Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Getting the word out  (Read 2635 times)

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats? Check. FPS? Uh-oh...
    • View Profile
Re: Getting the word out
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2008, 09:20:11 am »

For now I think word-of-mouth is all this game needs.  In it's currently unfinished and buggy state, only a few types of people/gamers would stay to enjoy it.  Those types, as others have said previously, tend to find games like DF on their own or through like-minded people.  This game is not ready for the general public.
If software was real world, then it'd be something equivalent of hitting a nail with a hammer and having a building collapse on the other side of town.

Don't worry people, sometimes -moments occur

Lazer Bomb

• Bay Watcher
  • Sine! Cosine! TANGENT!
    • View Profile
    • Homepage 60☼
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2008, 10:13:22 am »

I think Dwarf Fortress is getting all the attention it needs... Don't force the issue

Those people who you invite and leave because the game is rather unfinished are potential donators who could have stayed to donate if they had come at a much later date.

Complete agreement here. The longer we, as a community, wait before spreading DF to every corner of the universe, the more finished it will be, and thus more people will actually enjoy it, becoming permanant members of the DF group, and then I can finish this huge run-on sentence.
Kagus: "Still, demonic spelunking is always a promising idea."

Idiom

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_THOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2008, 11:53:05 am »

Yes, I'd have to say its best we wait so we don't have as many people turned away.
Advertising to specialty groups, like ASCII game forums or god game communities & etc, would probably be fine though.

Jamuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2008, 05:34:38 pm »

I would worry about the negative publicity that might be generated by more people who aren't looking for the game seeing it.  Think of the problems caused by the person who thinks DF is stupid.  They will tell everyone else that it is stupid.  While it is still by word of mouth, people can help show the newer players just how great of a game DF is.  Maybe I'm being paranoid but I doubt it would cause any great benefit to advertise to the masses until finished, seeing as how DF is not the most mainstream game.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2008, 05:52:32 pm »

I agree with Jamuk.   The people that would want to play DF tend to be amongst circles that'd find it on their own.   It's a sort of specialty thing, ya know?
Pages: 1 [2]