Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: not another SPACE PIRATES ASCII BATTLE  (Read 3992 times)

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
not another SPACE PIRATES ASCII BATTLE
« on: June 17, 2009, 03:25:03 pm »

Goddamit can't those space pirates just have regular battles?
Argh!
It drives me crazy!
Anyway.
This is a new fufill-moral-obligation forum game similar to 'Because these are so popular... MASSIVE BATTLE'
Except MASSIVE BATTLE for does not have the following undeniably awesome things:
  • PIRATES!
  • LIGHTSABERS!
  • NINJAS!
  • CRAZY MAGES!
  • SPACE!
  • PIRATES!
  • PIRATES!!!
Now then.
You may be aware of my (now dead) RTD, also called SPACE PIRATES. This is, infact, SPACE PIRATES: CHAPTER 2. Chapter one was the RTD (I have now decided)
Chapter 2 is a direct continuation of chapter 1.

What is SPACE PIRATES?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
How does SPACE PIRATES ASCII BATTLE work?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Ok sweet now bring on the game!
Will do!
Scenario 1: Defend the portal!
Katsuun surveys his newly captured ship. Lewd thoughts of brothels cross his mind. The terrified crew cower before him, guarded by his two GOO MINIONS. One of the crew is slightly green. As he prepares to engage in silliness, he spots something out of the corner of his eye. Looks like a...
GOVERNMENT BATTLESHIP
OH SHIT!
There is no time to run, nowhere to hide. The hulking frigate draws along side the brig, and he espies dozens of soldiers lining the deck, and several richly-clad men with superior equipment looking at him quizzically.
Katsuun, naturally, runs the fudge away. Through the portal, back to the Prophesy Pirate's hollowed asteroid base. The crew and MINIONS follow suit, as dozens of soldiers swing across onto the brig. A voice is heard screaming; "After them, they have the portaportal!"
Katsuun runs towards the Morning Star (parked, as it is, into the side of a factory), looking back only briefly to see three red-shirted riflemen follow him through, with more on their way.
Shoruke, hearing the caffafel, comes up onto the deck. Curses, he thinks. More enemies.
Using his mind link with the value editor (sentient, FYI), he tells it to modify the output of every screen / broadcasting device possible to: Mysterious invaders attacking through portal by Morning Star, send help.
The crew's members prophesy displays flash up; "And the third will be all like, 'come back to the ship, random enemies'- or something like that"

Spoiler: Key (click to show/hide)
GOAL: Katsuun must de-activate the portal to stop the invaders. This requires 2 safe turns in which to fiddle with the orbs that control the portals.
NOTES: Reinforcements (for you) are on their way. The shacks may spawn people to help you. Shoruke has no ranged weapons. Katsuun only has magic. However, they could nick one from a corpse... and the Long Nine (big thing on deck of Morning Star) could be turned round, to fire upon the redshirts.
HINTS: These three redshirts are not the only ones. More are on their way.

ONE LAST THING:

This is a test of an unproven system I just made up real fast! Modifications may be made at any time, even during this scenario. Expect such changes to happen.
Also, actual orders are unnecessary. Simply say, (example): GOO MINIONS attack redshirts, terrified crew move South, Katsuun use magic and move towards the ship.

Ready... set... go!

Phew that was a long post.
Long Live United Forenia!

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: not another SPACE PIRATES ASCII BATTLE
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2009, 03:52:23 pm »

Yay, Space Pirates chapter 2.

If my mandate for that Really really really really BIG GUN had gone through, we wouldn't be in this mess.

I propose that the crew from a battle line spread 1 square apart and open fire. Shoruke should work on getting the Long Nine ready to give supporting fire, the goo should withdraw to the ship for now. Katsuun should stand within range to lead the crew, hiding behind them, sniping with magic.

For future turns, I vote on a tactical withdraw to the ship until the crew is in Shoruke's leadership range, with Katsuun then able to take cover behind the railing of the Morning Star and close the portal. Naturally, the untrained crew is expendable.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2009, 03:56:31 pm »

If my mandate for that Really really really really BIG GUN had gone through, we wouldn't be in this mess.
I propose that the crew from a battle line spread 1 square apart and open fire.
Mandate: Oh, it's still underway. No worries.
Crew: If by 'open fire' you mean 'throw rocks' (range: 1 damage: 1 Fixed +1 to accuracy) then fine. If not, you may wish to rethink.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2009, 04:13:25 pm »

Oops, automatically figured they'd have mildly useful weapons. I read the notes, really. I guess wishful thinking clouded my reading ability. What's the range on leadership?

Edit - Does Katsuun need two consecutive turns to close the portal, or just two turns?
« Last Edit: June 17, 2009, 04:26:50 pm by Nirur Torir »

Wild Goose

• Bay Watcher
  • My Avatar Has Something Green. Yay solidarity!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2009, 04:55:49 pm »

Shoruke needs to man the Long Nine.  Katsun should move forward, and then blast the enemies with magic twice.
As for the rest, CHARGE!!!  (Seems they've only got melee weapons)
"Adventurer's Motto; Take everything not nailed down and nail down whoever tries to stop you."

"Whatever happens, we have got the ballista and they have not."

The dwarven economy is just a stand-in, from what I understand. As it is, it represents an actual economic system about as well as poison ivy represents a salad.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re:SPACE PIRATES ASCII BATTLE-Defend the portal!
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2009, 06:38:58 am »

Oops, automatically figured they'd have mildly useful weapons. I read the notes, really. I guess wishful thinking clouded my reading ability. What's the range on leadership?

Edit - Does Katsuun need two consecutive turns to close the portal, or just two turns?
-Units that require a leader must be able to see someone with a Ld. of 5 or higher, or they will do crazy things. Leadership range is something else, that being anything within Ld. squares of source.
-Two consecutive turns.
Also, yes. Terrified peasants = useless, expendable crap.
Anyway, to get things moving, turn!
TURN 1

The front group charges the redshirts. The redshirts shoot two crew before the first man clashes- the left GOO MINION charges rapidly into the left redshirt, but does not injure him. The rest of the crew piles on, doing no damage, although the middle redshirt strikes the green crewmember. Bob (the green crewmember) runs off, bleeding. Katsuun shoots two bolts of magic at the left and middle redshirt, killing them both. Shoruke manages to turn the Long Nine around, but doesn't act, as not to risk killing allies.
Sergeant Redshirt appears! (big red R)
Sergeant Redshirt comes from a long line of redshirt commanders. His family name is, infact, Redshirt. He is armed with a (red) lightsaber and wields a plasma blaster. His men love him, and he loves them.
6/6/5 sbr. class. 2 lives. +1 Y to surrounding (one tile in every direction) redshirts.
Heroic Dive: 50% chance ranged kill to Sergeant Redshirt kills adjacent redshirt instead.
Plasma Blaster: Range: 4 Damage: 6
The portal looks different.

NOTES: More redshirts are liable to come through next turn. However, allied reinforcements will also arrive (although what kind is uncertain). The Long Nine can be fired once per turn, but when hitting has a large explosive range. The shot will always hit, but the epicenter of the explosion will may deviate. It will do a lot of damage. (D5+2 static)
HINT: Units can loot corpses... (2 actions) A lack of training with a weapon would have penalties, but still. Guns! (redshirt corpses have laser rifles lootable: Range: 3, Damage: 4- different stats due to untrainedness)

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2009, 07:00:38 am »

Crew should loot and back off, right goo should attack and back off, left goo should back off, Katsuun should fire twice and back off, then Shoruke should fire at Sargent Redshirt once everybody is out of the blast radius.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2009, 07:35:29 am »

Can I be a reinforcement? Pwease?

And oh, what Nirur said.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2009, 08:57:20 am »

I would also like to be a reinforcement.
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2009, 09:35:19 am »

And oh, what Nirur said.
All players of chapter one will feature in Chapter 2. Who gets to join scenario 1 is not yet fixed.
Whether or not you would like to be reinforcements is irrelevant. Your developed characters will feature in this and (most) future SPACE PIRATES forum games.

thunderclan

• Bay Watcher
  • Like Fire, You Will Blaze Through The Forest
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2009, 12:54:58 pm »

And oh, what Nirur said.
All players of chapter one will feature in Chapter 2. Who gets to join scenario 1 is not yet fixed.
Whether or not you would like to be reinforcements is irrelevant. Your developed characters will feature in this and (most) future SPACE PIRATES forum games.

Glad to hear it. I like where this is going.

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
  • There's a Prinny in Fire Emblem, dood!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2009, 02:47:04 pm »

I hadn't noticed this thread until just now, ackshyully. Sorry about that. I assume I get to control my own character even in this new ASCII-draw game mode?

"KATSUUN GET OUTTA THE WAY!" And once he's out of the way, open fire on cap'n sergeant redshirt with whatever gun will point at him. If more than one gun can point at cap'n sergeant redshirt right now, I'll have the Value Editor control that one.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2009, 02:52:24 pm by shoruke »
The Unforgotten Beast, Shoruke, has come! A pale-skinned human. It has heterochromatic eyes and moves in an unpredictable manner. Beware its rapier wit!

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2009, 12:58:10 pm »

I hadn't noticed this thread until just now, ackshyully. Sorry about that. I assume I get to control my own character even in this new ASCII-draw game mode?
As he bears your name you have an executive vote as too his actions. So yes, basically.
Anyways, I shall get the next turn up soon.

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
  • There's a Prinny in Fire Emblem, dood!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2009, 02:43:44 pm »

As he bears your name you have an executive vote as too his actions. So yes, basically.

Yay!

Anyways, I shall get the next turn up soon.

Also yay!
The Unforgotten Beast, Shoruke, has come! A pale-skinned human. It has heterochromatic eyes and moves in an unpredictable manner. Beware its rapier wit!

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2009, 10:16:00 am »

Turn 2
You didn't think it was coming, did you?

The two remaining crewman grab the fallen redshirts' rifles from under the Sergeant's nose, then run off. Katsuun fires a (inefective) blast of magic, and then runs joins them in their running. The goo minions (the right one nursing a wound courtesy of the right redshirt) flee too, and Shoruke fires the Long Nine. The remaining redshirt is blown to smithereens, but Sergeant Redshirt manages to escape harm.  Enraged, Sergeant Redshirt charges forwards, and after a brief exchange of blows, strikes down another crewman. Katsuun once again tries to cast magic against him, but it fails to kill him, so he runs off. Bob continues to flee.

REINFORCEMENTS: Who will it be?
Generating random reinforcements...
Cheeetar (Yellow C) arrives leading 4 pirates!
A player of chapter 1. Cheeetar is a black-hearted mechanic-type lightsaberer chappy. He wields an orange lightsaber.
7/5/6 Sbr. class.
Ld:7 (can lead fleets)
Tinker (2 actions): Modify any stat of a Mch. class unit by one point.
Backstab: -1 static Y to enemy unit when attacking from rear (rear determined by previous action's direction)
Pirates (blue p)
These men can either fight well, or they are dead. As these are alive, they can fight well. They came from lawless worlds, or broke the laws, and spent their years raiding merchant vessels and such. They are armed with lightsabers and laser pistols.
5/3/4 sbr. class.
4 Ld.
Laser pistol. Range: 3, Damage: 3
Can charge.
Rigging: +1 Z when fighting on a ship.
Four redshirts come through the portal.

NOTES: Climbing the side of the ship counts as one whole move. You can climb half way up, although you can't do anything whilst climbing.
I forgot to add Katsuun's Sum. class bonuses to the GOO MINIONS for ages, so they probably should have killed a bunch of guys they didn't. But I'm not going back to change it, so it only has effect from now on.
Pages: [1] 2