Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Comatose Dwarf enters into a fey mood!  (Read 2157 times)

Gergination

• Bay Watcher
  • The world is on fire
    • View Profile
Re: Comatose Dwarf enters into a fey mood!
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2009, 03:46:41 pm »

I had a gem cutter get a red lung wound from a tantruming dwarf.  He got busted up in multiple places but they all healed.  He got up and continued to do all his tasks with a red lung wound and he was permanently winded.
With [SLOW_LEARNER], dwarves probably don't sit around and talk anymore. They just stand in the same corner altogether, staring at each other, sticking their bearded lips out trying to make sounds. And giggling when someone actually says a whole word.

Ironhand

• Bay Watcher
  • the llama is laughing
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2009, 04:07:09 pm »

I had a woodcutter do this once. She lost a foot and was unconscious for several years and then woke up for a fey mood.

Efun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2009, 04:15:22 pm »

One of my most recent forts went all or nothing against an orc siege and 7 dwarfs lived, 6 wounded and cant walk, 1 with minimal damage, 3 died of wound....well 2 died of wounds one fell into a blade trap, then you get the berserk dwarfs that are missing a leg hobbling after your melancholy dwarfs.....good times
Military dorfs are the busiest if their partner is also in the military, Military children are my forts future, also its hilariously tragic when a mother carrying her child into battle gets hit, and the baby dies....
I fixed that up for you.

Byakugan01

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2009, 04:25:21 pm »

You want real fun, have your last trained military dwarf, in full iron masterpiece plate-chain sandwich with a masterpiece iron war hammer go berserk. Dwarf body parts go everywhere. There were survivors, only because he stayed in one area which i forbade any dwarf from entering.

As for that, I have had red-wounded dwarves create an artifact. In particular, a fell mood. The guy went and butchered a recruit, made a dwarfbone mace-then went right back to bed.
From Mr. Welch's 1350 things he is not allowed to do in a RPG:
148. There is no Gnomish Deathgrip, and even if there was, it wouldn't involve tongs.
171. My character's dying words are not allowed to be "Hastur, Hastur, Hastur"
218. No matter my alignment, organizing halfling pit fights is a violation.
231. I am not allowed to do anything that would make a Sith Lord cry.
240. Any character with more than three skills specializing in chainsaw is vetoed.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2009, 04:26:38 pm »

I had a miller get mauled by a werewolf as soon as he arrived on the map. He lost his arm, and was hauled to the communal bed room I had set up. Several years later, he goes fey, and begins slowly crawling out of the room. So slowly, that he went crazy before he got outside. Then he died of thirst a tile or so from the door.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

GreenMarine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2009, 04:41:58 pm »

Then the orcs came...

This works as an epilogue to any DF story.
"Your brother made an artifact when he was ten! What have you done with your life?!"

Doppel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2009, 07:52:02 pm »

I once had a dwarf enter a fey mood RIGHT before he died, this was after a goblin ambush that went bad and the guy was bleeding out or something. I guess he went into hallucinations right before death.

As for your dwarf, you should have put him out of his misery years ago, unless you have sentimential reasons.

I think you missed the part about the Rosegold crossbow he created. Now that he did though, yeah, he deserves to be put down.
Doppel has been ecstatic lately. He took joy in playing DF lately. He slept on a rough cave keyboard recently.
He is a member of the Dwarf Fortress Forums.
Doppel likes the color Dark Blue, cats for their aloofness and girls for their silky soft brea beards.
He appreciates art and natural beauty.

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2009, 09:10:58 pm »

If you get them tough enough they don't mind not being able to breath. It can get to the point where one falling into water might just deal with drowning long enough to learn to swim. I'm pretty sure this would mean shrugging off having roughly half lung capacity too.

-

With nervous injuries I must have just been thinking of someone who took tags off so they could heal (though if it's a brain injury I think your dwarves need the no thought tag for the duration of not having a nervous brain organ.)
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2009, 09:25:32 am »

I'm guess this isn't considered a bug, then?

I've got a guy with a red upper body crawling around... Here's to hoping he doesn't go mad before he gets to the goods and back

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2009, 10:19:42 am »

One of my first wave immigrants, a natural weaver, got torn up a bit when I spot-recruited him to deal with a kobold thief.  Enough to go to bed.  So I told one of his companions, the natural clothesmaker, to take on weaving duties (having just set up the basics of the clothing industry, from growing onwards) and I managed to get the weaving up to a decent amount of skill and the clothesmaking just slightly ahead.  (So much so that the next clothesmaker that came along I decided to recruit, instead of switching the clothesmaking duties completely over to the newcomer.)

Then the weaver woke up and went for broke on a legendary weaving task.  Before going back to bed.

Not sure if the stat gains helped out in his recovery.  I do know that a (previously) legendary/near-legendary miner who also went to bed after a similar encounter (as one of my original two, and my having at that time only the two picks, I had to finagle his tool out of his hands in order for someone else to help out the other original miner complete some necessary digging) but who didn't have the advantage of a mood recovered a lot earlier (I suddenly realised he was sitting there as "No job" instead of "Rest", and had to temporarily pinch the pick back again, though I soon got a few spares from the next relevent trading opportunity).

When the weaver woke up, I don't know, but suddenly I found him woke up and was able to remove the clothesmaker/weaver-backup's weaving assignment.  Not enough work for two of the blighters, with only one, albeit Legendary, grower handling the entire farming industry and being made to concentrate more on foodcrops, and now I had a legendary weaver working away to feed the decent-skilled clothesmaker.

(Or so are the facts as I remember them, anyway.  ICBW)

Slogo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2009, 10:27:10 am »

If you get them tough enough they don't mind not being able to breath. It can get to the point where one falling into water might just deal with drowning long enough to learn to swim. I'm pretty sure this would mean shrugging off having roughly half lung capacity too.

Does learning swimming (or drowning in general) build up toughness? Could you rehabilitate a dwarf but creating a chamber that drowns -> drains -> drowns -> drains and subjecting the dwarf to 'sessions' of this ritual to skill him up. Your only hospital bed would have to be in that chamber for it to fully work but in theory would it?

Brent Not Broken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2009, 10:52:54 am »

One of my favorite strange mood stories starts this way.

I had brought a proficient Armorer as one of my starting seven, hoping to get a fey mood out of her. For the first couple years of the fortress, she did hauling jobs, while waiting for me to get my act together and set up an extensive (and impressive!) magma forging operation.

So one day she's out hauling wood into the fortress, and runs afoul of a goblin ambush! She survived (my military wasn't too far away), but those jerks broke her right arm, and she spent several seasons in bed, resting and trying to recuperate.

Then the fey mood strikes: she hauls herself to the forge, broken arm and all, and comes up with an iron right gauntlet-- for her still-broken right arm, maybe? It's decorated with goblin bone, maybe from the same poor goblin schmuck that broke her arm in the first place.

She went back to bed as a Legendary Armorer, and healed up completely at the next change of the seasons.

Then, I swear I started seeing goblin civilization leaders trying to knock my door down, with their armor decorated with images of iron right gauntlets.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2009, 02:12:34 pm »

Since a mood isn't resolved until the end of it (that is, the outcomes differ), and if it's not a true "dealbreaker" injury, if you want to "cheat" you can save-scum, and let the moody dwarf finish again and again until his Toughness is the attribute that gets the big boost.

Note that if it's 33% chance for each (and we're only assuming it is), that's going to be a very small chance to get 3 or more hits on Toughness.  All depends on how obsessive you want to get about it.  ;)

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2009, 03:24:53 pm »

Does learning swimming (or drowning in general) build up toughness? Could you rehabilitate a dwarf but creating a chamber that drowns -> drains -> drowns -> drains and subjecting the dwarf to 'sessions' of this ritual to skill him up. Your only hospital bed would have to be in that chamber for it to fully work but in theory would it?

All skills apply EXP towards the next skill gain. Once you hit the cap, there's a 33% chance that Toughness gets the point.

So swimming/drowning has no effect on Toughness in particular. It's just as likely to train Agility or Strength. Sorry.

Slogo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2009, 03:28:39 pm »

Well that still answers favorably for the idea doesn't it? If a comatose dwarf gains swimming skill while partially drowning then he'd gain toughness (as well as strength and agility).
Pages: 1 [2] 3