Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Is This Theme/Challenge Idea Feasible?  (Read 1218 times)

Praetyre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Is This Theme/Challenge Idea Feasible?
« on: June 17, 2009, 06:16:13 pm »

If this is the wrong section, I apologise.

Hello. I'm a relatively new user of Dwarf Fortress, having discovered the game on TVTropes and a Spore fansite a few weeks and many months ago, respectively. I'm greatly enjoying the game, and I'm wondering if this challenge, which TVTropes might call a "Town With A Dark Secret", is feasible. Note that all buildings will, if possible, have flooring in them.

Firstly, set up a fortress in a temperate wilderness woodland area, with 1 miner/mason, 1 architect/mechanic, 2 woodcutter/carpenter, 1 grower/cook, 1 grower/brewer and 1 trader dwarf. Use a pretty basic setup with equipment, but trade in a pick for an axe, and get both a brew-capable and aboveground food (ideally both, and ideally uniseasonal).

Do some stone mining, then set up temporary carpenter's workshops. After that, build two story houses (using wooden walls) with dining rooms, workplaces (if possible) and storage backrooms on the first floor, and bedrooms (about the size you'd expect in a typical family home) on the second floor.

For the grower/brewer's house, make the workplace a bar.

Dig out a small cave for your plump helmets, ideally near to your village. Plant some farms utilizing outdoor seeds, ideally uniseasonal ones like prickled berries.

Build a large, two story house house that will serve as the expedition leader/broker/mayors house, as well as housing a small guard. On the first floor, lay it out with some areas for aesthetics purposes, with statues, a meeting hall and the like. Build the mayor's office, with a door going to the side and through a door and trap filled corridor, culminating in a room with an entryway dropping directly down into the centre of the room below it.

Build a guardroom nearby, with barracks downstairs and a weapons storage area upstairs, with a "closet' guarded by a door (preferably iron) that contains several downwards staircases, going down to one level underground. Link it in a long tunnel to a medium sized, square shaped chamber (which we will build later) (for bonus points, engrave, ideally with something disturbing), and build a grate over the entrance to the chamber.

Build a bedroom or bedrooms upstairs for the houses inhabitants. Leave them unlinked to the barracks armoury.

Find an underground river (or some way of getting water through the tunnel and put a flood gate over another tunnel at an intersection bridging between the path to the chamber and to the water. (For bonus points, use magma). Then, get to work creating a room below the aforementioned room with the dropping entrance, and dig out a pit in the centre of it that is 2 Z-levels deep, digging out the top level first and then sending your dwarves to dig out the bottom level through the tunnel. Put some decorations in the room if you want, and set up some cage traps outside of your dwarves houses and around, say, a small shed with a 3-wide entrance holding a trade depot.

Dig out a small room below the mayor's office with two levers, one connected to the pit-grate, another to the river/magma-grate.

Now, capture some goblins or kobolds. Disarm them to strip them naked, and have them released into the pit mentioned earlier. Give them no food, save for the bodies of anything that has died in there. You can occasionally release the water or magma to clean up the pit and/or drown anything in there, though you will need to manage this to avoid flooding, perhaps using a series of floodgates and hooking them up to more levers in the same room used for the existing ones.

It gets even better if you get elves, because you can create a cannibal horrorshow. Other things you could do include a secret passageway from the lever-room to
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
, which you could make a "guardians of ancient secrets" or "cult" backstory for, getting a butcher and, in his storage room, putting a red herring room with a long pit (perhaps with spikes at the bottom) behind a door, "closet" style. You could also occasionally throw in a single piece of clothing or meat, and let them fight over it (multiple pieces if there are different species-sizes in the room. If you want to be extra cruel, make the only clothing of the wrong gender, so you'll have male goblin deathmatches over dresses (though it won't have any gameplay effect).

What do you think? Is this feasible? Are there major barriers or prerequisites, such as the digging out of the pit, or the transfer of cages around stairs, that I may need to adjust, work around (say, with using ramps instead of stairs down to the pit or dangers (flooding, goblins attacking after being released, etc.) I may need to know of?
« Last Edit: June 17, 2009, 06:27:43 pm by Praetyre »

Byakugan01

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Is This Theme/Challenge Idea Feasible?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2009, 06:28:54 pm »

Other than trapped goblins placing priority on running away and on nothing that doesn't belong to you needing to eat? No, but I'm afraid this alone kills the idea. A GCS spit and shrine to them might be better, if you ask me.
From Mr. Welch's 1350 things he is not allowed to do in a RPG:
148. There is no Gnomish Deathgrip, and even if there was, it wouldn't involve tongs.
171. My character's dying words are not allowed to be "Hastur, Hastur, Hastur"
218. No matter my alignment, organizing halfling pit fights is a violation.
231. I am not allowed to do anything that would make a Sith Lord cry.
240. Any character with more than three skills specializing in chainsaw is vetoed.

Efun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2009, 06:31:10 pm »

Seems very intriguing.... to bad my attention spans for forts goes uber down when i cant have them sealed off underground and safe, otherwise i would try thid
Military dorfs are the busiest if their partner is also in the military, Military children are my forts future, also its hilariously tragic when a mother carrying her child into battle gets hit, and the baby dies....
I fixed that up for you.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2009, 06:33:44 pm »

As above, you won't be able to make anything you capture starve or eat. But there are other ways to humiliate and torture any prisoners you have.

Certainly, this idea is doable. Indeed, I've had the idea for a while to make a labyrinth deep within a mountain full of creepy stuff like you mentioned, and then run a community game with it. It is definitely possible, if you have the determination.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Praetyre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2009, 06:42:55 pm »

Other than trapped goblins placing priority on running away and on nothing that doesn't belong to you needing to eat? No, but I'm afraid this alone kills the idea. A GCS spit and shrine to them might be better, if you ask me.

Hmm.. so locate the mayor's house near a river or underground river, built the pit down to that level, and build another tunnel to let the cave spiders in?

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2009, 09:07:35 pm »

I think if you give the gobbos the no fear tag they don't run away when you let them out of cages. Might have to do it before capturing them though as I'm not totally clear on how the "run away" behavior gets flagged.
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

Efun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2009, 09:50:36 pm »

I think if you give the gobbos the no fear tag they don't run away when you let them out of cages. Might have to do it before capturing them though as I'm not totally clear on how the "run away" behavior gets flagged.

Gobbo 1: TO BATTLE!!
5 gobbo deaths later
Gobbo 6: RUN THAT-A-WAY!!!

Thats usually the procedure, if the ambush or siege takes to much damage, RUN!
Military dorfs are the busiest if their partner is also in the military, Military children are my forts future, also its hilariously tragic when a mother carrying her child into battle gets hit, and the baby dies....
I fixed that up for you.

Praetyre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2009, 10:40:50 pm »

Hmm.. that could work, but I'd rather leave the RAWs untouched, since making Goblins fearless would probably have rather nasty consequences in combat situations, though I could do it in a new DF folder.

How about making the pit 1 Z level deeper, via digging a downwards staircase in the corridor leading right up to the grate (ideally right next to it), digging into and clearing out a new room, then sealing it off with a wall (sealing off the entire former corridor with walls, if necessary, then destroy the downwards staircase and drop goblins down into the pit from the grate, leaving them no way in which to possibly escape, and hence they wouldn't congregate towards the gate.

Only real problem I can see is them trying to go through the wall, hence my idea to wall up the whole corridor.

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2009, 03:53:07 am »

Gobbo 1: TO BATTLE!!
5 gobbo deaths later
Gobbo 6: RUN THAT-A-WAY!!!

Thats usually the procedure, if the ambush or siege takes to much damage, RUN!
but if you give them no fear after that do they keep running?

-

No, even if you dump them into a chamber with no way out they won't behave like warriors. For this reason arenas are quite pathetic- a couple of dogs will mow down a large number of goblins because they don't fight back. I think the only way the dogs die is from the counter attacks from goblins but that's basically like just shoving them off and eventually they land on the ground in a nasty way and strain their ankle.
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

Praetyre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2009, 07:58:23 pm »

Alright then. Perhaps a different "Dark Secret" should be used.

How about enabling to show HFS on the map, then building the pit
, digging down to it,
and then having the dwarf who mined it get back up out of the pit, this time leaving the lower-tunnel used to mine the third Z-level of the pit, walling it up, and
?

Only problems might be

Lymojo

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:SMARM][PREFSTRING:pendulous balls]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2009, 08:06:37 pm »

Other problems may include:

Praetyre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2009, 08:14:25 pm »

Well, the pit will be 3 Z levels deep. The first level will be open space on the same level as the room with the decorations and the like in it, the second level will be open space below that (the grate could still be used, perhaps to
. and the third levle is the floor of the pit, with nothing linking to the outside save a single tunnel blocked off by a wall.

Lymojo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2009, 08:23:27 pm »

Right. So that might fix what I was talking about, but

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2009, 10:54:49 pm »

Right. So that might fix what I was talking about, but

Lymojo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2009, 12:01:59 pm »

Another problem. I remember hearing something about this a long time ago, so it might be hearsay or just false, but...

Pages: [1] 2