Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Yay for burrows!  (Read 1923 times)

shevek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Yay for burrows!
« on: June 18, 2009, 10:25:05 am »

I am so excited about burrows! http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/dev_now.html This will solve so many of my efficiency problems that I am too lazy to micromanage. Now all I need is a "follow vein" mining command and my micromanaging days will be over.

EDIT: Query: do people like to micromanage?

kalida99

• Bay Watcher
  • ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
Re: Yay for burrows!
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2009, 10:33:27 am »

It seems pretty solid, i'd love to be able to have more control over where my dwarves work, rather that have them scrambling about running across the fort to do a job, then back across to do the same one.

as for the micro-managing just depends what my dwarves are doing
IE: i'd rather micro-manage mining than watch them engrave my fort
Let's see how those degenerate sophisticates handle a healthy dose of pure unreasoning violence.
— Commander Fleyitch

shevek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2009, 10:36:51 am »

Yeah, that's fair. I just usually have enough random projects going on that I'd rather not be going, d arrow enter, arrow d enter arrow all the time.

Peewee

• Bay Watcher
  • Watcher Of Bays
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2009, 11:39:52 am »

Hey shevek, I know of a nice 3rd party utility that can mark out veins for you.

http://dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/User:Exponent/For_Each_Tile

*It requires tweak and only works on versions 40d and earlier. (not 40d11) You can just move the save file over to a copy of 40d, then use the utility to do whatever, then move the ahh... 'enhanced' save back to the version you want.

Efun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2009, 12:43:08 pm »

Now you can make different sectioned cities, Slums, High class etc...

This will be good for many reasons, cant wait
Military dorfs are the busiest if their partner is also in the military, Military children are my forts future, also its hilariously tragic when a mother carrying her child into battle gets hit, and the baby dies....
I fixed that up for you.

Jurph

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Belt-fed Weaponry
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2009, 12:51:36 pm »

I can't wait to set up a Garment District, a Farm (with stables and fields), a Forge, the Kitchens, and a Quarry burrow in the new version, and establish dorms and dining halls in each area.  Maybe even spread the nobles out so each district has its own local celebrity.  For example, if the Baron likes pig-tail cloth, then he gets to live in the Garment District and his room will have dyed pig-tail bags for chests.

I'm sure some folks are going to come up with some really devious and awesome things to do with the burrows.  One of my first thoughts was to establish a private club in one section of the fort: masterwork everything, waterfalls everywhere you look, stockpiles that only accept the best booze in the fort, cages of exotic beasts, and a well that's unbelievably dwarfy (gold-ore block, dyed GCS rope, masterwork gold-ore mechanism, masterwork aluminum bucket).  This burrow would be reserved for dwarfs who aren't happy enough.  Lose your wife to tragedy?  You just earned a year with all labors disabled, living in the lap of luxury.  I dare you to feel unhappy at the end.

I'm also looking forward to being able to establish a Panic Room in the bowels of my fort, so that the dwarves can all retreat to a food-and-booze stockpile, yank a lever to raise a bridge, and hide while the army does their thing.  The Panic Room will probably also contain any low-quality weapons and armor I create.  It's not good enough for the Army, but it's better than rope reed for the Reserves!
Dreambrother has my original hammer-shaped Great Hall.  Towerweak has taken the idea to the next level.

kalida99

• Bay Watcher
  • ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2009, 12:55:08 pm »

Heh, thanks for the ideas, these will go great in TemptedHeaven!
hope you dont mind i steal them ;D
Let's see how those degenerate sophisticates handle a healthy dose of pure unreasoning violence.
— Commander Fleyitch

Peewee

• Bay Watcher
  • Watcher Of Bays
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2009, 01:05:27 pm »

I was just sort of planning on using burrows for easier mass-execution...

Oh, you have experience in cooking and brewing? Right line.
Oh, you have experience with crafting mugs? Right line.
Oh, you heard that we would provide refuge and free food? Left line.
Oh, you were the best hunter in your hometown before the goblins came? Left line.

blue emu

• Bay Watcher
  • GroFAZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2009, 01:12:54 pm »

"burrow" = borough? (ie: a district of a city or town)
Never pet a burning dog.

Goran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2009, 01:21:46 pm »

This is all in all, absolutely wonderful. Just think of the wonders it can do for masonry. You can restrict your workshops to be used only by experienced masons while the noobs labour on your mega-thing you just have to build.

Arvidsem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2009, 01:31:31 pm »

This much at least is relatively easy to do now with workshop profiles. You can set a minimum and maximum skill level for each shop. I use it to have a dozen or so shops where rock blocks are pumped out by peons (with 10 repeating rock block orders to that the manager can't stick real jobs into their queues), while leaving the high level shops for the real masons.
Of course you can't stop your real mason from going and placing blocks with the peons.

This is all in all, absolutely wonderful. Just think of the wonders it can do for masonry. You can restrict your workshops to be used only by experienced masons while the noobs labour on your mega-thing you just have to build.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2009, 01:50:00 pm »

Query: do people like to micromanage?

I like to micromanage, but not always. So when we gonna have functional armies/we will be able to conquer enemy sites/diplomacy is upgraded, I will spend lot less time with managing the fortress itself...at least I HOPE that I can spend less time on the fortress micromanagement after that point.  :)

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2009, 01:58:46 pm »

Hmm... I'd set up a borough near my magma pipe, where it was breached, and try to sort out my messy and convoluted workshops.  I'd also establish a miner's camp (I'm currently digging miles away from my fort to find HFS).  Actually, I've thought of something in a similar vein that may have application: sleeping bags.  A dwarf could carry food in a backpack, booze in a flask and a sleeping bag to go to sleep (not as good as being in a bed, but not as bad as sleeping on the floor).  These could tide him over on trips from one borough to another (useful for haulers, maybe).

shevek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2009, 04:11:03 pm »

"burrow" = borough? (ie: a district of a city or town)

No, I believe that it is burrow like as in a rabbit burrow.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2009, 04:14:30 pm »

This is going to radically change how we design fortresses, I think anyway, but the whole thing is a radical change, not just the burrows part.
Pages: [1] 2