Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Lowered FPS  (Read 820 times)

Kayla

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Lowered FPS
« on: June 18, 2009, 09:35:53 pm »

So, I have a great computer, and it runs even forts with around 40 people at about a 100FPS on a 6x6 with everything turned on. That's all nice and dandy, I s'pose. But I want a larger area, and more dwarves. Unfortunately, it really bugs me when it slows down, even temporary down to like 50FPS, and shoots back up to a 100. It just messes with me.

So, I'm thinking about lowering my FPS cap to 50, maybe even 20. I'm even thinking a slower game might be more enjoyable, because I'll be able to see more of everything.

So, anyone else voluntarily lower your cap for a slower game, or does everyone like to max their FPS as high as it can go to get blurry dwarves?

- Melody

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
Re: Lowered FPS
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2009, 09:42:38 pm »

I have 150... wait, no, I just lost 2/3 my military in a siege, 140 dwarves on a map with a giant-ass mountain that I'm using most of. The pathfinding is horrendous. I get an average of 15-30 FPS, depending on how many goblins I'm slaying/dropping at the moment.

Normally, I'd be happy to let my FPS be as high as it wants to be, but that's not much of an issue at the moment.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Samus1111111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2009, 10:02:34 pm »

how do you turn on the fps counter in the top left corner?

Kayla

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2009, 10:24:10 pm »

Go to your Dwarf Fortress folder, then go to Data > Init and then open init.txt

Scroll down to
[FPS:NO] and change it to [FPS:YES]

- Kayla

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2009, 10:38:25 pm »

I also play with my FPS set to a max of 50.  I used to have an older computer that could barely crank out that speed at embark, so now with a newer computer anything going more than 50FPS just seems too fast to me.

Heck, for awhile there I was having trouble at speeds above 20 fps, then I got used to it.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Kayla

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2009, 10:58:50 pm »

On a completely unrelated note, but I'm sooo allowed to derail my own thread *giggles*

Which do you think is more important? Lots of wood, or lava/magma, or underground river/pool?

It seems finding any place with both magma and an underground river or pool is borderline impossible, so I'm trying to figure out which is more important to me and is thus higher priority.

Michaelsoftman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2009, 11:10:13 pm »

I'd say magma.  It's used for defense / killing things, powering your workshops and glass industry...  Underground rivers and pools are good for making waterfalls, tower cap farms, and if you feel like killing a bunch of lizardmen.

Also, I keep my FPS capped at 500.  I pause the game as soon as it's started, and I plan out a few entire floors to be mined, so I want that to go as fast as possible, along with the stone dumping afterwards...

Efun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2009, 01:10:38 am »

The Human eye can only detect the difference of FPS at around 35 FPS, so there should be no reason for running that high, you want your dwarfs to bolt across the screen like when you just start the fort, for that make a small fort, pop caps, magma, kill all animals on sight, magma.... ya that covers it.
Military dorfs are the busiest if their partner is also in the military, Military children are my forts future, also its hilariously tragic when a mother carrying her child into battle gets hit, and the baby dies....
I fixed that up for you.

Gergination

• Bay Watcher
  • The world is on fire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2009, 01:22:47 am »

He wants his dwarves to have such a fast start that he basically designates the whole starting fort and then it's year two about 5 minutes later and everything is done.

Of course if there were beasties to be had it would only take about 10 seconds for your fort to crumble to defeat.
With [SLOW_LEARNER], dwarves probably don't sit around and talk anymore. They just stand in the same corner altogether, staring at each other, sticking their bearded lips out trying to make sounds. And giggling when someone actually says a whole word.

Psyringe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2009, 01:46:41 am »

Which do you think is more important? Lots of wood, or lava/magma, or underground river/pool?

It seems finding any place with both magma and an underground river or pool is borderline impossible, so I'm trying to figure out which is more important to me and is thus higher priority.
Are you using the "F"inder when looking for these features? I generated dozens of huge regions when i was looking for a specific (rare) combination, bu I never had a region without a couple of spots that had both magma and underground water.

Regarding importance, it depends on your playing style. You can't (sensibly) do without wood since it's the only material that beds can be made of, while you can do perfectly without magma *if* you have enough wood to produce fuel. However, on most maps you can import lots of wood without any problem, whereas if you have no magma on your starting map, you can never get it. Personally, I prefer to have magma, simply because I think it's an awesome game feature and I like toying around with it. But as I said, I never had problems finding magma in conjunction with underground water (and the wood supply that comes with that).

Regarding FPS, my current game runs at about 20 FPS no matter what I do, I'm just happy that it currently doesn't get lower. If I were in a situation like yours, I'd probably prefer to have the occasional speed boosts instead of lowering the cap in order to have a steadier time flow.

yuhhaur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2009, 03:49:38 am »

He wants his dwarves to have such a fast start that he basically designates the whole starting fort and then it's year two about 5 minutes later and everything is done.

Of course if there were beasties to be had it would only take about 10 seconds for your fort to crumble to defeat.

"You have found Microcline" would make the 5 minutes fort into a 1h fort  :P

I just capped my fort to 75fps and population to 80, and when the population grows, my frame rate will drops to about 40, which is still acceptable. Sieges? Down to 20.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2009, 04:02:41 am »

The Human eye can only detect the difference of FPS at around 35 FPS

Are you fucking serious? We're talking about a game where visual FPS is linked to "real" FPS, ergo how much stuff is being calculated, i.e. really being done.

How much of those FPS your eye can register is so far beside the point as to be in a different goddamn realm. And even if it were in any way relevant to the player who just wanted his game to go fast, there's a separate G_FPS setting that's supposed to determine how much of a refresh rate you see.

EDIT: I phrased that wrongly. What I meant was that the FPS setting controlled not what was displayed, but what was processed. Obviously, my point still stands.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2009, 04:04:51 am by assimilateur »