Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Is this an intended situation?? *SPOILERS*  (Read 1398 times)

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
Is this an intended situation?? *SPOILERS*
« on: June 17, 2009, 11:24:13 pm »

So I just made a for to try some stuff out...  I wanted to have a tower cap farm, magma workshops, and all the benefits of HFS so I used reveal to find where all the features were then reloaded and 'found' them all.  I breached the HFS by dropping a shaft 1 square away and then carving a fortification into the chamber so as to not release the demons.   After getting all that squared away I then went on to experiment with damming my underground river by dropping a block of stone from above (which worked well, but that's not part of this story), and then made the rather poor decision of recruiting all 7 of my dwarves into the military and sending them in to clean up the critters in the dried up channel of the river.  Well I shortly found out that noob recruits are no match for a mob of lizard men and ended up losing all 7, so I thought 'no biggie, I'll just reclaim and carry on'...

Well that is where the fun began.  When  I embarked I immediately started getting 'demons from the deep' spam and my 70 odd dwarves started killing SoF's while taking heavy casualties.  After a bit of this I was down to about 50 dwarves and was having no more demon spam, so I assumed that the demons were all dead so I started trying to clean up the mess and do what I could to deal with the tantruming dwarves running around.   However not 30 seconds into my break I start getting the demon spam again and am shortly down to 15 or so dwarves so I stopped and had a look at the untis list and counted no less than 25 dead SoF's and 3 living...

My confusion stems from how they managed get out of the pit as it was still sealed with a fortification, and why did it seem like they were continually respawning?  Is this normal when you try to reclaim a fortress where the HFS has been found, no matter if it was never actually breached with a navigable path?
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.

Candlejack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Is this an intended situation?? *SPOILERS*
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2009, 11:36:13 pm »

Did you kill their leader? I think you have to kill the leader to make them stop spawning.

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2009, 11:39:11 pm »

Did you kill their leader? I think you have to kill the leader to make them stop spawning.

I wonder if the leader was still down in the sealed pit?

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2009, 01:01:35 am »

For how they got out: I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest if DF doesn't track unit location when you abandon, so when you reclaim, it just says "There are these units on the map, put them down somewhere."

As for why you kept getting spam, demons start out stealthed, and you get a "demons in the deep" message every time one of them unstealths. Your dwarves killed the first set, but there were probably others on the other side of the map that needed some time to reach you.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2009, 10:49:58 am »

Thanks for the heads up there.  I have been playing with DF for a month or so now and am really enjoying how I am still discovering new fun almost daily!  Most other games I would have conquered and uninstalled by now ;P

For how they got out: I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest if DF doesn't track unit location when you abandon, so when you reclaim, it just says "There are these units on the map, put them down somewhere."

As for why you kept getting spam, demons start out stealthed, and you get a "demons in the deep" message every time one of them unstealths. Your dwarves killed the first set, but there were probably others on the other side of the map that needed some time to reach you.

Smew

• Bay Watcher
  • I'll kill you with my bear face.
    • View Profile
    • Deep Games for Deep Gamers
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2009, 10:58:28 am »

Also, the whole killing the leader thing isn't true, you just have to kill all of them, usually around 30 or so.

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2009, 02:47:15 pm »

Also, the whole killing the leader thing isn't true, you just have to kill all of them, usually around 30 or so.

Ah, thanks, with this in mind I may attempt another reclaim and see if I can end up with at least a couple non-tantruming survivors to carry on.

Efun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2009, 05:42:27 pm »

you know, after my year or so of playing dwarf fort... i have never found and adamantine and never found demons... i dont care if i spoiled the fun by reading posts like this but i want to find it and cant.... kinda ticks me off that this kinda stuff never happens to me.
Military dorfs are the busiest if their partner is also in the military, Military children are my forts future, also its hilariously tragic when a mother carrying her child into battle gets hit, and the baby dies....
I fixed that up for you.

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2009, 06:30:24 pm »

you know, after my year or so of playing dwarf fort... i have never found and adamantine and never found demons... i dont care if i spoiled the fun by reading posts like this but i want to find it and cant.... kinda ticks me off that this kinda stuff never happens to me.
Turn on all embark revealing in the init file, as well as in the worldgen parameters. Then, find yourself a nice spot with a cyan colored pound sing (or whatever it looks like on your tileset). Note down on which 48x48 square the cyan thing is, and dig vertical shafts in the middle of that. Then, dig around in the pretty cyan stuff that isnt microline, and have fun  ;D
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

Praetyre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2009, 08:42:26 pm »

Yep. You aren't going to find HFS unless you actively look for it, set up adamantine mining operations or get lucky.

Efun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2009, 08:47:10 pm »

Turn on all embark revealing in the init file, as well as in the worldgen parameters. Then, find yourself a nice spot with a cyan colored pound sing (or whatever it looks like on your tileset). Note down on which 48x48 square the cyan thing is, and dig vertical shafts in the middle of that. Then, dig around in the pretty cyan stuff that isnt microline, and have fun  ;D

wait.... thats what that is.... I thought it was and underground pool or sumting.... time to have fun
Military dorfs are the busiest if their partner is also in the military, Military children are my forts future, also its hilariously tragic when a mother carrying her child into battle gets hit, and the baby dies....
I fixed that up for you.