Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: websites getting hacked?  (Read 6479 times)

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
websites getting hacked?
« on: June 17, 2009, 06:02:27 am »

im seeing these things popping up on a lot of the websites im on, they automatically send me to a completly unreleated site and use those messages "are you sure you want to go away form this page?" that you usually find on sites that try to give you a popup everytime you try to exit out of them and in which backspacing doesnt work.

why are all these getting like this? anime sites, flash game sites. ive using them and now they are suddenly getting these messed up messages.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
Re: websites getting hacked?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2009, 06:06:02 am »

I think I know what's going on.  It's not that every website you go to is hacked, it's your computer.  Specifically, you picked up some kind of quote, ad assistant, unquote, that automatically redirects you all the time to some website someone's willing to break the law to promote.  Adware, in other words.

Sweep and clear man.  These one usually aren't too sophisticated, so it shouldn't be too hard to kill.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Asheron

• Bay Watcher
  • Look in to my eyesssss.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ihavenoideathissiteexcisted.com
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2009, 06:10:09 am »

These one usually aren't too sophisticated, so it shouldn't be too hard to kill.
You would be surprised how stubborn some adware can be. Now, an adware connected to a rootkit, that's hell.

And, yes, Micro, that pretty much sounds like adware. When you have problems with the internet, ALWAYS expect it to be because of your computer.

Quote from: Toady One
Did you just post a bunch of vegi-dicks on my board?  I've been trying to combat forum devolution a bit, and that involves fewer vegi-dicks!
Quote from: Yahtzee
Yes, random is funny, isn't it? Sometimes I set up a random number generator when I need a good laugh.

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2009, 06:12:22 am »

This is an annoying trick. :(

You can use the pulldown browse history and skip back to before the redirect to reclaim your page.

Or set your browser to open all new links in a new window or tab, then you won't lose your page.

Are there redirects happening automatically? This is more difficult.
It is possible you have spyware on your system, better do scans with as many anti-spyware products you can find.
If your system is clean and it is still happening, you could notify the webmasters of your forwarding sites.

ed: huh, 2 were before me. :)
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2009, 06:48:45 am »

Yeah, you got infected with spy/malware probably. Just a note: Be careful with spyware/malware killers. Some of those programs are FUBAR. Like a year ago I downloaded some spyware killer, and 10 minutes later I couldn't use my comp. It totally messed up the registry.  ::)

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2009, 08:31:46 am »

yeah, always check on user sites for reviews about any tool you are thinking of installing.
Or ask a friendly ICT person or forum knowitall about some good ones.

edit:
I recently got hit by a trojan downloader, one of the spywares that were installed also opened popup I-explorer windows for a variety of sites. Funny thing is even while officially explorer is uninstalled, it can still be used by windows-programms or these mallicious softwares. ::)
« Last Edit: June 17, 2009, 08:35:25 am by Areyar »

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2009, 08:45:15 am »

I recently got hit by a trojan downloader, one of the spywares that were installed also opened popup I-explorer windows for a variety of sites. Funny thing is even while officially explorer is uninstalled, it can still be used by windows-programms or these mallicious softwares. ::)

I've got another computer that's practically unusable because of that crap.  On a related note, I didn't you could uninstall Internet Explorer.  Doesn't that make Windows fuck up in protest?
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2009, 09:10:29 am »

You can and I have, but there is still an legacy version of it somewhere in the WINDOWS directory. Invisible from the startmenu or unistall_software menu, but still there.
Windows drags around these ancient modules of code from version to version...things like minesweeper etal.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2009, 09:12:42 am »

Actually some arn't spyware on your computer they are rather simple to pull off.

Make a pop up and make the x close the program but open up two in its place.

Using the Back button? Well lets just have a page on the website move you back and open up another popup.

The only reason popups arn't that bad now is because most people won't stand for them. Go to a site that does underhanded things however and you will never escape that blackhole.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2009, 04:46:54 pm »

its now spyware ive got norton 360 program, looks through everything but nothing detected. and its not the same website either, some times its just refusing me to leave a page without confirming it 3 times. (and backtracking twice at a time fixes not letting you backtrack.)

also........THOSE DAM AUDIO ADS THAT YOU CANT TURN OFF!!!!

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2009, 05:00:38 pm »

Oh!  I'm glad you've got Norton!  You're right, if one program didn't detect it, it COULDN'T be spyware.

Someone else can recommend a better one I'm sure, maybe Lavasoft ad-aware.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2009, 05:05:25 pm »

i see your doubt, but why would one of the top computer protection companies not have a way to detect such an obvious spyware?

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2009, 05:12:49 pm »

because some spywares are tailored to interfere with the most common virusscanners.
That is why it is advisable to use several even if they may interfere with one another.
Also not all varieties of malware are detected by each product.

Search&destroy ,  AGV antivir , NOD32 antivir, ccleaner is a handy tool too when infected
trend micro has a nice online scanner (panda?).

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2009, 05:17:14 pm »

i see your doubt, but why would one of the top computer protection companies not have a way to detect such an obvious spyware?

There is no one ring to hold em all.  Learn well that.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2009, 05:18:00 pm »

Norton isn't one of the top spyware programs. At all. In fact, it's one of the very worst.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5