt have to tell them that.... :P
Military dorfs are the busiest if their partner is also in the military, Military children are my forts future, also its hilariously tragic when a mother carrying her child into battle gets hit, and the baby dies....
I fixed that up for you.

Byakugan01

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2009, 03:26:36 pm »

He already had FUN. Seriously, the guy is asking for advice on how to deal with them. Giving bad advice which you know will have detrimental results isn't helping him, and doesn't really contribute to the discussion.

echo78

• Bay Watcher
  • You cant see me because Im lurking
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2009, 01:25:25 am »

He already had FUN. Seriously, the guy is asking for advice on how to deal with them. Giving bad advice which you know will have detrimental results isn't helping him, and doesn't really contribute to the discussion.
Sorry for the quote string but yeah these guys are trying to get you killed just use a lot of cage traps  ::)
[FOR RENT]
Pages: [1] 2