Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Use the search! Stop Necroing! Use the Darn SEARCH!  (Read 3333 times)

Bloogonis

• Bay Watcher
  • Steamyworks
    • View Profile
Use the search! Stop Necroing! Use the Darn SEARCH!
« on: June 18, 2009, 08:28:59 pm »

... ya Im just wondering what your views are on the common practice of yelling at posters for not necroing, or yelling at someone who used the search for necroing a year old thread. I have been bitten by this a few times because I search and go down the list till the post dates get about two months old and make a new thread. then someone goes two more pages deep and posts links to threads from mid 08...

so what do yall think, some times its warranted, especially when there are three topics about the same thing on the first two pages. how would you go about it?

(Aw darn I didnt do a search to see if their are any other threads about this  :o)

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
Re: Use the search! Stop Necroing! Use the Darn SEARCH!
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2009, 08:34:57 pm »

I don't think it matters unless you're in the suggestions forum.
That's the only place it makes sense.

Bloogonis

• Bay Watcher
  • Steamyworks
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2009, 08:38:42 pm »

I know but it was related and was fun, also half expected someone to bust in with a link to someone else talking about something similar, or maybe a rickroll just for the fun.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2009, 09:10:09 pm »

Search, then necro if you have something ADDITIONAL and CONSTRUCTIVE to say.

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2009, 09:14:35 pm »

Also see my link repository.
PLEASE.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2009, 09:37:06 pm »

First I've heard of "Wathathafatha."

Deimos56

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: unicorpion]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2009, 12:15:26 am »

Um.
Stop Necroing!
You might want to change that?
I'm curious what the barely conscious ai wrote about.
Well that went better than expected.  He went nuts and punched a rabbit to death, then the dogs and the whole dining hall ripped him to shreds.

IndonesiaWarMinister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2009, 04:00:46 am »

Um.
Stop Necroing!

Yeah, that + using search = contradiction.

It's like dividing with zero!

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2009, 07:07:51 am »

What? I can divide with zero. 10/10=1.
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

SmileyMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2009, 07:11:51 am »

I suggest that if you get upset by a post on an internet forum about a game, then you quietly turn off the monitor, go outside and curl your toes in the grass.
In a fat-fingered moment while setting up another military squad I accidentally created a captain of the guard rather than a militia captain.  His squad of near-legendary hammerdwarves equipped with high quality silver hammers then took it upon themselves to dispense justice to all the mandate breakers in the fortress.  It was quite messy.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2009, 07:12:23 am »

Um.
Stop Necroing!
Author says: this community asks to use search AND at the same time yells at necromancers. It's weird.
You answer him to change that... Do you really think a single person can change the whole community?

I suggest that if you get upset by a post on an internet forum about a game, then you quietly turn off the monitor, go outside and curl your toes in the grass.
This was totally unrelated o_O.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2009, 10:38:35 am »

This was totally unrelated o_O.
Yet it is the greatest nugget of wisdom I have heard in quite some time.

As for the necroing thing. I'm not opposed to somebody making a new thread about something if the relavent necro is more than a month old. Maybe even sooner, everything but Slaves to Armok and Adventure mode discussion move stuff to the bottom pretty quick, if somebody accidentally creates a new thread on something already being discussed, kindly link them to the pre existing discussion.  The new thread will be out of sight within a day or two, no reason to get pissy over it and overreact like I have seen happen from time to time.

And if you decide to make a new thread about an ancient topic, maybe post a link to the old topic.  That might quell some of the nuts that complain that people should use the search and necro a thread from early 2007 instead of posting a new one.  Adds discussion materiel if somebody decides to read through it too.

EDIT: Better wording
« Last Edit: June 19, 2009, 10:42:34 am by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

kotekzot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2009, 11:19:15 am »

thread necromancy is not just replying to an old thread, it's replying to an old thread with something that doesn't contribute anything. no contradiction there.

of course, not everybody understands the difference and wants to act as a moderator at the same time.

this is what real thread necromancy looks like.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2009, 12:11:18 pm by kotekzot »
Dwarf Fortress: Where violent death is a renewable resource
Bro, your like... thinking like a square man... its like, the WHOLE lamprey is just like, one big NECK dude, you know? its like hahahaha! dude protect the trees though, seriously. *inhale*... anyways... you like, want this dead black bear, bro?

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2009, 12:11:36 pm »

I'm not sure if necroing is always a good idea, as opposed to creating a new thread.  For instance, if it's a suggestion, and your new suggestion is only vaguely related to the old one, people will generally only read the initial post rather than your new one.

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:PILLAR:kanil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2009, 01:38:50 pm »

I'd rather read a new thread about the same crap then seeing six month old necroposts.

But it is impossible to win, really. Either they blast you for necroposting or blast you for not searching. Or blast you for both!

Internet, serious business!
Yah, it sounds like minecraft with content, you have obviously missed the point, people dont like content, they like different coloured blocks.
Seems to work fine with my copy. As soon as I loaded the human caravan came by and the world burst into fire.
Pages: [1] 2 3