Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Marking out big circles  (Read 5180 times)

Firnagzen

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_INSANE]
    • View Profile
Marking out big circles
« on: June 17, 2009, 11:48:32 pm »

Well, I have a bit of a problem. I want to dig out a really big circle, because circles are pretty. But I can't get it to actually be round, because it's so big, you can't really judge that well. I can, however, tell it's more like a rounded rectangle. Bah.

So, I ask: Is there an easy way to mark out a large circle for digging?
Christ, are you dwarves or are you elves? If you think Hell has too many demons, then you kill them till the population reaches an acceptable number.

Vengo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Marking out big circles
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2009, 11:53:37 pm »

Some people have fancy scripts they use to do it, but I haven't taken the time to learn how yet.

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2009, 11:56:37 pm »

Firnagzen

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_INSANE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2009, 11:59:05 pm »

...Too bad I'm on windows...
Christ, are you dwarves or are you elves? If you think Hell has too many demons, then you kill them till the population reaches an acceptable number.

Vengo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2009, 12:01:29 am »

Haha, you can say that again. It really is too bad you're on windows :(

Humberticus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2009, 12:10:29 am »

get a piece of graph paper, draw a circle on it, shade in the squares where the line intersects them, then use that as a blueprint for the excavation.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2009, 12:37:25 am »

Use MS paint.  Go in to max Zoom.  Use the circle utility to draw a circle the number of "tiles" wide you want - one tile = 1 pixel.  That will give you the math to do it manually.

Lav

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2009, 03:37:08 am »

Well, I have a bit of a problem. I want to dig out a really big circle, because circles are pretty. But I can't get it to actually be round, because it's so big, you can't really judge that well. I can, however, tell it's more like a rounded rectangle. Bah.

Look at it this way. A circle, by definition, is the collection of points which all have equal distance to a single point, called center.

And in DF, diagonal movement costs as much as straight movement. This means that what we uneducated humans call a square is actually a perfectly round and pretty dwarven circle!
Seems to be the way with things on this forum; if an invention doesn't involve death by magma then you know someone's going to go out of their way to make sure it does involve death by magma... then it gets acknowledged as being a great invention.

yuhhaur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2009, 03:51:58 am »

Use MS paint.  Go in to max Zoom.  Use the circle utility to draw a circle the number of "tiles" wide you want - one tile = 1 pixel.  That will give you the math to do it manually.

I second that.

mspaint is the best tool for aid in digging round shape in DF. Sometimes I wonder is it designed just for this purpose :P (Since I find it too amature for graphic editing)

DennyTom

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Urist!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2009, 03:52:20 am »

Haha, you can say that again. It really is too bad you're on windows :(

OS war even here? Cīmon ...

1) use any bitmap editor that supports grid (e.g. MS Paint), draw circle and use it as guide
2) get a very big piece of squared paper, draw circle and color each square that has more than 50% of volume (I hope this is correct name for it) inside the circle
3) I tried looking for some premade guides, I am sure, there is one posted on forum, but I can not find it
4) mathematical formula for circle is very easy, if you have mad math skill or good calc, you can count which squares are in circle

Then simply transfer your circle in DF. If you are lazy, use QuickFort on your bitmap.

In general, when creating complicated design, I suggest drawing it in vector editor, exporting into bitmap editor (clean it up little bit) and using the bmp as a guide.
It is so much easier to measure life in experience points...

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2009, 03:54:33 am »

Look at it this way. A circle, by definition, is the collection of points which all have equal distance to a single point, called center.

And in DF, diagonal movement costs as much as straight movement. This means that what we uneducated humans call a square is actually a perfectly round and pretty dwarven circle!
Which is why DF will never be in 3D. Perspective would drive you mad.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

DennyTom

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Urist!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2009, 04:13:23 am »

Which is why DF will never be in 3D. Perspective would drive you mad.

This is not true... Last year we defined sphere in my mathematical analysis class. Just one of "spheres" is a sphere - all others are just squares with more or less rounded corners.
It is so much easier to measure life in experience points...

tp12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2009, 04:17:07 am »

really? I thought it was like 1.7 movement cost to travel diagonally on the wiki... ill have to check that...
Untill recently, before stocks ran out, it rained cats and dogs in my fortress...

Gothmog

• Bay Watcher
  • Demands item in bedroom
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2009, 06:12:31 am »

For the lazy:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Shamelessly copied from... er... somewhere, I forgot  ;D

Lav

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2009, 07:15:27 am »

really? I thought it was like 1.7 movement cost to travel diagonally on the wiki... ill have to check that...
http://www.dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/Design_strategies
Section for "3D Map Format" and "Think diagonally"
Seems to be the way with things on this forum; if an invention doesn't involve death by magma then you know someone's going to go out of their way to make sure it does involve death by magma... then it gets acknowledged as being a great invention.
Pages: [1] 2