Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Creative bridge defense?  (Read 1120 times)

AtomicPaperclip

• Bay Watcher
  • Who names their kid dagger anyway?
    • View Profile
Creative bridge defense?
« on: June 18, 2009, 01:38:13 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Top = top of my bridge. Traders, and therefor siegers, will cross this bridge (over an ocean) into my fort)

Bottom = one level down, where water is going to flow through as soon as I build my pumps. Will be doing soon.

Atom smashers and spike traps just aren't... enough. Not that they won't work, it's just so boring.

I could drop them down a z level where they will be washed into my cistern, I can fling them off the edge, but I feel like there's something totally awesome I could be doing.

I don't have magma, sorry. No boozsplosions. This is only my second winter, so don't worry. The flint will be replaced with glass eventually. I like the bauxite though as it is the color of blood :D
Dear Toady: Keep up the good work man, we appreciate you and the game beyond words.

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Creative bridge defense?
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2009, 04:04:36 am »

Do two more bridges with a row of pressure plates before the last one if you want to dump a whole siege at once.

Bonus points if you figure out how to make it so that the bridges will automatically pop back out so you don't get anyone stuck on the pressure plates.

*If you can't think of how simply having a lever also hooked to all the bridges would let you reset it manually.
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

Tigershark13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2009, 07:03:09 am »

hmmm... set it up so one bridge catapults them all into another raised bridge, causing them all to crash to the ground below, which has a pressure plate (or lever, or both :D) connected to a floodgate which lets the ocean in, and another floodgate which opens to wash the invaders into a giant drop which should kill them, then you can use haulers to collect weapons ect which washed down there :P

AtomicPaperclip

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2009, 02:50:47 pm »

Wouldn't they just fly over the raised bridge?

Originally I hadn't planned on keeping the equipment, but I don't have flux, so maybe I should at least keep orc gear.

Perhaps I should build a giant statue where markdwarves will shoot out of it's eye sockets
Dear Toady: Keep up the good work man, we appreciate you and the game beyond words.

ZergSpartan

• Bay Watcher
  • OH GOD BEES
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2009, 07:19:06 pm »

Well you could funnel some water critters into your canal/cistern setup. But then you might have to contend with carp dropping out of your dining room mister/waterfall and mauling diners before airdrowning. (Yes this has happened to me.)
"Yeah. My plan was to drop some kittens into the siege, and have my dwarves freefall into battle, landing on top of the kittens. The plan was kinda dumb though because the kittens were standing on grates, and the goblins killed them with arrows just as I was releasing the freefalling dwarves. So the dwarves weren't able to land on kittens and just fell and died."

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2009, 07:41:16 pm »

Bonus points if you figure out how to make it so that the bridges will automatically pop back out so you don't get anyone stuck on the pressure plates.
I thought of something like that a while ago. The pressure plate issue was dealt with by dumping water over the ground they were built on and the cistern used for the water was also the means of resetting the bridges. Never got round to testing it though...

You could also set things up so that the water comes from the side of the bridge instead of the top, sweeping everything on it over the edge. It would be a lot less fiddly to set up even if you had to do a bit of remodelling, since the water would never have to travel far. Pumps shove water around very quickly, and since waterwheels function even when submerged you can bury them at the bottom of the reservoir and have the whole system power itself.

...Actually I think I'd rather test that second idea.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2009, 07:49:33 pm »

AtomicPaperclip: Bridges fling stuff pretty randomly but some people's raising drawbridges.

Thanks to this if you've got a bridge over a moat and you go to raise it but an invader is already starting to cross you may fling them into the wall that the bridge was raising towards and have them explode like from a long fall.
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

TheDeadlyShoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Blog not found
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2009, 09:55:58 pm »

Set up a bridge maze-grid that alters every time one of them wanders over a pressure plate.
Lord have mercy and let me not throw up in this space helmet.

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2009, 10:05:55 pm »

Make sure the lower channel is sealed except for a few hatches or bridges.  Use a large cistern and some pumps to pressurize water on the lower level.  Then, when you want to get rid of something on the bridge, open the hatches--enemies won't have to worry about falling in so much as being pushed off.

AtomicPaperclip

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2009, 01:01:26 pm »

The creature idea is AWESOME but the only creatures on my map are rabbits and sperm whales, and I the sperm whales don't even appear on the unit list.

Maybe I'll set up two systems, a spear trap death machine and a washing machine

The first for the orcs, and the latter for the worthless goblins.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2009, 02:00:28 pm »

Try stacking a bunch of bridges vertically. Have them all in the same footprint, which is basically just a deep pit. This means any invaders will have to walk back and forth over the same chasm multiple times, and you can rig up a lever to infinitely repeat in order to cause the invading army to plummet to its doom, splattering down in the pit where the loot can be safely recovered.

Its a simple system, but highly effective.

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2009, 03:08:01 am »

Have a pump leading into the top of the bridge so you can "flush" it. And add carp into the cistern.

Ironhand

• Bay Watcher
  • the llama is laughing
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2009, 07:59:03 am »

If you're on an ocean you probably don't have access to carp. But sharks will work just as well.