Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fixed-plot?  (Read 1112 times)

Broose

• Bay Watcher
  • Pilfering Gatorhead
    • View Profile
Fixed-plot?
« on: June 18, 2009, 11:31:59 pm »

I was looking through the Core List, and I saw the term "fixed-plot" being used sometimes. Something about magic and the dead being risen in older versions of the game. I can't seem to find any more information about it, so can someone explain it to me?

Efun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fixed-plot?
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2009, 01:06:20 am »

Magic!!! In the CORE version!!! we must consult the archives and use all available resources (google) to see if it is true
Military dorfs are the busiest if their partner is also in the military, Military children are my forts future, also its hilariously tragic when a mother carrying her child into battle gets hit, and the baby dies....
I fixed that up for you.

Gergination

• Bay Watcher
  • The world is on fire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2009, 01:23:38 am »

Well your stock screen has potions listed.

I was under the impression that DF was planned to be a high fantasy game with magic and wizards along with all the other stuff that we already have.
With [SLOW_LEARNER], dwarves probably don't sit around and talk anymore. They just stand in the same corner altogether, staring at each other, sticking their bearded lips out trying to make sounds. And giggling when someone actually says a whole word.

Psyringe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2009, 01:33:03 am »

Adding magic as a game element is planned, but it's a very low priority item, considered only after v1.0 has been released. It will take several years before it becomes a factor in development.

Lav

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2009, 04:18:38 am »

I was looking through the Core List, and I saw the term "fixed-plot" being used sometimes. Something about magic and the dead being risen in older versions of the game. I can't seem to find any more information about it, so can someone explain it to me?
If my understanding is correct, "fixed plot" elements are certain hard-coded events in the earlier game versions. By now most of these has been converted either into normal game events or simply culled for better times.
Seems to be the way with things on this forum; if an invention doesn't involve death by magma then you know someone's going to go out of their way to make sure it does involve death by magma... then it gets acknowledged as being a great invention.

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2009, 04:40:05 am »

The magic was culled.

Broose

• Bay Watcher
  • Pilfering Gatorhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2009, 05:07:10 am »

If my understanding is correct, "fixed plot" elements are certain hard-coded events in the earlier game versions. By now most of these has been converted either into normal game events or simply culled for better times.

Figured that was it, but wanted more details on what would happen exactly.