Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Odd artifacts  (Read 1631 times)

shevek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Odd artifacts
« on: June 16, 2009, 08:56:17 pm »

Iton Thadingiz just created Useniklist Nekitat, "Helpedwhispered the Cold Chill" during a strange mood.

It is a rock salt grate. On the item is an image of rock salt grate in rock salt.

I guess she loves rock salt. Also grates.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
Re: Odd artifacts
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2009, 09:10:17 pm »

Meh. Could be an image of itself, since they have no toher artifacts to reference (happens a ton with your first few artifacts in a world).

I can do ya one better. Planestar the Reward of Beards. The Ashen Bow. (protip: dwarves can't use bows)
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2009, 09:39:24 pm »

The Ashen Bow. (protip: dwarves can't use bows)

It could be worse. Dwarves can use bows in weapon traps and purchase arrows from elves and humans; with the proper placement of said trap, it can not only help protect your fortress, but it can generate plenty of nice thoughts to boot as your dwarves gaze on the artifact-based trap as they enter your fortress.

Now an artifact blowgun, now that's useless.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2009, 09:56:13 pm »

The Ancient Mess-ash, a highwood piccolo.

It's wierd because I've never seen an artifact name with a hyphen in it before now. I realize it's possible, I've just never seen one before. I've had 27 artifacts in this fort alone before this one and none of them have hyphens in them.

Also Leaderdoused, a donkey bone scepter, and Cleftowns the Doused Bandit, a perfect pink tourmaline; my dwarves seem obsessed with drowning things, but I've seen neither barons nor kobolds nor infinite water source to attempt drowning projects with.

EDIT: this is somewhat unrelated, but the legendary jewelery who created the tourmaline just died like a minute ago from deconstructing walls in the wrong order and falling down to the next solid object, some 21 z-levels down. Oh well.

EDIT2: Speakofthedevil, Tunnelwounds has just been made a Barony. Still don't have enough water to fulfill the prophecy, though.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2009, 10:19:01 pm by Untelligent »
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Awayfarer

• Bay Watcher
  • Bork!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2009, 06:57:39 am »

Meh. Could be an image of itself, since they have no toher artifacts to reference (happens a ton with your first few artifacts in a world).

I can do ya one better. Planestar the Reward of Beards. The Ashen Bow. (protip: dwarves can't use bows)

I once had a fort where three of the first four artifacts were bows.
--There: Indicates location or state of being.
"The ale barrel is over there. There is a dwarf in it."
--Their: Indicates possession.
"Their beer has a dwarf in it. It must taste terrible.
--They're: A contraction of the words "they are".
"They're going to pull the dwarf out of the barrel."

taf_esra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2009, 01:06:14 pm »

if you set all three of those bows in one trap would dwarfs be more likely to admire the trap? and if they do would it be admiration x3?

DI7789

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2009, 02:04:13 pm »

Blowguns are worse than bows. Have you seen a single (unmodded) race that can use a blowgun? and at least a third of all my artifacts have been blowguns
Gone on hiatus due to RL. Major apologies to all involved in LP thread.

Blacken

• Bay Watcher
  • Orange Polar Bear
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2009, 02:23:57 pm »

if you set all three of those bows in one trap would dwarfs be more likely to admire the trap? and if they do would it be admiration x3?

The value would be very high, but dorfs only get a certain boost of admiration from an awesome construction. You'd probably need three traps.
"There's vermin fish, which fisherdwarves catch, and animal fish, which catch fisherdwarves." - Flame11235

geoduck

• Bay Watcher
  • mollusk
    • View Profile
    • Geoduck's Page
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2009, 02:18:47 am »

Here's one created by a dwarf with a disturbing alligator fetish:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Geoduck's graphic set: simple and compact!

Gergination

• Bay Watcher
  • The world is on fire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2009, 02:24:10 am »

How does one "rip" someone's mouth?  To have such a delicate maneuver done by an alligator is quite a feat.

I'm guessing and hoping that a child made that.  Nothing quite like children fanatically carving images of alligators ripping off limbs.
With [SLOW_LEARNER], dwarves probably don't sit around and talk anymore. They just stand in the same corner altogether, staring at each other, sticking their bearded lips out trying to make sounds. And giggling when someone actually says a whole word.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2009, 02:33:48 am »

I was wondering that too, like how does it happen without the alligator taking a chunk of the face (nose, eyes) or the whole head even.

Scruga

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McDwarf cancels eat: Interupted by goat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2009, 02:41:54 am »

perhaps the gator ripped of the lower jaw of the human?
New question! If I were to remove elves [INTELLIGENT] tag in the raws, would it work?
Dwarf Fortress: Where taking a creatures intelligence is an accepted way of modding.

shevek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2009, 07:36:42 am »

Its fantastic that having his mouth ripped off makes him "cringe."

Haedrian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2009, 09:07:25 am »

Colddull the Top of Day- copper high boot

and

Dreamypleated the Evaporated Trammels - tower cap bin!

On the plus side, the first 2 artifacts my fort got were a weapon and armor = a legendary weaponsmith and armorsmith. And this map has everyone's fave blue metal ... hooray
When life gives you kittens, make biscuits

Likes llamas for their long necks

ephrion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2009, 10:44:02 am »

My dwarves love to create artifact beds.  My first artifact that I can remember was a ruby bed that menaced with spikes of turtle shell.  Can't remember what it was called.  More recently, I got "Tireddie the Decent Dreams".
Pages: [1] 2