Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Use the search! Stop Necroing! Use the Darn SEARCH!  (Read 3317 times)

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
Re: Use the search! Stop Necroing! Use the Darn SEARCH!
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2009, 02:42:28 pm »

Search, then necro if you have something ADDITIONAL and CONSTRUCTIVE to say.

This.  :)

Bloogonis

• Bay Watcher
  • Steamyworks
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2009, 03:41:27 pm »

Necroing is bringing a thread back after the discussion died, posting without adding anything pertinent is spam or a bump. a necro bump is also called "being an ass".

Also many of you are right, if it was a thread that was 1 or 2 pages long a necro works, however once it gets to 5 or grater and the opening post does not cover your post to a clear extent. even if it is on the same general subject, you pretty much are just digging up the old thread to bury your post with it. (3 and 4 pages, can go either way.)

jaked122

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Lurker tendancies]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2009, 05:31:18 pm »

What? I can divide with zero. 10/10=1.
STFU. 0/0=0/0=0/0=0/0=1/0=0/1=2/0=21/0

SmileyMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2010, 12:51:36 pm »

This was totally unrelated o_O.
Not any more!

:D :P :D
In a fat-fingered moment while setting up another military squad I accidentally created a captain of the guard rather than a militia captain.  His squad of near-legendary hammerdwarves equipped with high quality silver hammers then took it upon themselves to dispense justice to all the mandate breakers in the fortress.  It was quite messy.

Noble Digger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2010, 01:09:38 pm »

The only necessary fix is to completely ignore the people who're bitching about it. To me, the posts from people who have dubbed themselves hall monitors tend to be more annoying and harmful than any amount of unnecessary threads\necromancy. To me, it's faster to just NOT POST and let the thread move on, instead of making an asinine and nonproductive post which really does nothing except rub new and old users the wrong way.

My one holdout is shit-related threads. I wish you'd all get banned and never post them, or discuss it, again. :> But when a new user makes a question post, and someone takes a whole paragraph to tell them to search when they could have instead answered the question in one line, I just facepalm.
quib·ble
1. To evade the truth or importance of an issue by raising trivial distinctions and objections.
2. To find fault or criticize for petty reasons; cavil.

Ratbert_CP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Enraged Primate
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2010, 01:40:50 pm »

What? I can divide with zero. 10/10=1.
STFU. 0/0=0/0=0/0=0/0=1/0=0/1=2/0=21/0

No.... 
0/0 is either infinity, 0, 1, or undefined depending on your philosophical stance on number and/or compiler theory.
1/0, 2/0, and 21/0 are all undefined or infinity depending on aforementioned stance(s).
0/1 is 0

Technically, I believe that the limit of x/y is infinity as y   approaches 0 for all non-zero values of x (a positive x nears positive infinity, a negative x nears negative infinity).  Not sure about when x is 0...

Or, if I was misreading you symbols:
0 is, in fact, equal to 0, repeatedly.
But 0 does not equal 1 or 21, nor does 1 equal 2.
Ratbert #CP#Z
"For FUN and HONOR!"

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2010, 02:11:31 pm »

Please check thread dates when resurrecting things.  The "divide by 0" portion of this thread did not need to be continued.

Ratbert_CP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Enraged Primate
« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2010, 02:17:25 pm »

Please check thread dates when resurrecting things.  The "divide by 0" portion of this thread did not need to be continued.

Hey!  I didn't call up this zombie.  I just saw a viable target... ;)

You're right though.  Especially given the topic, I should've been more cognizant of the date of that particular post.  I guess I just got annoyed at the tone of the response to a good-natured joke in conjunction with the painfully incorrect maths...
Ratbert #CP#Z
"For FUN and HONOR!"

Alexhans

• Bay Watcher
  • This is toodamn shortto write something meaningful
    • View Profile
    • Osteopatia y Neurotonia
« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2010, 02:28:00 pm »

On topic:  I think that linking to the necro page in the new post and saying that there's some discussion about it could be a good idea to let whoever wants to read it do so without looking like an extremely long thread that probably few will want to read.

Off:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
sigh...  ::)

btw... The sun is pink and 2*2=-2 in the real world.

“Eight years was awesome and I was famous and I was powerful" - George W. Bush.

Leperous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2010, 02:39:40 pm »

I think you need to get out more if you're worrying about thread necro :p

Besides, dividing by zero isn't defined in the sense that it cannot be an inverse of the multiplication operator - best you can do (without resorting to somewhat arcane branches of pure mathematics) is consider the limit of x/y as x,y->0 which gives different values depending on how you approach 0, which any University-level-educated mathematician will know all about. Since they are different we say that the limit does not exist.

Also, while I'm on the topic, FYI Cantor did not go insane because of infinities. He was already pretty screwed up.

Helmaroc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2010, 03:29:09 pm »

Yeah...I don't think it should be a big deal. I just noticed someone made a new 'what music do you listen to when playing DF' thread, I've seen at least three or four of those before, but eh, who cares?

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2010, 04:33:35 pm »

I wonder how much miasma a necroed thread generates.
Skyscrapes, the Tower-Fortress, finally complete!
Skyscrapes 2, repelling the zombie horde!

Lasander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2010, 05:39:53 pm »

What is the point in saving threads if we cant reply to them?  If you hate necro post so much then go to a *chan site where its impossible to do so.
Worship!

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm suffering from an acute case of Hominini Terravitae Biologis. Keep your distance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2010, 06:57:48 pm »

Know what annoys me? When people post "Search for it" in a post without any futher information.

When your response is "Search for it!" you have just created a false positive for anyone who actually DOES search for it.

I prefer the method of searching for it myself, finding the actual result, and putting a link in there with the search for it statement. Then you haven't created a false positive for people in the future.

As for Necroing, I don't really feel mad if people necro, as long as it is relavent. I laugh when their reply doesn't seem to take into account the great time difference between posts. Bonus points if it is really close with only a year difference, since it shows that they did a quick check but failed in the details ;)
... if someone dies TOUGH LUCK. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION DURING ALL THE DAMNED DODGING DEMONSTRATIONS!

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2010, 07:05:17 pm »

I prefer the method of searching for it myself, finding the actual result, and putting a link in there with the search for it statement.

I usually post links to the search results.  The only time I wouldn't is if the search term is a one word term that appears in the thread title.  If I need to later I can then link it (e.g. if the poster says "I did" I can go "no, you didn't" and link the search result I did for their thread title).
Pages: 1 [2] 3