Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Comatose Dwarf enters into a fey mood!  (Read 2164 times)

Crossroads Inc.

• Bay Watcher
  • Joined in the great Migration of 2009
    • View Profile
Comatose Dwarf enters into a fey mood!
« on: June 19, 2009, 09:13:44 am »

SO this poor happles dwarf, one of my original 7 who in his first year killed a fire Imp, but got his Spine injured in the process, has been laying in bed for almost 5 years.  people bring him food, and I've made his room quite comfortable, but I dont think hes leaving it any time soon.

Well I THOUGHT that up into he entered into a few mood.  Suddenly hes out of bed and collecting things, limping at a slow pace mind you... It took him forever to gather up his materials, but eventually he made a rather nice Rosegold crossbow.

Sadly, the instant his labor was done, he collapsed and was returnned to his bed once more.  Anyone have similar stories?
Ask not what the Dwarfs can do for you...
But ask.... why are they drunk all the time?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Comatose Dwarf enters into a fey mood!
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2009, 09:25:29 am »

I once had a dwarf enter a fey mood RIGHT before he died, this was after a goblin ambush that went bad and the guy was bleeding out or something. I guess he went into hallucinations right before death.

As for your dwarf, you should have put him out of his misery years ago, unless you have sentimential reasons.

Samus1111111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2009, 09:31:58 am »

I had a woodcutter get a yellow head injury in a goblin ambush. He was in bed then got up and made a birchen septer then returned to his bed and healed completely in a few days at the next season change.

Masennus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2009, 10:29:15 am »

I've seen stories like this before. Sometimes the stat gains from the mood make the difference between healing and bleeding to death.
i mean, what kind of military gives people weapons straight off and tells them to go hit each other with them, with no proper training.
The same guys that think its a good idea to make magmafalls.

Haedrian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2009, 10:37:02 am »

My hunter got on the wrong side of a giant cheetah and had his lower body broken (in all respect, he DID kill it before he went to rest).

He walked himself to bed and rested for 2 seasons - then got up in a mood, made a wooden artifact, became a legendary crafter and by next season he was out hunting again.
When life gives you kittens, make biscuits

Likes llamas for their long necks

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2009, 11:00:55 am »

I've seen stories like this before. Sometimes the stat gains from the mood make the difference between healing and bleeding to death.

Well, the mood came too late for the guy which I mentioned earlier, he and a few other dwarves were slowly dying. What I saw in the announcements was:
Urist McDying has entered a fey mood!
Urist McDying has died from bloodloss (or something)!

Crossroads Inc.

• Bay Watcher
  • Joined in the great Migration of 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2009, 11:22:05 am »

I do keep him around for sentimental reasons since he was one of the Original 7, sadly he is still in bed and not sure if he will recover... Maybe if he gets another fey mood he might be healed!
Ask not what the Dwarfs can do for you...
But ask.... why are they drunk all the time?

pushy

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2009, 11:44:29 am »

I do keep him around for sentimental reasons since he was one of the Original 7, sadly he is still in bed and not sure if he will recover... Maybe if he gets another fey mood he might be healed!
What's the yellow/red injury that's keeping him bed-ridden?
Quote from: Tim Edwards, PC Gamer UK
There are three things I know about dwarves:
1. They've got beards. Even the women.
2. They're short. Especially the women.
3. They're Scottish.

kotekzot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2009, 11:53:39 am »

spine. they never heal. also, only 1 mood per dwarf. if the skill boosts from becoming a legendary didn't give him enough toughness to shrug it off then he will never walk again.
Dwarf Fortress: Where violent death is a renewable resource
Bro, your like... thinking like a square man... its like, the WHOLE lamprey is just like, one big NECK dude, you know? its like hahahaha! dude protect the trees though, seriously. *inhale*... anyways... you like, want this dead black bear, bro?

Efun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2009, 12:34:57 pm »

DORF COMPANION FTW!! Kill him or heal him!!
Military dorfs are the busiest if their partner is also in the military, Military children are my forts future, also its hilariously tragic when a mother carrying her child into battle gets hit, and the baby dies....
I fixed that up for you.

ZergSpartan

• Bay Watcher
  • OH GOD BEES
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2009, 01:07:50 pm »

I learned the hard way, Hospital rooms should double as drowning chambers.
"Yeah. My plan was to drop some kittens into the siege, and have my dwarves freefall into battle, landing on top of the kittens. The plan was kinda dumb though because the kittens were standing on grates, and the goblins killed them with arrows just as I was releasing the freefalling dwarves. So the dwarves weren't able to land on kittens and just fell and died."

AtomicPaperclip

• Bay Watcher
  • Who names their kid dagger anyway?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2009, 01:08:17 pm »

That's pretty cool, that's never happened to me.

My last mood was a peasant with no experience in anything who I refused to let into my fort because population>brewery already.

While they other dwarves were dying of thirst and starvation, my stupid peasant was doing just fine waiting patienty for someone to build a crafts shop.

Then the orcs came...
Dear Toady: Keep up the good work man, we appreciate you and the game beyond words.

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2009, 02:35:10 pm »

I once had a fey mood one a fort wrought with tantrums and madness... the poor guy was allready covered in yellow wounds and sleeping it off in his bed when he got his mood. He dragged himself to the far away craft shop, and arrived with a bunch of red wounds... still, he went on, crawling around to grab some piece of felsite, and then he ran into a tantrum dwarf who tore him to pieces. That was so sad I allmost didnt laugh  ;D
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2009, 03:29:24 pm »

I think spinal injuries heal right up the the light injury stage. That won't go away so they're never sparing again but a dwarf with a little toughness isn't otherwise bothered by it.
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

Byakugan01

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2009, 03:32:45 pm »

If a spinal injury is yellow or red, however, it will never heal. I have a legendary armorsmith in one fort who's been in bed for over a decade. Still hasn't recovered from the broken spine she received in that fort's tantrum spiral, so i doubt she ever can.
From Mr. Welch's 1350 things he is not allowed to do in a RPG:
148. There is no Gnomish Deathgrip, and even if there was, it wouldn't involve tongs.
171. My character's dying words are not allowed to be "Hastur, Hastur, Hastur"
218. No matter my alignment, organizing halfling pit fights is a violation.
231. I am not allowed to do anything that would make a Sith Lord cry.
240. Any character with more than three skills specializing in chainsaw is vetoed.
Pages: [1] 2 3